Changing transmission fluid on 2011 Mazda 3i...

kee_kay_kris

:
2011 Mazda 3i Touring
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to have my transmission fluid changed. How much do I buy to replace the fluid? Thinking about using Redline D4. I'm at 85,000 miles (yeah I know it's kinda high, I love my Mazda and I drive A LOT!!!), and starting to notice a difference when I drive. Should I also change the filter. Since my miles are so high would anyone recommend using Lucas Oil ATF Conditioner.

Thanks for your advice,

A Girl with a Mazda...LOL!

You might want to read this:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...8406-automatic-transmission-observations.html
Apparently, there is no scheduled replacement listed in the owner's manual. My son has the same year 3 as yours (but at 55,000 miles), so I may convince him to do a drain and fill with the recommended fluid type. In order to effectively swap out the old with new fluid, you can have the drain and fill done again in a year or less. Avoid "flushing" the fluid, especially at 85,000 miles. The filter, if any is usually not something that needs to be replaced. I would not use a conditioner.

Sounds like your having the car serviced at the local garage vs doing it yourself. Take 4 qts of Redline D4 ATF in and ask them to dump what is in the transmission pan and refill with 3 qts, Yes 3 qts you can finish the job with the last bottle and make sure its isn't over filled. You'll need several paper towels an small long neck funnel from Advanced Auto/Autozone/WalMart and slowly pour a small amount at a time down the funnel which will be placed into the ATF dip Stick tube.

Many places should be able to do it correctly however they are often under the gun to work on several cars at a time and sometimes this leads to mistakes.

Your choice just advise the mechanic to not overfill if you want him to do the entire job since you'll only need about 1/3 of the last bottle.

Also be aware that Redline D4 ATF really really stinks...very odorous.

I've replaced my 2011 3S ATF with Redline D4 by a complete drain and refill. Every other oil change you'll want to repeat the partial drain and fill of the ATF pan. Once you get to the 3rd or 4th time most of the old ATF fluid will be replaced. Then your set for a smooth shifting ride.

Last edited:
Sounds like your having the car serviced at the local garage vs doing it yourself. Take 4 qts of Redline D4 ATF in and ask them to dump what is in the transmission pan and refill with 3 qts, Yes 3 qts you can finish the job with the last bottle and make sure its isn't over filled. You'll need several paper towels an small long neck funnel from Advanced Auto/Autozone/WalMart and slowly pour a small amount at a time down the funnel which will be placed into the ATF dip Stick tube.

Many places should be able to do it correctly however they are often under the gun to work on several cars at a time and sometimes this leads to mistakes.

Your choice just advise the mechanic to not overfill if you want him to do the entire job since you'll only need about 1/3 of the last bottle.

Also be aware that Redline D4 ATF really really stinks...very odorous.

I've replaced my 2011 3S ATF with Redline D4 by a complete drain and refill. Every other oil change you'll want to repeat the partial drain and fill of the ATF pan. Once you get to the 3rd or 4th time most of the old ATF fluid will be replaced. Then your set for a smooth shifting ride.

Thanks for the advice geebos. Im going to the mechanic to have it done. I usually investigate and buy my materials b/c I don't trust people with my car. Had one bad experience at an overpriced oil change. So since then I'm very cautious.

Have you tried any other tranny fluid on your Mazda before. I know I've heard to stay away from the stock Mazda MV tranny fluid. If so in your opinion what's better?

Last edited:
Sorry for the long delay...hopefully you've had the transmission fluid changed and noticed the improvement in shifting. While I originally purchased Castrol Import ATF for a partial fluid change @17k, however I decided to do a complete fluid change with RedLine D4 ATF. I used part of a bottle Castrol Import ATF to replace my power steering @25k. I'm pleased with the choice of RedLine D4 for my automatic transmission and have continued to use it when I do a partial drain n fill every 10k. The Castrol Import ATF work well for the power steering fluid change.

I had the fluid changed on my 08 mazda 6 because the fluid had turned a milky grey color. I was told by the Mazda Dealership that there is almost no reason the change the fluid unless it is discolored and is shifting weird. On rare occasions if it is really bad will they want to change the filter, but it can be changed at the owners request.

Back