Check engine light

Does the CEL affect the driveability of the car at all though, in terms of power or gas mileage? While it totally sucks that you guys are dealing with a problem on your brand new cars, if it is nothing more than the inconvenience of a light lit up on your dash, count your blessings. Many people have to deal with much worse problems with first year models.

Good luck getting stuff fixed :)

an updated gas cap has just been released so the real fix is finally here!

DTC P0455- FUEL CAP REPLACEMENT

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2007 100057 128606 RX8 2006-2007 200001 208465 MX5 2006-2007 100001 125468 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / FUEL / IMPROPER OPERATION
ENGINE / FUEL / DOES NOT TURN OFF/WARNING LIGHT
ENGINE / FUEL / OTHERS

MTOL - 5180 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Some vehicles may set MIL DTC P0455 (evaporative emission control system
leak detected-gross). If so, follow the repair procedure below:
Repair Procedure

1. Retrieve and record DTC(s) and verify stored DTC P0455.
2. Record all freeze frame data and clear any DTCs.
3. Install new fuel cap part # FEY2-42-250.
4. Run IDS PDS Evaporative System Leak Test.
5. If test passes- return vehicle to customer.
If test fails- necessary to conduct further Evaporative System Leak
diagnosis.

Part(s) Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEY2-42-250 Fuel Cap

Gas cap?

Someone told me that if it were my gas cap the check engine light will go of after a couple of days. On my last fill up, it did just that. It's all clear now.

Thanks

A Frost

just because it went off, it doesn't mean its fixed or the code went away... it's still on the ECU and the gas cap HAS A DEFECTIVE DESIGN

^^ but if the car runs just fine with or without the code, who cares? Does it go into like a limp mode or something just because the gas cap is "loose"?

TheMAN said:
it makes your car fail state inspection in many states
But if the CEL isn't on anymore, with the code still stored, you could just clear the ecu and then as long as the CEL doesn't come back on..

The only inspection I've ever had to do was the day I "imported" my car from Massachusetts to Connecticut, so I often forget about that stuff.

resetting the ECU does nothing other than clear out its emissions self tests also... it will have to test everything all over again and given time it will fail the evap test again, or if you just reset it and go to the inspection station, they can't pass it because none of the tests have been run yet!

your argument is pointless, the damn gas cap are known to be bad (they intermittently don't seal, I've seen it happen myself... and YES the cap WAS TIGHT), get the piece of s*** replaced FREE at the dealer and get this whole thing over with... no uncertainties or chances of it coming back on due to the same issue

CEL...yay!

Just got my first CEL at 975 miles.
They replaced the Leak Detection Pump. ...
..I pick up my cx7 tomorrow from dealership.

TheMAN said:
your argument is pointless

thanks for making the forums such a friendly place :)

but anyway. I guess what I was trying to say (and thought I did) was that if the CEL is off, doesn't that mean the test was run and there is no longer an issue? Therefore, resetting the ECU and letting it run tests again shouldn't turn up anything, but if the CEL does come back on, then yeah back to the dealership to get it fixed. I guess people don't feel like having to do anything like that on a new car, which does suck I guess.

Just for confirmation: Mazda does have a permanent fix for this, right? Either a new cap or leak detection pump, or both?

My CX-7 is at the dealer today for it's 3rd CEL. The dealer called MazdaUSA about the gas cap. I printed out this forum to show him what some of the problems are.

MazdaUSA said the warehouses have a new redesigned gas cap as of last Monday. They said no one should have known about the redisgn till it was in stock. The dealer is having one sent overnight hopefully to resolve the problem.

Kansei said:
thanks for making the forums such a friendly place :)

but anyway. I guess what I was trying to say (and thought I did) was that if the CEL is off, doesn't that mean the test was run and there is no longer an issue? Therefore, resetting the ECU and letting it run tests again shouldn't turn up anything, but if the CEL does come back on, then yeah back to the dealership to get it fixed. I guess people don't feel like having to do anything like that on a new car, which does suck I guess.

Just for confirmation: Mazda does have a permanent fix for this, right? Either a new cap or leak detection pump, or both?

didn't I already say the problem is INTERMITTENT but still is a problem?

the LDP is a whole other issue, they're just a piece of ford made s***, but the failure rates of those are low compared to the gas caps

Latest Update

dhiney said:
My CX-7 is at the dealer today for it's 3rd CEL. The dealer called MazdaUSA about the gas cap. I printed out this forum to show him what some of the problems are.

MazdaUSA said the warehouses have a new redesigned gas cap as of last Monday. They said no one should have known about the redisgn till it was in stock. The dealer is having one sent overnight hopefully to resolve the problem.

My dealer just called and told me they replaced the gas cap with the "redesigned" cap & there is a new computer update that they did.

Hopefully this will stop the ever happening CEL's.

Yay....I got my first cel I guess. My wife called me and said that an orange exclamation point came on and stayed on. I'm assuming its the cel. Yay...maybe I'll get a Speed6 as a loaner.

My CEL came on at around 400 miles. The dealer said it was probably the leak detection system and was willing to give me a loaner while they worked on it. However - I asked them to run diagnostics before going any further and it turned out to be the gas cap. The mechanic said you really have to twist these ones. Weird part was that I gassed up on a Wed and the light didn't come on until Sat. Well, at least the dealer was very willing to assist. Will advise if the problem returns.

xavier said:
Yay....I got my first cel I guess. My wife called me and said that an orange exclamation point came on and stayed on. I'm assuming its the cel. Yay...maybe I'll get a Speed6 as a loaner.

uhh, that light is just telling you the tires are low
look at it carefully, it looks like a cutaway of a tire!

My last post on 9/16 was about my 4th CEL. Finally got it to the dealer for another fix, like so many others, they replaced the Leak Detection Pump. The mechanic told me "Mazda said to replace it since I already had a new gas cap." Hope this does the trick! BYW, during this past month the CEL has gone off & back on several times so as stated in early posts, the light will go off after a certain number of restarts-seemed like about 50 to me!

Got my 1st AND hopefully last CEL today at 320 miles, called the dealer and have to bring it in next week, hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix.

Back