code 2187

tsunami

Contributor
:
mazda3 5 door
Just last week i started to notice a searching idle on my car, and then last night on the way home from work it stalled out and now everytime i sit at a stop light it searches for a sec seems to find a good spot at 750rpm or so and then just dies, no coughing, or bogging it just stalls out right around 750rpm???

i hooked up my trusty scan tool and it shows code 2187 but for the module it says manufacturer specific and then under info it says undocumented trouble code description.

so any takers? i am in my car right now and am about to verify everything is cool with the maf just to be sure and am going to reset the ecu.

mods are
simota cf sri
thunder header
advanced timing

mods that should have no relevance to trouble codes... but will list anyways
short throw shifter
eibachs
bigger wider wheels
all kinds of stereo stuff

thanks for the help guys cause this is not to cool hope i don't have to revert to stock and bring it in to the dealer

thanks for the reply MM.

wonder what in the hell is causing that???

is it my cel code errors for the second 02 sensor?? i thought that only dealt with polution controls and didn't have any effect on the fuel mixture....

tsunami said:
thanks for the reply MM.

wonder what in the hell is causing that???

is it my cel code errors for the second 02 sensor?? i thought that only dealt with polution controls and didn't have any effect on the fuel mixture....

Sounds like you may have a bad MAF.

I had that same code too, but i also had a gross evap leak code. There was a TSB for that. The cause was the purge solenoid valve was stuck open. I went to mazda and they replaced it for free. I have AEM cai and magnaflow header back exhaust. They didnt give me any trouble for my mods. Nice Guys.

yeah just did some reading on mazda3forums.com (site kept crashing though) and it seems like most people with that code had to replace the purge valve doesn't sound like it has anything to do with my mods...

i checked the maf harness just to be sure and it was fine, i have had the intake in my car for 1.5 years now with no issues. i reset the ecu and my cel just popped back on, but becuase of my 2nd 02 sensor codes it may or maynot be the 2187 i will check when i get home and see.

the part is 104$$ from one of the forum sponsers if i wanted to do it myself. think i will take it in to the dealership first if it re-appears and see what they say bout the modifications

IIRC, cars built after april 05 had the updated part... you can tell by popping the solenoid off the rubber clip and see if it has a gold sticker on it... if there isn't a sticker on there, you have the "bad" part

mine is an 04 so i would think i have the "bad" part lol.... think i may print out the tsb and just bring it in and have them fix it.

just to let every one know... been about 2 tanks (700 miles or so) and have had no issues at all... wondering if maybe i topped it off to much or had a bad seal with my gas cap?? anyways no problems and i will check tonight with my tek mate scan tool and see if the cel is gone (have one for hte 02 sensor due to a header)

no i have a different code for the header... hopefully this weekend i am finaly not working and don't have plans....

The purge valve is mounted on a bracket with a long hose attached, I am looking at one in my inventory but I am horrible at describing things. I know that they have an issue with holding vaccum

hey would anyone mind circling where I need to be looking for this purge valve? Or if you have a picture of the valve that would help alot too :)

Attachments

• engine photo.jpg
    engine photo.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 139
The 3's are notorious about the evap purge solenoid. I have 22,000 mi. on my 04 MZ3 and have had 6 purge solenoids replaced under warranty.

its a 100$$ part from the mazda oem parts vendors here... i believe its down on the tb side of the engine about half way looks like a lil ufo thingamagij... and yes thats the real name.

Back