Broke my nuts!!!

Amarek

Its not as bad as it sounds.

Caution to anyone that is putting on steelies for the winter time. Do not use the Mazda lock nuts, the nuts do not have a deep enough thread. Unfortunately I don't know what brand of steelies I have but I did get them from Canadian Tire.

right around 60 ft/lbs the top of mine snapped right off, leaving me with a very smooth bolt to take off. Half hour and many curses later it came off.

The same thing happened to me, but it was the dealership who was working on my car's suspension problems. The dealership broke one of the locking nuts so replaced the whole set.

you guys have not even begun to expirience my hell. i got my rotas and bought a set of four locking lug nuts to make sure no one jacked my s***. so after about 3000 on the new wheels and tires i go to rotate my tires and both the front locks are siezed. the key has rounded out he top of the lug nuts and now i am f**ked. i took it to my buddy who works for goodyear and he even said i was screwed. i have tried drilling but that is not doing much. sucks because if i get a flat i will have to abandon my car or have it towed. any suggestions?

I dont know if this will solve your problem but my brother has a Mitsu Eclipse and has been thru 3 sets of lock nuts. He normally takes a socket slightly smaller than the nut and hammers it on there and then simply twists it off. I know what you are thinking..."well then the socket has the nut stuck in it when you are done"...well 2 outta 3 times the nut fell outta the socket. Try it if you like. It works. You may have to buy a new socket but thats only like a $1 or 2.

Hmm, sorry to hear that u guys. I'm glad I decided to put all regular lugs on my steelies instead of the locking ones. Just lucky I guess.

jsgolfer one suggestion that is really a hack job is to use a grinder to flatten two sides of the nut and then crank it off. May also want to heat up the nut a bit. Now if these are on good rims I would stay clear of this approach or you will be explaining to your friends why there is a grind mark on your rim. And by the sounds of your luck you don't need the hassle. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up guys... muh tires r'nt here yet (dammit), but hopefully soon; probably saved me some hassel with the nuts though!!

Next time try anti-sieze...

I know some on this board will complain that using anti-seize (special lube available in a small tube) will make your wheels fall off, but after dealing with stuck lug nuts, I have been using the stuff on my studs for 20 years, and never had a problem. A small dab 'll do ya, and reduce the skinned knuckles and curses when removing nuts. Just be sure to follow the proper tightening order, and keep to the torque specs, and your wheels should stay on fine! Of course, for steelies you might need to get another set of lug nuts made for the wheels' thickness and seats.

I GOT SPLINE DRIVE ON ALL MY STUDS AND HAVE HAD THEM ON AND OFF SEVERAL TIMES WITH NO PROBLEMS. I WORK FOR ONE OF THE LARGEST TIRE DISTRIBUTORS IN THE EAST AND SELL LOTS OF LOCKING LUGS. ITS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT SOME CARS JUST WONT PROPERLY ACCEPT THEM WITHOUT A CHANGE IN THE STUD. WE MAY BE OUT OF LUCK IN THIS DEPT.

Back