Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

I received this in mail today!

I didn’t experience oil consumption atleast not yet as I dont drive it that much so maybe I should now lol
I am in the same position as you. I got the same mailer and my VIN is in the affected range but have never had the low oil light come on. I only have 10,000 miles on the 2021 CX 5 Turbo and only get an oil change once a year from the dealer due to low annual mileage. I haven’t noticed any smoke smell either. Don’t know whether to ask for the oil consumption test or what. Concerns me because I normally keep my cars for 10 to 12 years before replacing.

Same card in the mail
Same low usage with no light
I change oil once in 5k, the card says 7.5k, makes me wonder if I should switch to 7.5k and see what happens

I received this in mail today!

I didn’t experience oil consumption atleast not yet as I dont drive it that much so maybe I should now lol
Yes if you don’t drive much, you won’t see low oil level warning light. Usually it take 5,000 miles to consume 1 quart of oil with bad exhaust valve stem seals on the 2021 2.5T.

I am in the same position as you. I got the same mailer and my VIN is in the affected range but have never had the low oil light come on. I only have 10,000 miles on the 2021 CX 5 Turbo and only get an oil change once a year from the dealer due to low annual mileage. I haven’t noticed any smoke smell either. Don’t know whether to ask for the oil consumption test or what. Concerns me because I normally keep my cars for 10 to 12 years before replacing.
Same card in the mail
Same low usage with no light
I change oil once in 5k, the card says 7.5k, makes me wonder if I should switch to 7.5k and see what happens
@Glee217, @Mike47, @gazelle, with this class action lawsuit settlement, you no longer need low oil level warning light or error code DTC P250F:00 to get inferior exhaust valve stem seals replaced. See this post by @Tchman2016:

Did you receive the settlement card in the mail and show it to them? It doesn't matter if there is a light or code set, it can be repaired right now according to the settlement stipulations. You just need to tell them that you had to add oil before the next oil change was due because it was low on the dipstick.

Call them back or call Mazda and tell them the dealer is refusing to acknowledge the settlement and giving you excuses.

Class action settlement reached for defective exhaust valve seals/oil burning on 2021 CX-5, CX-9 2.5T etc

Mazda already admitted they used a batch of inferior exhaust valve stem seals for all 2.5T’s manufactured in 2021. The seals will fail causing oil consumption. Don’t wait, go get seals replaced at your earliest convenience.

@Glee217, @Mike47, @gazelle, with this class action lawsuit settlement, you no longer need low oil level warning light or error code DTC P250F:00 to get inferior exhaust valve stem seals replaced. See this post by @Tchman2016:

Class action settlement reached for defective exhaust valve seals/oil burning on 2021 CX-5, CX-9 2.5T etc

Mazda already admitted they used a batch of inferior exhaust valve stem seals for all 2.5T’s manufactured in 2021. The seals will fail causing oil consumption. Don’t wait, go get seals replaced at your earliest convenience.
Sorry, apparently there will be a fairness hearing on 8/5/24 to consider whether to approve the settlement, so this settlement isn't finalized just yet.

YOUR RIGHTS AND OPTIONS
MAKE A CLAIM FOR CASH REIMBURSEMENTThe only way to get a payment. Claim Forms must be submitted online or postmarked by October 19, 2024.
EXCLUDE YOURSELFGet no payment. This is the only option that allows you to ever be part of any other lawsuit against Defendants about the legal claims in this case. Requests for exclusion must be postmarked by June 27, 2024.
OBJECTWrite to the Court about why you don’t like the Settlement. The deadline to file an objection is June 27, 2024.
DO NOTHINGGet extended warranty coverage and Valve Stem Seal repair, but get no payment. Give up rights.
ATTEND A HEARINGAsk to speak in Court about why you do or do not like the proposed Settlement or any of its provisions. The Fairness Hearing will be held on August 5, 2024, and the deadline to inform the Court of your intent to speak at the Hearing is June 27, 2024.

The notice says the remedy is available right now. The settlement has occurred meaning all parties agreed and it's just a formality that has to be ruled on by a court and made fact that all parties have agreed. See notice:

Attachments

• 20240521_145809.jpg
    20240521_145809.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 19
Damn so much like me, little over 10k mi on my 21 gtr, I had no oil issues yet, maybe I will check tomorrow for sure lol.

