CEL, weird chugging and odd idle...

Smus

:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege - Black Mica
Ok, saturday I'm driving into town and I start going down my driveway like normal, stop at the end and wait for traffic. I take off and their is this weird chugging/hesitation/jerking and all of a sudden I see the CEL go on. Only lasted for about 3 seconds and car ran normally after it happened.

Also, sitting in a parking lot, just started the car, and I notice that the car is almost dying then revs come back up to a little higher than normal, then drop like its going to die. Does that about 4 times then just sits at around 1k (a little high I think, but that's just at start-up).

Anyone have any ideas? I know the previous owner (Mazdaspeed48) had the car before myself and had installed a BOV...would their be any problems with the MAF by chance? I havn't had any real time to take a peek under the hood...

Oh, and the car has started a nice little squeak right around the serpentine belt area...so who knows what thats about...or if its related...who knows.

Thanks for any help guys. Hopefully be able to take it into the shop within the next few days.

Sounds kinda like what happens to me on rare occasions. Seeing as I've never figured out what happened, and that I checked my MAF fully afterwards with no discovered problems .. I blame it on the bad stock tune not meshing well with the combination of engine mods that I now have.

What mods do you have, if any, other than the BOV?

Oh, no...I don't have the BOV any more...it was removed before he sold it.

It is a steady CEL, and it happened again this morning.

Took it out on the road, ran first up to about 3500 rpm, then into second, and chugged and surged from about 2500-3500 or 4000. (decided to run it a little higher to see if it would go away after a certain rpm) and once I got past 4000 it stoped and kind of threw me back becuase the boost caught up or something.

Car has aroun 97xxx miles on it...I'm going to check the plugs if not today, then tomorrow...and that goes for the clamps and air filter too...

I just don't want it to be anything really serious. I just got out of a car that was starting to fall apart (not from any lack of daily floggings) so I don't want to go down that road again...

Thanks, thats a good idea...hopefully it's just a sensor and nothing big...

Yo..I'm having this same problem!! Just tonight! LEt me know how yours goes.

Idle is dipping to almost stall

I can't boost past 4psi @ WOT @ 3000rpm

Car chuggs and bucks at that point

Once passed 4000rpm, Car is almost ok but it's still around 4 - 5 psi.

Happens intermittently.

Dipping idle happens but I can get full boost.

I can't boost past 4psi but I don't have low idle.

well i took mine to the shop..the line going from the Forge diverter was tapped into the same vacuum line as the wastegate. He changed the line and rerouted the diverter line to a line in the intake manifold. Car runs like a champ now.

EDIT: happened again. I'm gonna have to try replacing wires and coils..see what happens.

Last edited:
What was the cel? That's what the symptoms of a very stuck egr valve are.

I call EGR, PCV, or intermittent vac leak as the prob.
I had the same problem as soon as I put a unichip on my car and I fixed it by putting the unichip in my closet.

Back