Broken serpentine belt...can I drive to a shop?

Dbrennan

My wife's 2008 cx9 snapped the serpentine belt tonight. We were close enough to get back home but I want to know if its okay to drive it to the shop to get repaired (about 10 miles). I know it runs the alternator and AC, but can't find out if it also powers the water pump. Last thing I want to do is overheat on the side of the road.

Putting a new one on seems simple enough, but we're short on time and she'd rather just get it done ASAP then have me muddle through it in the driveway. Thanks.

Not the water pump, which is driven by chain.
There are two belts. The front one (wider one) drives the A/C and alternator.
The rear one (less visible and narrower) drives the power steering.
I won't recommend driving it because you could
- run out of battery charge (engine would choke)
- have no power assist with steering (very hard to turn unless vehicle is in motion)
(depending on which one is broken off)

Do you have roadside assistance coverage on your insurance policy? if so you can get a tow for free, even if there is no collision or anything.
Also, if you are mechanically inclined, you can order the belt via parts department or online and one of us, or me, can send you the factory procedure pages for replacing it.

There are 2 belts.
The Alternator/Air conditioner drive belt is a conventional serpentine belt.
The Power Steering Pump belt is a 'Stretchy' belt and require a special install/Remove tool.

The Alternator/Air conditioner drive belt is easy enough to replace:

1. Remove Engine Cover
2. Remove the front wheel and tire (RH). (See GENERAL PROCEDURES (SUSPENSION) .)
3. Remove the splash shield (RH).
4. Set a breaker bar on the center of the tensioner pulley as shown.
5. Using the breaker bar, turn the center of the tensioner pulley clockwise to release the tension on the
generator and A/C drive belt.
6. Remove the generator and A/C drive belt.
7. Install the generator and A/C drive belt.
8. Verify that the drive belt auto tensioner indicator mark is within the maximum and minimum belt length.
(See DRIVE BELT INSPECTION [MZI-3.7].)
 If the drive belt auto tensioner indicator mark is not within the limit, replace the generator and A/C
drive belt.
9. Install the splash shield (RH).
10. Install the front wheel and tire (RH). (See GENERAL PROCEDURES (SUSPENSION) .)
11. Install the engine cover. (See ENGINE COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [MZI-3.7].)
NOTE:
When the generator and A/C drive belt is replaced with a new one, the
drive belt auto tensioner indicator mark is aligned with the nominal
belt length mark. -

The real question is - why did the belt 'snap'?
Not a typical failure mode.
Is there another problem? - A/C compressor or Idler seize?

Last edited:
Thanks all. The dealer couldn't get the belts until tomorrow (Tuesday) with the Labor Day holiday, so I'll be taking it up there tomorrow. At least I know I'm not risking overheating.

The real question is - why did the belt 'snap'?
Not a typical failure mode.
Is there another problem? - A/C compressor or Idler seize?

I will definitely have them look at things to see if there's a likely cause. With just over 36k...that's nowhere near when I should have to be thinking about belt replacement!

Back