So far only had front strut assemblies replaces due to creaking noise (spring) and popping noise. Also the solenoid leak (replaced solenoid).

I also tend to keep vehicles for long easily 10-12 yrs and I just got over $400 accessories like both mud giards, rear bumper silver trim, moon roof deflector!

Yes if you don’t drive much, you won’t see low oil level warning light. Usually it take 5,000 miles to consume 1 quart of oil with bad exhaust valve stem seals on the 2021 2.5T.
My 08 civic started consuming oil only at 180k mi no joke! Hope my cx5 is ok!😬

My 08 civic started consuming oil only at 180k mi no joke! Hope my cx5 is ok!😬
Yes Honda quality used to be good. My 1998 Honda CR-V with 192K miles is like your 08 Civic, right now it uses ⅓ quart of oil for each 5,000-mile oil change. And I’m using cheap conventional Castrol GTX oil since new. The 2.5L NA in my 2016 CX-5 with only 53K miles uses about ½ quart of oil for each 5,000-mile oil change. And I’m using pretty expensive Mazda Moly full synthetic oil since new.

So shall we wait till this finalizes on 8/5 to bring to dealership?
If you’ve ever had Low Oil Level Warning Light on and message displayed, you can talk to Mazda dealer to replace the valve stem seals under warranty based on the TSB. The DTC P250F code would be registered when the Low Oil Level Warning Light was on. You don’t have to wait and use class action lawsuit settlement.

TSB No.: 01-003/23 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WITH DTC P250F:00 DUE TO LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL

F40FF2DD-CA93-4CA1-A1DC-BC5B592B195B.jpeg

If you’ve ever had Low Oil Level Warning Light on and message displayed, you can talk to Mazda dealer to replace the valve stem seals under warranty based on the TSB. The DTC P250F code would be registered when the Low Oil Level Warning Light was on. You don’t have to wait and use class action lawsuit settlement.

TSB No.: 01-003/23 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WITH DTC P250F:00 DUE TO LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL

View attachment 328471
Thanks for the reply, I dont have any message nor oil consumption yet as I only have 10k mi on my 21 gtr.

Thanks for the reply, I dont have any message nor oil consumption yet as I only have 10k mi on my 21 gtr.
Have a 21 Sig with 14k miles. Definitely notice oil drop on the dipstick between changes. I've done 4 changes already. Really wondering if I should let a stealership hack up the engine to perform the seal replacements. Incompetence levels are off the chart these days

Have a 21 Sig with 14k miles. Definitely notice oil drop on the dipstick between changes. I've done 4 changes already. Really wondering if I should let a stealership hack up the engine to perform the seal replacements. Incompetence levels are off the chart these days
From what I see in the TSB, they don't have to "hack up the engine" as they made a special tool to remove/replace the seals without dismantling much of the motor. Seems pretty innocuous. I would get it done while it is under warranty.

Lol, I share the sentiment. I'd really push for that master tech to do the work

From what I see in the TSB, they don't have to "hack up the engine" as they made a special tool to remove/replace the seals without dismantling much of the motor. Seems pretty innocuous. I would get it done while it is under warranty.
This valve stem seal replacement job on the 2.5T isn’t easy even with the special tools designed to eliminate head removal. You can go through the repair steps in the TSB and see how complicated the job is. The TSB also stated that:

“This repair can only be performed by Senior and Master Technicians.”

which also indicates the level of difficulty for the job.

Although I also hate to let a dealer perform such job to my engine. But if I had a 2021 2.5T I won’t hesitate to have this job done right now, as for one I have no choice but to let the Mazda dealer replace these inferior exhaust valve stem seals which for sure will fail in the future. Secondly those Master Tech at Mazda dealers should have enough experience now for this job and chances of screwing things up should be minimum.

Honestly if this is the very first or second repairs that the dealerahip/mechanic has done I will not bring it. I will ask and make sure they have done this a few times before bringing it in!!!!

I couldn’t agree with you anymore. I have one guy try to replace the solenoid leak on top of the engine. The valve cover gasket was not even so guess what oil was spraying!!! Valve cover gasket is not that hard lol

Last edited:
Back