Core 2 Duo worth it?

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
Stepping out of our 6 year old laptop into a new one. No gaming, most intense use it will get is Hulu and Photoshop. Is the Core 2 Duo worth the extra $160? thanks (Current processor is a Pentium 4 @ 2.53ghz.)

Processors

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache) [Included in Price]

+ Performance Processors

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.40GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache) [add $160 or $5/month1]

For what your doing, probably good with the stock processor I'd say.(boom07)

I'd go with the upgraded processor if it is in your budget. The faster bus speed and triple the amount of cache memory along with the bump in processor speed will make a noticeable difference in intensive Photoshop operations.

I'd go with the upgraded processor if it is in your budget. The faster bus speed and triple the amount of cache memory along with the bump in processor speed will make a noticeable difference in intensive Photoshop operations.

+1

given the large architectural differences between the two, you should see noticeable gains with the upgraded processor. also, given the form factor (notebook instead of something like a desktop), the option to upgrade a while down the road doesn't exist.

and in the grand scheme of things, if you keep this notebook as long as the one that you're stepping up from (~6 years), the $160 will be money well spent.

on a side note .. given how long you seem to keep notebooks, you may want to go with a discrete graphics option. not that you need it for gaming, but it may come in handy from time to time.

Back