Clicking noise. Transmission?

Alfissimoint.

:
08' CX-9 AWD
I get a clicking noise from either the transmission or Brake calipers. From a stop position to forward or reverse I get a click (metallic sound). I thought there was something about this being a recall?

2008 Grand Touring AWD

thanks

Don't think it is the tranny.
It is simple to verify. Put the gear to "N" and let the CX9 slide downhill and see if there is noise.

Could be the bearing. Bearing problem starts to surface for '07-08 models.
The reason is the bearing assembly is not properly shielded from dust. Over time, the dust
got into the assembly and damaged the bearing.

Have someone stand outside while you move the vehicles slowly to
see if he/she can locate the source of noises. It is much harder to do that for you sitting inside.

Could also be many other causes, though.
I once had a piece of metal stuck between the calliper and rotor of my BMW, making
high-pitch squeak. It could also be the heat shield got bent and rubbing again
some moving part under the chassis.

Ill try that.
What are the symptoms of a bad bearing on these cars? I know cars well but curious if these produce a specific symptom like wondering or steering wheel vibration?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ill go out today and jack the car up and check the bearings. May be a anti-squeek plate on one or both of the front brake pads.

Ok here is what it does. You put it in drive. You take accelerate, and you get a click click noise. Same for reverse. Only does it under power and only from a stop position. Will not do it neutral. Could be CV joint? Maybe flex joint on propeller shaft? or Wheel bearing. It is definitely up front by the wheels from first inspection.

This is the TSB I was referring to: MTIP-08-09-4 09/01/2008 A/T, Drivetrain - Click Noise When Shifting Into Reverse
I have asked the moderator for this TSB so I can read about it.

Yes, but typically if it is a common issue it's fairly easy to diagnose. I can diagnose issues with the cars I deal with daily, Alfa Romeo's with a few back and forth questions.
I think it may be the ABS which I have read to be normal. But I also have a problem sometimes releasing the gear shifter from Park to R or D. I think my E-brake needs adjustment as well so the car does not sit on the transmission while parked thus making the shifter harder to get out of P.

If any of you giver a crap, here it is. ABS issue with clicking. to clear it up, they have to remove the axles and sand something down to make the noise go away. I can live with it. No harm in the noise.

Transmission got re-flashed and works properly now thanks to TSB mentioned above. MTIP-08-09-4 09/01/2008 A/T, Drivetrain $115.00 to do that JOB.

Mazda Dealers kind of suck I have found out. One dealer says my car is fine. the other finds all my struts and shocks needing replacement. Not impressed with the dealer, will have to start doing the work myself to do it right.

Back