Car seat in the middle spot?

LordJezo

Does the car have hookups for a car seat in the middle of the second row? I don't see those little LATCH symbols or feel any hooks like in the two side seats but I have seen people on this site have seats there. What method should be used for middle spot car seat installs?

This would be for a newborn/infant car seat.

Last edited:
i was wondering the same question, and ended up with the car seat in the side.
I think you can use seat belt to hold the car seat but I wouldn't recommend it.

Wow, how terrible. The whole reason we bought this car was for an upcoming baby. I didn't know anything about car seat hookups back then, I just figured that all new cars would have the latest safety standards in them.

Oops.

Read the manual. Pages 2-48 through 2-50 of the CX-9 manual (at least on my 2010 copy) describe and depict installing a child car seat in the center position using the LATCH system.

There are four anchors in the 2nd row; just use the center two. Thats how I have my child's car seat installed. Make sure to also use the top tether anchor behind the 2nd row - there are three of them (one for each position left/center/right) down near the floor. See the picture on page 2-50.

just to add, the two LATCH anchors you would use for the middle seat would lock you out of using LATCH with car seats on either side (can't have multiple car seats on same LATCH anchor).

I believe, therefore, the only way to go three across is to have to do: Seatbelt, LATCH, Seatbelt or LATCH, seatbelt, LATCH.

just to add, the two LATCH anchors you would use for the middle seat would lock you out of using LATCH with car seats on either side (can't have multiple car seats on same LATCH anchor).

I believe, therefore, the only way to go three across is to have to do: Seatbelt, LATCH, Seatbelt or LATCH, seatbelt, LATCH.

Three! I want to survive getting through one first! And even that seems like a whole lot more to me than the zero I currently have.

:)

We had one in the middle using the latch system. Some seats' built in belts aren't long enough to span from the left inner latch to the right inner latch. So if you haven't already purchased a seat, this may be something you want to check when looking.

i was wondering the same question, and ended up with the car seat in the side.
I think you can use seat belt to hold the car seat but I wouldn't recommend it.

Why? Do you have any experience or research evidence to support your comment?

Both my child seat are fastened by seatbelts. Both in the second row, one in the middle and one behind the driver seat. They both are tightly attached so I don't think LATCH is a better choice, it's just a preference.

Both my child seat are fastened by seatbelts. Both in the second row, one in the middle and one behind the driver seat. They both are tightly attached so I don't think LATCH is a better choice, it's just a preference.

You are exactly right. LATCH is a solution to the problem of incorrectly installed car seats. Lower LATCH anchors are supposed to be easier and simpler to use than seatbelts. However, a carseat correctly installed with a seatbelt is at least as secure as with LATCH.

Back