CPE HPFP installation - Extra steps with CPE's instructions

Trader

:
2008.5 MS3 - MSCAI2 as SRI,Cobb AP, CPE MM
I got my CPE pump. I have read all the instructions here on line:

http://www.mazda speed forums.org/forum/mazdaspeed-3-how-tos/11215-camshaft-driven-fuel-pump-internals-upgrade.html

http://krystmsgarage.com/?p=180

^^^^^ These make sense

But CPE's instructions show some extra steps. I am confused about why these are there, and if they are required.

Here is where cpe's instructions differ from Krystm's and CraigHjr's:

After removing the two top quick connects, spill valve control solenoid, and loosening the high pressure line pipe installation nut. The next step is to Drain the engine coolant???

From cpe's instructions:

9. Disconnect the high pressure line pipe of the high pressure fuel pump.
10. Drain engine coolant. (see01-12B-4 ENGINE COOLANT REPLACEMENT[L3 WITH TC].)
11. Loosen the water outlet case installation bolts securing the high pressure line pipe.
12. Remove the high pressure fuel pump.
13. Remove the high pressure fuel pump cover.
14. Tighten the bolts on the high pressure fuel pump cover.
15. Tighten the bolts on the high pressure fuel pump.
16. Assemble the high pressure line pipe.
17. Tighten the water outlet case installation bolts.
18. Install the quick release connectors.
So the extra steps are 10, 11, 13, 14, & 17.

Can anybody shed some light on these extra steps?

Why would I need to drain the engine coolant and loosen the water outlet case installation bolts? Is this just to loosen the high pressure line to make removal easier??

What is the high pressure fuel pump cover, and why tighten its bolts?

Thanks

Krystm's and CraigHjr's directions are for changing the internals only.
You are changing the whole pump aren't you?
That is the difference.
Do what CPE tells you to do.

cp-e forgot something: change your brake pads and drain your windshield washer fluid before install, drive for 1000k and refill windshield washer fluid
hpfp cover = tmic lol

lol idk why they instruct you to do all that, i changed mine last night. It was as easy as unbolt the old from the housing, replace with new, and tighten down. if its your first time doing it, be careful for the bottom drain fitting, sometimes its a b**** to get the pipe to line back up with the bottom of the pump fitting, but it will go in if you tighten the pump down correctly, as in tighten the 3 bolts little by little in a circle, pulling the pump to the housing.

follow the first 8 pictures of krystm's instructions, then the last 3 pictures and the instructions above the 4th photo(from the bottom) to install your pump

also just fyi...

folks following the walk-through for internals should note that it is a BAD idea to use gas to clean the internals and NOT lubricate them after.

Back