Coilovers in a cold climate

Tayzo

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
Just wondering...I live in Canada in a city that has snow and freezing cold weather for a good part of the year. I want to lower the suspension on my Protege soon, but only in the warm months of the year. I want to be able to adjust the suspension ride height back to stock in the snowy months, so that it's also driveable then. I understand that coilovers could do this properly? However, a friend had told me that they might not function properly in our climate (we go from minus 40 degrees Celsius in the Wintertime to plus 30 degrees Celsius in the Summertime). He said that they would probably seize up. Is that a correct assumption?

Ive blown a set of Tein Coilovers and a set of Ksport front coilovers while driving in the winter. The oil inside the shocks gets much thicker in the winter months, and on a hard hit, the fluid cant move fast enough, and it blows out the seal.

Ive gotten smarter as i got older, and now i actually swap in a lowering spring and strut combo and remove the coilovers for winter. Then i slap them back on in the spring.

Thanks for your reply. I will consider doing what you said you did with your suspension.

Latest posts

Back