conversation mirror

xarthan

anyone got one installed in their vehical? If so what mirror did you use? trying to get some recommendations for one

I know that this is probably not what you want but I bought a baby view mirror from wallyworld for $5 so that i can see my 1+ yr old seated behind me in the back seat. Found out that you can flex the plastic mirror to make it convex like a conversation mirror. It can be clipped on to the visor or suctioned to the windshield.

AMEN! ^^

Conversation Mirror = Stupid contraption that mounts to your existing mirror to look at the rear passenger/s while having a conversation with them instead of paying attention to the road ahead that someone that cannot multi-task invented and is filthy rich making money on.

All right you've got me curious now. What is this and what does it do?

It's a second rearview mirror (with a more convex shape) that let's you see the passengers behind you. It can hang under your actual rearview mirror, or fit in your sunglasses case on the roof. It's standard on a lot of minivans and other cars. See here

Even though it's called a "conversation" mirror, it's more of a convenience device to glance at your passengers while driving (usually your kids), rather than to maintain a conversation with someone (you can do that without looking at them). The glance doesn't take any more time than using the regular rearview mirror.

For example, I like to be able to quickly verify that my daughter has fallen asleep in her car seat (behind driver's seat) on my way home at night, which I can do with a quick glance. If she's still awake, I'll take a slightly longer route home to ensure that she does :). For people with older kids, I guess it could also let you confirm that no one is spurting blood if a fight breaks out.

For me it's safer having it than not, because otherwise I'd succumb to the temptation of looking over my shoulder, which is 100x worse. Hence my request for more info on it for the CX-9 like the OP.

hmm glance at the conversation mirror for a few seconds or turn around for a few seconds

what's safer here?

or just keep your eyes on the road?

correct, that is always the safest option. So I assume you also use a helmet whenever you drive, have installed 5-point harnesses/rollcage in your CX-9, and don't use your radio/phone to avoid distraction?

for the rest of us, in the real world, we try to strike a balance between 100% safety and 100% convenience. so we use regular shoulder belts. and phones via bluetooth. and conversation mirrors.

I have a 15 year old a 10 year old and a 10 month old...all boys. I dont need a stupid conversation mirror to put them back in place whenever the (very seldom) occasional fight breaks out in the back (between the 15 and 10 year old). A simple repremending with a raised voice while keeping my eyes on the road is enough to get them back in line.

As far as my 10 month old, if he is quiet then he is asleep. If he is playing with his toy, talking gibrish, and/or crying, then he is awake...very simple, dont need a damn mirror for that either.

C'mon people (that use or want a "conversation mirror") stop making excuses about wanting or having one and just simply teach disipline to your kids and teach them who's the boss, so a simple repremending will put them in place.

Yeah? Well I beat my kids daily just to show them who's boss, even if they haven't done anything wrong! (smash)

In all seriousness, I don't think it's as helpful when you have older kids as in your case, mainly because older kid(s) can clearly communicate verbally and to some extent 'keep tabs' on what's going on back there. Mine are 2 yrs and the other 3 months, so I find a mirror helpful at this age to do a quick spot check whenever necessary. Agree to disagree I guess.

Back to the OP:
Doesn't looks there's an easy solution available for the CX-9 based on my web searching, so I'm thinking of picking up some mirror paper and trying to craft something that attaches to the sunglasses holder. I guess technically if you have reflective lenses you can have your sunglasses sit outside the holder when it is open and it could do the trick.

I don't know why some are so against it. Glancing at the conversation mirror to look at your kid takes the same amount of time as glancing at the rear view mirror to see what is behind you. I guess for those that say its a stupid device to keep the driver's eyes off the road probably think the rear view and side mirrors are stupid devices too and probably never blink their eyes.
Gosh! everyone does what's best and what works for them. just because your neighbor doesn't do what you doesn't mean he's stupid.

Well I beat my kids daily just to show them who's boss, even if they haven't done anything wrong!

WOW! ...so this is what you think I do to disipline and show my kids who's boss...WOW!

The funny thing is that in the 15 years I have been a Dad, I have never had to lay a hand on any of my kids to whip (no pun intended) them back in place.

The problem with parents now, is that they want to be best friends with their kids, so they let the "leash" go to loose. Be a real parent and control your kids with a simple verbal warning.

Thats how I've taught them to know who is the boss!

WOW! ...so this is what you think I do to disipline and show my kids who's boss...WOW!

The problem with parents now, is that they want to be best friends with their kids, so they let the "leash" go to loose. Be a real parent and control your kids with a simple verbal warning.

Thats how I've taught them to know who is the boss!

I'm pretty sure he was kidding about beating kids, but who knows, I understand where you are coming from... Personally, I think to each their own and if someone wants a mirror for the purpose described, go for it. I don't feel compelled to tell them they shouldn't get one. We may disagree on some things (or perhaps not), but this is one where I agree with you wholeheartedly. Parents should not try to be best friends with their kids. I can't say I have never spanked a rear end or two, but mine know very well from the tone of my voice that they better shape up or it will be time to "pay the fiddler." IMO, it's all about establishing respect for you and other adults while they are young. I've even been told by my wife and neighbors that my voice can scare them when I yell at the kids (evil).

That said, to stay on topic for the OP...I'm not aware of a conversation mirror for the CX-9. I think I mentioned this in another post, but I believe one reason they don't include one on the sunglasses holder (among others, I'm sure), is because it would block the rear view mirror when in the down position.

Back