How to change transmission fluid in 2012 AWD CX-9?

jase7678

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi,

We have a 2012 CX-9 AWD Grand Touring in VA, USA which has a very intermittent shudder. From reading many other posts it could be plugs, coil pack, solenoids or dirty ATF fluid. I’d like to simply add some anti-shudder gloop but, of course, these transmissions have no dipstick or fill tube.

I’m loath to take it to the dealer because they really don’t know this car anymore because of its age. And in my small town if it ain’t domestic it ain’t worth looking at 😔.

How can I add some anti-shudder to this thing or even replace the ATF? Is it really impossible?

Thank you.

It is probably not a good idea to change the ATF in a high mileage transmission. The crud in the fluid is helping the friction surfaces grip, and they're likely to slip with new fluid. Regular changes of the ATF, maybe every 50,000 miles, are a good idea to extend transmission life.

Transmission fluid drain and fill 2015 Mazda CX9. It is pretty much domestic as this is a Ford drivetrain.
Thank you for the link.
I’m not convinced it’s a Ford drivetrain - are you sure about that? I stopped by Ford dealer before posting to forum and the guy said they were not the same since they parted ways in 2008. I wouldn’t consider him to be a good source of info however. But one of the comments in the video says the transmission is made by Aisin which sounds rather Japanese. Certainly not Michigan.
Also I’m betting a Ford transmission has a blinkin’ dipstick. Having said that though I’ve seen where you can purchase an aftermarket one so maybe it is used in Fords 🤷‍♂️.
The video is just what I need so thank you again!

Last edited:
It is probably not a good idea to change the ATF in a high mileage transmission. The crud in the fluid is helping the friction surfaces grip, and they're likely to slip with new fluid. Regular changes of the ATF, maybe every 50,000 miles, are a good idea to extend transmission life.
Interesting. The car has just over 90k on it now. In June ‘22 I had the dealer install a new brake booster and perform a 90k service which included transmission & diff fluid changes. If what you say is true this could have caused the problem we’re experiencing now.
Let’s assume that’s the case for a moment, what’s the remedy? Would the anti shudder help? Is there a long term fix?
Thank you.
7D6CF845-64A6-4D79-9CD4-6CE5E5161CDB.jpeg

Can you explain the shudder?
When does it happen? Is it repeatable?

My wife's 09 CX9 had a pretty bad shudder when on freeway, medium/heavy throttle when torque converter was locked. I thought it was the transmission but turned out to be a misfire. I bought a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque App and was able to see the misfire counts go up on one of the front 3 cylinders after it shuddered. No check engine light.

I replaced the front 3 spark plugs (misfire was on one of the 3, but I figured I'd replace the all while I was in there). Misfire never came back.

Can you explain the shudder?
When does it happen? Is it repeatable?

My wife's 09 CX9 had a pretty bad shudder when on freeway, medium/heavy throttle when torque converter was locked. I thought it was the transmission but turned out to be a misfire. I bought a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque App and was able to see the misfire counts go up on one of the front 3 cylinders after it shuddered. No check engine light.

I replaced the front 3 spark plugs (misfire was on one of the 3, but I figured I'd replace the all while I was in there). Misfire never came back.
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay - I’m not receiving an email when a message is added to the thread for some reason.

I cannot explain when the shudder occurs terribly well because it only seems to occur when my wife drives the car for some reason. But I did feel it from the passenger seat shortly before my original post. On that occasion we’d turned off a 45mph road into our driveway which has a typical rain water gutter and sidewalk to bump over and then a steep climb up to our home where we perhaps reach 15-20 mph. It was on the ascent that I felt it through the center armrest. To me it kind of felt like the judder you get in a bus - you know the certain point in the rev range or road speed where ever single panel just vibrates. I would say it lasted around 3 seconds.

My wife isn’t able to vocalize the specific when, where, what of when it occurs - and it didn’t occur on my 10 min test drive last week - so I can’t provide any more info sadly.

I have an OBDII cord in my cart as we speak waiting for me to take the plunge. In order to see the misfire do you need to have the software monitoring when it occurs or does the OBD store the event?

I hope it is a misfire.

Thanks again.

If you have an Android phone/tablet, you can pay for the Torque App ($5) and you can real time monitor a lot of things.

There's a free version, but I know I had to go with the pay version in order to see the misfire.

Cx5 2014, with "lifetime atf fluid". This was a sample at 79k. With their data, it seems as good as 29k, telling me to push to another 30-40k. I got this sample before I did a 2x flush and drain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202_022350_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    Screenshot_20240202_022350_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    158 KB · Views: 28
Back