Cold air intake....

DirtySid

:
2001 MP3, blue, #504
I want to instal a aftermarket cold air intake on my MP3. I am just wondering if there are any major concerns I will need to take into account, such as the ECU or oxygen sensor getting messed up by the new intake. Anyone has any pratical advice on this matter?

Don't let your meat loaf!
Sid (piss)

Nothing really special to watch for. Just make sure you connect and tighten everything without breaking the throttle body or something. Pretty standard mod to do.
moose

there is two pronged valve towards the back by the intake manifold you have to remove a hose from i recall - easy to break and it will cost you $75 to fix it :(

which intake did you buy?

Captain KRM P5 said:
there is two pronged valve towards the back by the intake manifold you have to remove a hose from i recall - easy to break and it will cost you $75 to fix it :(

which intake did you buy?
I have't purchased it yet ( as I just dropped major bread on new motegi DP5s and Kuhmo tires... (boom04) ) I was thinking about getting the AEM short stack intake....or the Ingen ceraminc coated intake. Not sure which one, if any1 has any suggestions I would like to hear them!

Captain KRM P5 said:
I sell the AEM, the K&N, the Injen and the Ractive. All of my prices include shipping.

http://www.mazda3online.com/index.php?cPath=27_33

For the price, the Ractive simply can't be beat. Honestly, the gains between it and the AEM are going to be similar if not identical as they are both SRIs.
So, for my bread, I can't go wrong with the Ractive intake? What is the Ractive boasting on HP increase? Why is the AEM so much more expensive, is it just simply because of the brandname? Sounds good to me, just wanted a few more details

DirtySid said:
So, for my bread, I can't go wrong with the Ractive intake? What is the Ractive boasting on HP increase? Why is the AEM so much more expensive, is it just simply because of the brandname? Sounds good to me, just wanted a few more details

neither AEM or ractive show dyno charts on thier website. Injen boasts that 15 whp is gained from thier intake but having owned one myself I can tell you that there is no way I got anything near that. Anything less restrictive than the stock airbox will net you some gains - and of course give your engine that growl :)

i would personally say, yes, the price is due to brand name.

a dyno done on an automatic p5 on this site with the AWR header and short ram style intake gained about 20 whp, i think most of that came from the AWR header.

like captain said, AEM is more expensive due to brand name.
You can't go wrong with ractive, they are very similar products, but just having intake won't gain that much power. you will gain awesome engine sounds though. :)
both AEM, Injen, and Ractive will have very similar power gains.
but if you want to have some looks under your hood, go with Injen.

actually the aem website does show a dyno chart., if ur in oklahoma or close to dallas i'll sell u my red aem intake.

TXMazdaSpeeder said:
actually the aem website does show a dyno chart., if ur in oklahoma or close to dallas i'll sell u my red aem intake.

can you show me the link? i went specifically to that part on AEM's site and couldn't find the dyno link.

I can vouch for the knockoffs such as ractive- they do just fine- but you will want to replace that filter that they come with at some point. I have been using one off of ebay for awhile now, and the ractive and mine are pretty much so the same.

When removing the factory air "hose" immediately off the throttle body, be VERY careful with the Purge Control Valve. This part breaks VERY easily (s***! What was that "crack"?) The best way to loosen the nut on the back of it is to place an open-end or adjustable wrench over the metal "casing" and use this to hold it in place while you break loose the nut. Of course, in my haste I neglected to do this. I'm waiting for the new one to come in.
Anyhow, if you have the cash and want the eye candy, go with Injen. Otherwise, any SRI will do the trick. Good luck.

sidpro5 said:
When removing the factory air "hose" immediately off the throttle body, be VERY careful with the Purge Control Valve. This part breaks VERY easily

yep. thats exactly what i broke :(

TXMazdaSpeeder said:
So my next question is this: Do i get the Superflow intake by ractive?....will that intake give me the performance I am looking for?...excluding the header, which is on order right now. And by the way, thanks for every1s' advice, it is all welcome and needed!!!!!!!

Last edited:
DirtySid said:
So my next question is this: Do i get the Superflow intake by ractive?....will that intake give me the performance I am looking for?...excluding the header, which is on order right now. And by the way, thanks for every1s' advice, it is all welcome and needed!!!!!!!

The Ractive superflow (the only intake Ractive sells for the Protege BTW) will give the same gains as the AEM sri.

Back