Blown LSD's

TheSuperhuman

Contributor
:
2003 Black Mica MSP #548(gone), 97 Jeep Wrangler
To all of you who have blown their LSD's, what did you do to blow and how do you normally drive? Did this happen under normal driving conditions or were you driving under constant heavy load all the time?

I have read the entire forums. I see a few that have popped in 3rd gear or just normal driving. MY question is the same How many cars were moded to the gills when they blew? Just because your LSD blew at 20mph doesnt mean the car wasnt driven harshly. I bet mine was driven to hell and back before i got it, so mine may blow any day but mine is back to stock. I would like to see what this guy wrote "lsd gone at 22k, fmic, exhaust, dp" If you race your car or have driven it very hard is there a bigger chance it will go?

I have one other question 43 LSD (that we know of) Failures out of what 4000 cars? Is that an epidemic? Or have 43 people modded thier cars and ran the hell out of them and they broke? I am not saying they did, I am just asking what all the common factors where and they all didnt post all the mods and the way the car was driven. Is this LSD in any of the other proteges? If so how many of them have broken?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my car to an 1/8 mile track a few times two or three and drove normally most of the time. I always carry people with me but never really got on the gas with people in the car. I wouldn't want to break, get a ticket or street race with others there so most of the time I drove it normally. Mine broke coming home from dinner one night we were at a car meet at a TGIF's. Just about to hop on the freeway and the car had no power just reved so I made sure I was in gear and then I knew it had busted. I was hopping it was the clutch, because my car still drove but if you drove it normally it would feel like the clutch was slipping bad. It broke a year or so after any of my track days, so that makes me think if I abused it to death or was it bound to happen. Don't think it wont happen to you it comes at the strangest time BOOM. No more diff.

Orng1/Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
so is there any way you can brace it or make it a little stronger somehow

It can be welded for added strength or you can throw in a Quaife. The best thing to do is not to be stupid and subject it to abnormal stress. The blown LSD's are not an epidemic. Many more cars on the road still with the original LSD versus the limited number of blown ones.

Close to $1500.00 with the bolt kit that is needed. There is a special on the quaife I read somewhere on here but the bolt kit is out of stock.

Orng1/Bob

DAWIV said:
It can be welded for added strength or you can throw in a Quaife. The best thing to do is not to be stupid and subject it to abnormal stress. The blown LSD's are not an epidemic. Many more cars on the road still with the original LSD versus the limited number of blown ones.
What kind of actions are stressful to the LSD? Wheel hop or just launching in general? Shifting too fast? Cornering hard/putting down power while cornering hard?

driving the msp is harmful to your lsd, or any other expensive component (such as engine and/or turbo) for that matter. the best thing to do is leave the car parked in your driveway. whether you understand that this is a humorous comment, i'm personally started to get completely iritated with the fact that this car was made to be modified for regular every day driving because everything is falling apart and mazda won't acknowledge it. and then when you do modify it, they will void the warranty. such a crappy company.

get your lsd welded asap. either take it to a performance shop and pay them the labor + welding to do it, or you could look up the howto here somewhere on how to take it out and then you just need to have someone weld it for you.

What about if you weld 2 L brackets on each side will that hold it enough? I heard thats what they do for offroad trucks to reinforce it.

FYI -- I just cleaned up this thread by deleting and editing out the 'bickering' that was going on.

Carry on...

well i was drivin around w/terbow mpi tunin my car and out of no where my LSD went after drivin for about 2minutes and not hard at all... time for a new one.. talk about suckin balls

Last edited:
mine went out as i was pulling onto a busy road, i'm pulling out and then POP! GRIIIIIIIINDDDDD, then no power and me going 5 mph in BUSY traffic, then the dealer told me it was the clutch, which was bulls***, but i didn't know that at the time, that was before i knew my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to automotive knowledge. so they take it in and start working on it, then the next day they call to tell me it will be anohter day because "there is apparently a problem with the differential so we will replace it under warranty". you know what it was, it was Mazda trying to make money off an ignorant moron who doesn't know any better. total bill was 911.00 to replace a clutch that was fine..... **** dealers, do your own work! thats what i say. although there are a select few dealerships that are cool so... i just wish i had one near me.

i just i hope for sure its the lsd.. i was with tony aka turbo and he called up some big wigs on the boards and they all said it was the lsd so i have faith it is

Back