Choices and thoughts on a 2024 CX-5 purchase

Hello,
I'm shopping between a new CX-5, Forester, or CR-V. (Rav4 is too tight for my stature.)

My vehicles are properly maintained and driven responsibly.

Would any of you be willing to share a few short insights?

Are you' pleased with your CX-5?
Any issues in 2024 gen?
Would you consider other vehicles if you had a do-over?

I really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Also considered the RAV4 and CR-V in 2019, and maybe the Outback. Yes, I'm happy with the vehicle after 4 years. Comfortable ride, great handling, quiet, great paint and fit and finish. In my opinion, only Subaru offers comparable value for money, and you have a CVT with fake shifts, and it's noisier.

I have a 2023 cx5 turbo bought new and have put about 15000 miles on it so far and if had to do it over i would probably stick with Honda. This replaced a crv touring and i would probably go back to Honda.

I ordered a 2024 Forester (Limited) that will arrive at the end of January. As part of the deal I traded in my 2018 CX5. The CX5 was ok but I did experience a number of repairs that IMO shouldn’t have showed up early for a 5-year old vehicle with less than 50,000 km. The 5-year power train warranty will expire in March and it will need new tires this spring so it was time to move on.

Have a 2016 Touring and a 2019 GTR Turbo, both purchased new. Neither has had any problems and both are dependable and fun to drive, especially the turbo. I also looked at CR-V and Rav4 and neither came close to the CX-5 in driveability or accessories. The 16 Touring has blindspot monitoring and rear traffic alert and neither were offered on compatible Honda or Toyota.

Forester has timing belt $$$$. CX-5 has timing chain, no$, haha Personally, I just not a fan of timing belt engines if you plan to keep them long term.

I have a 2023 cx5 turbo bought new and have put about 15000 miles on it so far and if had to do it over i would probably stick with Honda. This replaced a crv touring and i would probably go back to Honda.
Interesting. What specifically did you like better about your CR-V? It has way less power than what you have now, a CVT and certainly isn't as luxurious (my friend drive a previous gen CR-V, so I have a comparison to go on). He has had some significant electrical issues with his car as well. In the reviews of the current gen CR-V, I was unimpressed with the looks of the interior materials, and it seemed they de-contented the car vs the previous generation. No upgrade in the powertrain vs the last generation either.

We had a 2018 CX5 NA 2.5 L and now a 2024 CX5 Turbo. Pleased with both and no issues. My only concern with the NA 2.5 engine is it is not clear if they ever fixed the design flaw in the Head which have been known to crack. (supposedly the Turbo head issue was fixed with a redesigned).

I'd also say that the CX5 beats the others in ride, handling, and the design of the interior.

Interesting. What specifically did you like better about your CR-V? It has way less power than what you have now, a CVT and certainly isn't as luxurious (my friend drive a previous gen CR-V, so I have a comparison to go on). He has had some significant electrical issues with his car as well. In the reviews of the current gen CR-V, I was unimpressed with the looks of the interior materials, and it seemed they de-contented the car vs the previous generation. No upgrade in the powertrain vs the last generation either.
I have owned 4 CRV's and many more accords and civics and I think they are put together better and the only reason I did not get a CRV when I bought my cx5 was there was a long wait period and I did not want to wait. Our CRV was totaled out so my wife really needed a car. The honda held up incredibly well, a car ran a stop sign on a 55 mph road and my wife was going 50-55mph. I think the 2023 crv touring has a nicer interior. the only thing the cx5 has that I like better is the transmission but in all honesty I never had a single issue with the CVT on any of the Hondas and my daughters has around 150,000 without a single issue. the CRV is nearly identical to the na cx5. the crv actually has better skid pad numbers. I think the CX5 looks really dated and I am 65 yoa.....The CRV touring is nicer than my CX5 Turbo on the inside.

While looks are subjective, I look at the CX-5 design as one that has longer legs. I don't think any of these other RAV4, CRV, etc designs age well.

We traded our CR-V in on the GTR and never looked back. We test drove the compatible CR-V and there was no comparsion. Between oil dilution and heating problems not to mention the AC problems with compressor/clutch it was an easy decision. Plus the CR-V requires a lot more maintenance than the CX-5.

Our 2023 has been completely reliable so far after 2 years and 28k miles. It's my first Mazda after a lifetime of Hondas, and I am very impressed.

Personally, I would look elsewhere. Our 2017 CX-5 has had VERY expensive issues, starting at 60K miles. The overall quality is far below that which we are accustom to. (Toyota, Nissan)

We've had a 2014 - got totaled in an accident but we were fine. 2016 GT- only issue ever was the belt tensioner. My son still drives it with zero issues and 140K miles now. It still drives great too. Finally, we have a 2023 Turbo but with only 5,700 miles it's still pretty much brand new.

I've been very happy with all three of our CX-5's.

I'm shopping between a new CX-5, Forester, or CR-V.
I have a 2019 CX-5 GTR, My wife has a 2018 Outback Limited & my son has a 2000 CRV Touring. My son wanted a GTR at the time but pandemic availability was almost non-existent. His Civic was totaled when his apartment parking lot flooded & he needed an immediate replacement. All three are nice vehicles & each of us are happy with our respective vehicle. We've not had any issues with any of said vehicles.

I personally like my GTR the best & compared it to just about everything comparable at the time. My first one was rear ended & totaled at 4 months. I liked it enough to replace it with its clone. Fortunately that happened pre pandemic when replacement availability was good. IMO the GTR handles the best of the 3 & is the "sportiest". I think it comes down to personal preference & all 3 are nice vehicles.

I have owned 4 CRV's and many more accords and civics and I think they are put together better and the only reason I did not get a CRV when I bought my cx5 was there was a long wait period and I did not want to wait. Our CRV was totaled out so my wife really needed a car. The honda held up incredibly well, a car ran a stop sign on a 55 mph road and my wife was going 50-55mph. I think the 2023 crv touring has a nicer interior. the only thing the cx5 has that I like better is the transmission but in all honesty I never had a single issue with the CVT on any of the Hondas and my daughters has around 150,000 without a single issue. the CRV is nearly identical to the na cx5. the crv actually has better skid pad numbers. I think the CX5 looks really dated and I am 65 yoa.....The CRV touring is nicer than my CX5 Turbo on the inside.
I guess when you are a true Honda fan, nothing else will do. I can't say I agree on the interior comparison. Mazda uses much nicer materials and looks much more upscale than Honda to my 55yr old eyes.

I guess when you are a true Honda fan, nothing else will do. I can't say I agree on the interior comparison. Mazda uses much nicer materials and looks much more upscale than Honda to my 55yr old eyes.
I am more of a Jeep and Ram fan :)...did you look at a 23 CRV touring? I tend to love new cars and am always a fan of ones that have treated me well. I bought my first new car in 1977 so have had a lot of them :). i have had more Hondas than any followed by Ford truck, jeep wranglers, subarus, dodge/ram, gmc, olds, buick probably some others I have forgot about. this cx5 is my second mazda I had a 626 in the past too. I have been lucky I have never had a single issue with any of my cars except for an issue with a 2016 outback which we bought new and traded 6 months later due to a noise issue that could not be fixed and poor dealership response.

Latest posts

Back