Blown LSD's

sweetlou69 said:
well i was drivin around w/terbow mpi tunin my car and out of no where my LSD went after drivin for about 2minutes and not hard at all... time for a new one.. talk about suckin balls

Wow, this realy sux, how many of us is this now. Everybody add their name to the failure list so we can see how many have blown. So the doubters can see and not take it for granted. Good luck on your install.

ya my lsd blew like nothing..havent beaten onthe car or given it full throttle in along time.. started grindin at about 15mph then got worse and the gears were slippin.. its seriously a piece of s*** and an expsensive fix

2/15/06 LSD blew @ 15mph in heavy traffic. I never drive too hard, the car is a daily commuter. Mazda says they will not cover it because "Diffrentials do not break unless they are abused"

Last edited:
GotBoost said:
2/15/06 LSD blew @ 15mph in heavy traffic. I never drive too hard, the car is a daily commuter. Mazda says they will not cover it because "Diffrentials do not break unless they are abused"

What are your mods?

GotBoost said:
Intake and 3" s-pipe back exhaust, stock boost. It's the first proplem I've had with the car since Oct. 2003. C'est la vie...

Well that doesn't make me feel any better.....I've got less than that....I think tha if my LSD blows I'll probably just have to sell the car. These threads always make me wonder if I should just sell it now while it still has a good tranny.

Mine will be sitting for quite some time as I have no money at the moment. My wife's old company screwed up her with holding and we owe the IRS $1200, plus we have to move next month and that will be another $2000+. I have $.37 to my name now too :( Can't even buy one of the new stamps until tomorrow...

GotBoost said:
Mine will be sitting for quite some time as I have no money at the moment. My wife's old company screwed up her with holding and we owe the IRS $1200, plus we have to move next month and that will be another $2000+. I have $.37 to my name now too :( Can't even buy one of the new stamps until tomorrow...

Yeah...that sucks bad. I'm engaged and plan on heading to seminary within the next two years so the money my fiance and I are saving is going towards the wedding and my future tuition amongst other marriage related things. So I can't afford to drop a couple grand on a new LSD if mine blows and my factory warranty is up in one thousand miles. Do you know how much it would cost to get the LSD welded?

srvntfhim said:
Do you know how much it would cost to get the LSD welded?
I don't sorry. I haven't been around the forums in a longtime. My 1st real problem with the car brought me back. I wish I had been reading all along and I would have had it welded along time ago and saved myself a ton of money in the long run.

Anyone know approximaely how much a welder will charge you to weld your LSD? And I guess you have to remove it for them to do that and how difficult is that? AND, when does our tranny warranty end? Is it at 50k miles or does it last longer than that?

well i just got my estimate on my LSD..it was 599$ for the welded LSD off of ken and im lookin at around 600-800$ for labor.the big boy tranny shops like aamco and cottman wanted over a thousand! this LSD thing really sucks.. just ate up my rim and tire funds for this spring

sweetlou69 said:
well i just got my estimate on my LSD..it was 599$ for the welded LSD off of ken and im lookin at around 600-800$ for labor.the big boy tranny shops like aamco and cottman wanted over a thousand! this LSD thing really sucks.. just ate up my rim and tire funds for this spring

So its $599 + 600 in labor? Or its $599 for the welding work and if they take the LSD out its that extra labor?

had anybody blow the diff in a reg protege or p5? i know this says lsd but howabout reg differentials?

cfpkiller said:
had anybody blow the diff in a reg protege or p5? i know this says lsd but howabout reg differentials?

Hey! Thread jacker! (chair) You better hope I get my question answered too.... (glare)

2003 MSP, diff blew with about 28k miles, on 2-22-05. My car was driven hard, but never needlessly abused and i had an AWR front motor mount to limit wheel hop.

It broke in normal driving at about 25 mph right after a stop light in traffic.

I thought my clutch had been slipping for a week or 2 before, felt a shudder under hard accell, especially highway pulls while tuning my emanage.

Then after about 2 weeks it let go.

Sold everything, went back to stock, and mazda warrantied it. I got flamed for getting mine covered, which is one reason i havent been around.

2 other local MSPs have also suffered blown diffs. Both were modified.

KyRaceFan said:
2003 MSP, diff blew with about 28k miles, on 2-22-05. My car was driven hard, but never needlessly abused and i had an AWR front motor mount to limit wheel hop.

It broke in normal driving at about 25 mph right after a stop light in traffic.

I thought my clutch had been slipping for a week or 2 before, felt a shudder under hard accell, especially highway pulls while tuning my emanage.

Then after about 2 weeks it let go.

Sold everything, went back to stock, and mazda warrantied it. I got flamed for getting mine covered, which is one reason i havent been around.

2 other local MSPs have also suffered blown diffs. Both were modified.

That sucks fo shizzle. I just got my car back from the dealership the other dsay and I'm noticing a strange hesitation in the car when I let off the gas but it only happens when the car is a little cold. I feel uneasy about it but I figure if it was the tranny it wouldn't go away after the car warmed up a bit, but I don't know what's changed since I got it from the dealer. THey replaced the turbo and the amp and sub.

srvntfhim said:
Hey! Thread jacker! (chair) You better hope I get my question answered too.... (glare)
I think he's buying some else's welded diff for like 600+600 in labor 1200 total, I've never seen anybody break an open diff. It just transfers power to the wheel with less traction, so just mad wheel spin. BURNOUT, hope that answers everybody.

Back