C&D Focus - Mazda 3 Comparo

LennyR

:
2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata
The December issue of Car and Driver, in my mail a couple of days ago, presents a competitive analysis of the 2014 Mazda 3i GT and the Ford Focus SE. The reason for this pairing is that the Focus has won C&Ds comparison of all the best compact cars for the last three years, and the editors saw the new Mazda as a worthy challenger for the crown. The 2.0L version of the Mazda 3 was chosen because its powerplant best approximates the Fords 2.0L, 160hp mill.

Cutting to the chase, the Mazda won by a goodly margin (220 to 205) and now sits atop C&Ds compact car hill. Here are a few quotes to give a flavor of the editors take on the new Mazda 3:

The long hood, bulging fenders, and windswept sheetmetal suggest a car with more class and ambition than the outgoing carand your typical compact. Its a design that Infiniti or Lexus would be fortunate to claim. The 3 lives up to its billing inside, with one staffer calling the cabin Audi-like.

As with the Focus, the 3s finest attributes are its suspension and chassis. The 3 delivers handling thats more neutral and better attuned to driver input. Supple damping massages the transition between compression and rebound, setting the 3s ride apart from that of the Focus. The suspension tune is compliant without compromising handling, a masterful balance that is rare for a car of this size and price.

Awesome!

They need to do a comparison with the 3 S, Forte SX 5 door, Scion TC, Veloster turbo and Juke Nismo soon too now that there's more "warm hatches/coupes" on the market or coming into market

I'd like to see a three way comparo; 3s, Forte Hatch and Golf.

That'd be awesome! Forgot that the golf will be getting the 1.8T next year so it'd be perfect to compare to the 3s and Forte SX hatch. Wouldn't be fair to put them against the GTI since that car is a Focus ST competitor.

Edit: Both the Forte SX in coupe form and the new 3 were finalists in MotorTrend's COTY competition for 2014. They still concluded that the 3 is the better car overall while the Kia's handling did improve, its still behind the 3 and the Focus.

Last edited:
I'm curious how the new golf will do. When I first saw their mk7 golf I really liked it but then I didn't want to wait so long for them to come to the states. With the new 1.8T engine it'll be pretty similar to the mazda3 s but will torque coming in earlier on the golf. I wanted the golf because I know it'll have a smoother and more quiet ride but I'm still a bit wary of their reliability. I'm on the new golf forum since early this year and that car has quite a bit of issue. Wasn't sure I wanted to buy into that brand =/ Then I saw the redesigned 3 and so glad I got it :D

I wanted a GTI or a Mini Cooper S at first actually but of course VW and Mini's reliability reputation or lack thereof turn me away, the Volvo C30 and the Hyundai Veloster Turbo were too expensive and/or impractical, and the Kia Forte's safety ratings were all pretty low. Plus the fact that the Koreans said to use 87 made me weary knowing forced induction cars all require 91. then the other day I found some dyno graphs with runs for the 1.6T done on regular and premium on the Veloster Turbo and found they're overstating the hp/torque figures on regular while with premium it got a little bit over its rated hp/tq figures....and i've never heard of many people matching hyundai/kia's mpg estimates. One test drive of the 3s was all it took to convince me that this was the car to get. Everything I wanted and more but nothing I didn't. Will be driving up to Camarillo on monday to see what this guy can really do!

score.jpg

Score breakdown for those that are interested

What are the "features/amenities" the Focus is so lacking?

Not sure, the equipment is pretty much on par with each other.

On another note, another car to compare to the 3s is the Dodge Dart with the 2.4 liter engine. Right on the same ballpark with the 3s, Forte SX 5 door, Veloster turbo, Juke Nismo, Golf 1.8T, Scion tC, and even the Mini Countryman S.

What are the "features/amenities" the Focus is so lacking?

I think the Mazda 3 has a lot more tech features, such as HUD, Active Cruise Control, iEloop, better Nav system/interface, lots of little touches here and there. The interior quality is night and day as well. The focus feels like your in a econobox, while the Mazda 3 feels like your in something more like a low end BMW/Benz. Heck I have seen cheap Benz's that feel worse then the Mazda 3 does, as far as soft touch materials and touchy/feely things go.

I think the Mazda 3 has a lot more tech features, such as HUD, Active Cruise Control, iEloop, better Nav system/interface, lots of little touches here and there. The interior quality is night and day as well. The focus feels like your in a econobox, while the Mazda 3 feels like your in something more like a low end BMW/Benz. Heck I have seen cheap Benz's that feel worse then the Mazda 3 does, as far as soft touch materials and touchy/feely things go.

The specifically were testing an i Grand touring which does not have HUD/Active cruise control or iEloop. The new 7 inch display is nice and I agree that the interior quality is vastly better.

The specifically were testing an i Grand touring which does not have HUD/Active cruise control or iEloop. The new 7 inch display is nice and I agree that the interior quality is vastly better.

That's true. Maybe they were just speaking generally to the Mazda 3 vs Focus including all trims ;) On the website you can also find the detailed instrumented test of the 2.5 S GT as well, probably drove both at roughly the same time.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mazda-3-s-hatchback-25l-automatic-test-review

Only thing is, they said they didn't use their normal test track, this one was "noticeably slicker" then their normal track.. so their numbers are probably off a little bit :( Kind of makes it hard to do a 1 to 1 comparison to other cars.. but even still the numbers are pretty good.

2.5L 2014 Mazda 3

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 34.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.8 sec
Standing -mile: 15.6 sec @ 91 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 179 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g

Last edited:
I had a 2013 focus. The Mazda 3 has much more standard equipment at the same price as the ford. The interior looks and feels much better in the Mazda. The Mazda is quieter overall (the focus tires are quieter), has less throttle lag, the traction control lets you actually drive without freaking out, Bluetooth works much more seamlessly, and the Mazda gets better fuel mileage.

I'm very happy with the switch

The main Mazda3' noise issue can be attributed to the lousy Dunlop tires.
As for engine sound, I don't consider it as "noise". It is music to my ears.

I was surprised that the article indicated no difference, or even a preference, for comfort in the Focus. I lived with 2, 2012 Focus Titanium hatchbacks. I'm 6'3" tall. I was never able to get fully comfortable in my Focuses. The vertical height adjustment didn't work like I would have liked, moving the seat forward significantly with increased height. The first thing I noticed in sitting in the Mazda3 before I bought it was increased legroom in the front. Maybe it doesn't on paper, but when I adjust the height where I want it, and have the front seat all the way back, I sure as s*** am more comfortable and have more leg room. My right leg to the gas pedal is almost straight, with just a slight bend in my knee. That was not the case with the Focus. I also find the seats more comfortable, although I have not been on a drive longer than about 1h30m. In order for my sciatica in my left leg to not bother me quite a bit in the Focus, I had to buy a cushion designed for car seats. So far I have not had to use this in the Mazda3.

The main Mazda3' noise issue can be attributed to the lousy Dunlop tires.
As for engine sound, I don't consider it as "noise". It is music to my ears.

Once I get through the tires that came with my car, I'm probably gonna get a set of Kumhos or something a little bit better

My M3 has Yokohama tires. They don't seem too noisy.

Are there any outstanding features on the new 2014 Forte hatch over the 3S?

I think the Forte does have heated rear seats, cooled/heated front seats, heated steering wheel, and electric foldable mirrors. Probably some other few things that I really don't care too much about.

Back