Calling all MS3 Owners with smoking Turbos...

Just was searching the net and found this thread. I have had the EXACT same thing happen to my ms3. 1st turbo replaced middle 08 with about 25k miles on it. Now with 60151 miles it starts again. Dealer did the synthetic thing which worked for 20 miles then started again. I think they will replace the turbo i was just wondering if anyone knew if they are replaceing the turbo with a better model.
It should be the latest revision of the K04. The part number is L3Y3-13-70ZC(my turbo was replaced per warranty in May).

Last edited:
I have a 2008.5 and had turbo smoke after 25,000 Miles.....its not just the 07s unfortunately. I took it into the dealer and was lucky enough to get the whole turbo replaced under warranty. The seals had gone bad. There seems to be a direct correlation between the lack of back pressure that the downpipe causes to leaking seals. I decided to go back to stock downpipe after getting the new turbo. No problems yet.

yeah I smoke after running hard and then idling for an extended period, but the dipstick shows very little, if not, any oil loss. whatever, just hope it lasts be until I replace it with a non-amateur turbo ha.

I have a 2008.5 and had turbo smoke after 25,000 Miles.....its not just the 07s unfortunately. I took it into the dealer and was lucky enough to get the whole turbo replaced under warranty. The seals had gone bad. There seems to be a direct correlation between the lack of back pressure that the downpipe causes to leaking seals. I decided to go back to stock downpipe after getting the new turbo. No problems yet.
My turbo started smoking at 11K with a stock DP. It is not always an aftermarket DP, that causes the problem.

Well dealer got back with me today and Mazda will not warranty my care because of 200 miles over the 60k mark. Luckily i bought an extended warranty through ford, (the dealership i bought car from was mazda, ford dealer). If they do not warranty this i will be very angry. I have always heard mazda is hard to deal with regarding warranty claims and sadly this will be my last mazda. The turbo they replaced in mine 2 years ago was the B model and not the upgraded C turbo so no luck for me.(gun)

I noticed mine smoking recently, I'm just over 40k and I have only replaced the CBE. Havent messed with the cat or dp. I hope they don't get jicky jacky with me about having an intake or cbe. Those are my only two mods.

Last edited:
Dealer replaced my turbo today under warranty, hassle free! Luckily they had one in stock, everything was done same day.

Dealer asked to see my oil Change receipts and I don't have them since I bought the car used... Any suggestions? Yes I am willing to bribe Jiffylube.

Technically, you shouldn't need them.

Are they asking for receipts because they don't believe that the oil was changed frequently enough??

Did they give you a reason for their request?

It's part of what the TSB says is required for replacing smoking turbos. Supposedly, no proof of oil changes, no new turbo.
Has anyone had success with providing records of their own oil changes? Done at home?

It still shouldn't matter.

The turbo is part of the powertrain, and technically speaking the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that your neglect was the cause of the part's failure.

I would challenge the dealer on this, if I were you. I don't keep receipts, but my meticulously maintained log of records that I keep had better be enough if I ever have problems. I'll fight them tooth and nail if the try to tell me it isn't.

So what does your log look like? I have the oil changes written down on one of the owners manuals but it sounds like you have something a little more detailed.

I use an Excel spreadsheet.

I record the Date, the Mileage, what ever action I performed, and there is a comment field for each action/event where I can list any pertinent details (Oil brand & wt., filter brand, etc.)

I use this to document all maintenance, not just oil changes (i.e., tire rotations, any other fluid changes, etc.).

Well I hope for one dont see the smoke, Been on a catless DP for 4k and still nothing. :)

The oil receipts are BS the know why the turbo smokes just looking for an out, Damn dealers..

I met a mazda rep when the wifes cx9 was in for service last week. He said that next year the will replace all turbos on a case by case basis. I said gee thats great so when the o7's and 08.5 like mine with over 60k will be screwed. He just said it will be case by case. I said thanks for nothing.

I have always said we should have a giant smoking turbos get together then call a local news channel.You know push the whole green global warming bulls*** thing. I would love to see the local reported start choking during the broadcast while me smoke the b**** out. This is a pathetic what mazda has done and now they are just waiting it out.

Oh he also said he see's alot more cx7's due to more sales smoking.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if you are taking it in to the dealer for the problem of a smoking turbo BEFORE the 60k warranty is up then the problem will be documented as existing while the warranty is still good.
It should not mean that they can STOP trying to fix the problem after 60k since they started to fix it before 60k.

It seems to me that if you are taking it in to the dealer for the problem of a smoking turbo BEFORE the 60k warranty is up then the problem will be documented as existing while the warranty is still good.
It should not mean that they can STOP trying to fix the problem after 60k since they started to fix it before 60k.

Well I guess we shall see.

I met a mazda rep when the wifes cx9 was in for service last week. He said that next year the will replace all turbos on a case by case basis. I said gee thats great so when the o7's and 08.5 like mine with over 60k will be screwed. He just said it will be case by case. I said thanks for nothing.

I have always said we should have a giant smoking turbos get together then call a local news channel.You know push the whole green global warming bulls*** thing. I would love to see the local reported start choking during the broadcast while me smoke the b**** out. This is a pathetic what mazda has done and now they are just waiting it out.

Oh he also said he see's alot more cx7's due to more sales smoking.

Sounds good to me. I have read in other posts about the smoking turbos. Couldnt that be under mazdas emissions warranty? My damn car has been sitting at dealer since june 15th and even the extended warranty people that i bought through the dealer dont want to warranty my turbo because they said it is not a covered component, even though i specifically asked the idiot i bought the warranty off of if the turbo was covered and he said yes. I am furious at mazda.

It's part of the drivetrain which is covered by Mazda, not extended warranty. Good until 60k miles. I'd be on the phone everyday and night until I got it fixed or flat out denied. **** letting your car just sit, it may smoke but it still drives.

Back