2016~2023 CX-9 DIY Cylinder head replacement (workshop/service manual)

The cracks are very hard to see. I looked over them the first time.

The cracks in the bolt holes are not the reason why it was leaking coolant.

You can see the white spot which is dried coolant

Attachments

• B1774C62-6B29-4301-9DEB-5E6E71AE09D0.jpeg
    B1774C62-6B29-4301-9DEB-5E6E71AE09D0.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 38
I had the cylinder head replaced on mine and since then I’ve gone through 2 sets of Injector seals. The car runs great with no issues until a cold engine start fails to fire and I get an immediate gasoline odor. Low fuel pressure code. Engine cranks without firing, gas pours out on the ground, message on HUD says “pull over and stop in a safe place”. In both cases, I was able to eventually get the car to run but streams of fuel from front and/or back side of engine run out into puddles under the car.

First occurrence was close to home so a local mechanic diagnosed leaking seals on 2 cylinders (3&4). Replaced all 4 seals at a cost of $260.

Second occurrence happened last Friday afternoon when I was over 300 miles from home. Could see the stream of gas from under the fuel rail on cylinder 1. Found a repair shop that got me one injector seal kit thinking I could replace it in a hotel parking lot as local mechanics all closed for the weekend. Through the evening, I discovered a drive thru lube shop that also offered mechanic services that was open from 8-5 on Saturdays so I booked an online appointment for noon the next day. Struggled to keep the car running long enough to drive a couple tenths of a mile from the hotel to the shop but got it there before they opened and was waiting at the door when they opened. I really needed to get the car fixed to make the 5 hour drive home that day. They replaced all four seals. Two of the 4 weren’t just torn but partially gone. They ripped me off with $627 for the job. Tire Engineers and Lube Express in Trussville, AL, Crooks and rude to boot.

I have no doubt that the issue will occur again as the “fix” both times was just replacing leaking seals with new seals. Thinking we may have lost part of the fuel rail and/or injector components during the head replacement. Seems the seals are getting mechanically damaged in some way that allows them to seal for awhile until the damage eventually cuts through the seal.

The immediate leak upon engine restart (cold restart in both cases) is what puzzles me. In both occasions, I believe it was only one leaking seal at first but after running the engine while that seal was leaking, additional seals were damaged.

Wife is ready to sell the car after the $1000’s we’ve spent in parts & repairs. I’m willing to order an injector and 3 more injector seal kits from Mazda and do the job myself next time to see if I can figure out what’s causing the seals to be destroyed.

Can’t find a detailed diagram of fuel rail and injectors to confirm what I suspect. If someone has something that would show the correct seals installed on the injector and the fuel rail with screws and any washers or spacers at the attachment surface of the cylinder head, I would appreciate it.

Any other theories as to the repeated injector seal failures?

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpeg
    IMG_8592.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8594.jpeg
    IMG_8594.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 18
I had the cylinder head replaced on mine and since then I’ve gone through 2 sets of Injector seals. The car runs great with no issues until a cold engine start fails to fire and I get an immediate gasoline odor. Low fuel pressure code. Engine cranks without firing, gas pours out on the ground, message on HUD says “pull over and stop in a safe place”. In both cases, I was able to eventually get the car to run but streams of fuel from front and/or back side of engine run out into puddles under the car.

First occurrence was close to home so a local mechanic diagnosed leaking seals on 2 cylinders (3&4). Replaced all 4 seals at a cost of $260.

Second occurrence happened last Friday afternoon when I was over 300 miles from home. Could see the stream of gas from under the fuel rail on cylinder 1. Found a repair shop that got me one injector seal kit thinking I could replace it in a hotel parking lot as local mechanics all closed for the weekend. Through the evening, I discovered a drive thru lube shop that also offered mechanic services that was open from 8-5 on Saturdays so I booked an online appointment for noon the next day. Struggled to keep the car running long enough to drive a couple tenths of a mile from the hotel to the shop but got it there before they opened and was waiting at the door when they opened. I really needed to get the car fixed to make the 5 hour drive home that day. They replaced all four seals. Two of the 4 weren’t just torn but partially gone. They ripped me off with $627 for the job. Tire Engineers and Lube Express in Trussville, AL, Crooks and rude to boot.

I have no doubt that the issue will occur again as the “fix” both times was just replacing leaking seals with new seals. Thinking we may have lost part of the fuel rail and/or injector components during the head replacement. Seems the seals are getting mechanically damaged in some way that allows them to seal for awhile until the damage eventually cuts through the seal.

The immediate leak upon engine restart (cold restart in both cases) is what puzzles me. In both occasions, I believe it was only one leaking seal at first but after running the engine while that seal was leaking, additional seals were damaged.

Wife is ready to sell the car after the $1000’s we’ve spent in parts & repairs. I’m willing to order an injector and 3 more injector seal kits from Mazda and do the job myself next time to see if I can figure out what’s causing the seals to be destroyed.

Can’t find a detailed diagram of fuel rail and injectors to confirm what I suspect. If someone has something that would show the correct seals installed on the injector and the fuel rail with screws and any washers or spacers at the attachment surface of the cylinder head, I would appreciate it.

Any other theories as to the repeated injector seal failures?
I am not too familiar with high pressure fuel pumps/ injectors but I reused the original injector seals (140k miles) with no issues.

It’s almost like your getting too much pressure or your missing a seal/ bushing to direct the pressure properly

There are 4 seals/ bushings total that come in an injector seal kit plus the clip

Back