Check engine light

billvack said:
CEL light on today at 2927 miles.
Called dealer - same response -
He said with the car off - take off the gas cap - put it back on
drive it for 4-5 days - if the CEL is still on call us for appt.
I wanted to make one then - he said that it wasn't necessary and that this will probably take care of the problem
Bill

like I said in the other thread... mazda usa IS aware of this problem... they are working on a fix... it seems to be an issue with the gas cap design... you need to convince your dealer to call mazda to get special instructions on fixing this issue because there's no TSBs out yet... this means mazda is not 100% sure what the problem is nor know exactly what will fix it... at this point the affected customers are the testers on a potential fix

I hope I'm not hexing myself. After 5k+ miles, no CEL. Maybe they need to find out what's different about my setup.

C.E.L. at 8,740 miles

The C.E.L. on our CX-7 started glowing this past Saturday. Car has 8,740 miles on it so far. It seems that there is a known problem with the fuel cap that requires a special ordered replacement. The Service Advisor at two delaerships advised that Mazda knows about the problem and they have ordered the part for our vehicle. Their customer service was just as good as for my 2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan.

Update on CEL

2 weeks ago I had the CEL come on, called the dealer and had an appointment for a week later. I had the gas cap off & on 3 times that week. 1 day before the appoint the light went out. The dealer said to call back for an appointment if it comes back on. 6 days later the light has come back. New appointment for Monday AM.
Who knows what the h*ll is going on.
I'd almost rather have my 7 year BMW back then this thing.

Update: 9/18
The CEL went out the day before the 1st service appointment. The appoint was cancelled.
1 week later the CEL came on again.
I had the service appointment this morning - The gas cap was loose at some time. When I fill up with gas I twist it at least 3-4 clicks and I have taken the cap off & on to make sure it is secure 4 times this past wee.
The dealer took the cap off, cleaned the seal, put it back on, cleared the code & checked the pressure.

This should hold for 2 - 3 days. UGH

Last edited:
Well, a week ago my CEL came on again (4th time) at 1785 miles. This time I don't think it's the gas cap because it was replaced about a month ago and I've gone through a few tanks of gas. Anyway, since my hubby's laid up with a severely broken leg and we've got doctor appts and surgery upcoming, I'm waiting until he's home for awhile before I take it in. Also the same morning that the CEL came on, my low tire pressure warning came on. I topped off the two driver side tires (earlier that morning I had to drive through glass and debris at an accident site) and the light went off. Two days later the low pressure light came back on and after refilling the same two tires, it stayed on. The next afternoon it just went off. Maybe the day and tires were warm enough to increase the pressure in the tires or does it go off after so many starts? AND on top of all this, the dealership I bought from near my home was sold and is no longer a Mazda dealer so I'll have to take it to the one near my work. Oh well, what next? (bang)

if they put in the same gas cap as the original instead of an updated one, then its very likely the "CEL" will come back again

like I said ALREADY, you need to tell them that this is a known issue and that they MUST call mazda for further repair instructions

600 Mile check engine Light

Just Hit 600 miles and the check engine light is on.. Ill be calling the Dealer today to bring it in for service, Ill post the results ASAP
This looks like its a problem right outta the gate! Not good for PR

Check Engine Light on at 2,450 miles. Dropped it off at the dealer....should hear something today. Wouldn't think it was the gas cap since the light came on about 2 weeks after I had filled up.

we'll see.....

So far my CX has been in the shop almost 30 days. Owned it about 3 months. Several CELs. Two different gas caps. One tranny cooler. One windshield.

So far the CELs have been due to the gas cap. First they blamed it on me. Then they replaced the cap. Then they replaced the cap again. For some reason the threads on the cap don't mesh well with the fill neck and plastic is being chewed up and deposited in my gas tank. Grrr...

Got the call from the dealer (or should I say, I called the dealer yesterday afternoon). Appears Mazda has said that they are having problems with the gas caps sealing, so they overnighted a new gas cap to the dealer.

The dealer will try the new cap this morning....and hopefully this will be the end of it :)

p.s.
is this the kind of stuff to expect when purchasing the first year of a new model? i always told myself I wouldn't do it, but somehow I did!

^^ yeah.. and does the CEL affect the car in any way other than having a light on? does it kill gas mileage, slow the car to a crawl, or anything?

Update on CEL

I had posted a couple of weeks ago that I had experienced the CEL twice, at about 145 and 700 miles respectively. The service manager did everything by the book and worked with Mazda to document the problem. Today they notched the gas cap to form a tighter seal and trained about three of their techs. The whole process, including training, took about 20 minutes. The service manager told me he expected Mazda to issue a recall on the gas caps but the fix should resolve any future gas cap related CELs on my 7. Kudos to Heritage Mazda here in Maryland for what I think was an outstanding job of addressing the problem and following through with excellent customer service.

Hi all,

My wife's CX-7 has the check engine light illuminated yesterday with less than 1,000 miles. She had it just over 2 weeks. Guess no one is immuned from this CEL issues.

Now I like to know if anyone has received the fix from the dealership that seems to resolve CEL issue permanantly? If so, please share what your dealership did. My wife has scheduled a check up tomorrow morning so I am hoping that we can have an idea what to tell the dealer to fix.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

if after the gas cap replacement and the "CEL" comes back on with the same code, it maybe a bad leak detection pump... so if that happens to you, have them test it out.... also there's a flash update for the ECU that fixes a detection problem with the leak detection pump, so have them do that also

My dealership knew of the CEL/Gas Cap issue and replaced it the day after I took delivery - before I got a CEL warning. Just over 1K-miles here and no CEL. Crossing fingers.

Update

GraniteGreyCX7 said:
Hi all,

My wife's CX-7 has the check engine light illuminated yesterday with less than 1,000 miles. She had it just over 2 weeks. Guess no one is immuned from this CEL issues.

Now I like to know if anyone has received the fix from the dealership that seems to resolve CEL issue permanantly? If so, please share what your dealership did. My wife has scheduled a check up tomorrow morning so I am hoping that we can have an idea what to tell the dealer to fix.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

The dealership just finished my wife's CX-7. They changed the gas cap (fortunately they have it in stock) and reset the CEL.

My wife also asked to have the auto lock/arm feature turned on when you walked away from the car and shut all doors. She reported that the technician shown her how to use it and it works!

Only thing the dealership did not do was to adjust the AUTO light sensor's sensitivity. At first they flat out said it cannot be adjusted, but I informed my wife that on Section 5-53 of the owner's manual, the sensor can be adjusted. Now the svcs mgr said he's going to call Mazda USA to find out if this can be done too.

The guy has no clue. Thanks to the combined knowledges of this forum, you just need to know what to ask for b4 your walk in, and demand it.

Thank you.

CEL software update

They are performing the software updates to the computer modules to fix the CEL problem. The gas cap replacement was bogus. I hope this works. Now if they can just get my Sirius working again!!

Back