Blue and white smokeon start up and more as i drive

Johnoolo

:
2003.5 mazda speed protg
It seems inevitable that the valve seals will need to be replaced I burn a ton of oil like I mean a lot a quart every week or more when I start the vehicle I get the cloud of blue and white smoke. So what options do I have pull the head and replace the valve seals that way and how would you recommend pulling the head? or should I try the old nylon rope trick with the camshafts off while replacing the timeing belt and water pump?

Last edited:
Do a compression test to be sure it isn't the turbo, or see if there is oil in the hot pipe. Never seen people do a valve job without removing the head on these cars.

To replace the valve seals, you need to take the head out, no ifs and/or buts. I suggest taking the head to a machine shop and having it decked to get it nice and flat, then change the head gasket. Heck, while you're at the machine shop, you can probably also get it hot tanked to get rid of any carbon, varnish etc.

To replace the valve seals, you need to take the head out, no ifs and/or buts.

This is simply not true. With the right valve spring compressors (an overhead set) and an air compressor to hold the valves up you can do it yourself. I have done it twice without removing the head. It's a little tight getting the old seals out and especially reseating the keepers, but it's all doable.

Replacing valve stem seals fixed my blue smoke on startup issue but I still burn some oil, so for me at least I haven't figured out the whole problem.

Im having the same problem with my msp =/ blue smoke when i turn it on and when I'm running it and accelerating. So oviously you guys recomend 2 first check the turbo? Or isit gonna be the head gasket?

White smoke can indicate a bad head gasket but you will probably see bubbling in the radiator overflow under throttle. Blue smoke is oil which can be consumed a number of different ways: PCV issue, worn rings, valve seals or the turbo.

Back