Best way to remove speaker box carpet

ARunto

Contributor
:
'03 Black Mica #226
I've got a box that has carpet it on it. What's the best way to remove it? (ie. the adhesive glue). I'm gonna paint the box instead.

-Alan

Dexter said:
Just start ripping it up...crowbar style?
Yep, thats about the only way. Anything that is watery enough to penetrate the carpet will also soak into the box. You could also SEM paint the carpet to the color you want it to be.

Well, yeah, if youre going to paint it. Or i guess you could bondo over it to get a smooth surface.

ARunto said:
How about the glue underneath? Should I just sand it off?
You can try wiping it down with acetone but I don't think your going to get far. My path would be a metal putty knive to scrape of anything easy, then a belt sander :D

think it be faster building another box honestly. will take forever if its a thick type glue, if they just used like a 3m spray adhesive you may just be able to give it a quick sand, throw a layer of resin over top and bondo and sand it down.

sanding never works. you will have to bondo the entire thing to get a smooth surface. Better off building another box and selling that one on ebay or something.

On a side note, i learned this weekend that vinyl doesn't stick twice. I misjudged the opening for my amps by about 1/16 of an inch. They fit before I vinyled but not after. I pulled the stuff off, made the hole larger, but couldn't get it to stick again. I'm going to end up redoing the entire piece next time I get a chance.

Yeah...I'll probably just build another box...this is a temp box anyway. Thanks for the input guys.

-Alan

chuyler1 said:
sanding never works. you will have to bondo the entire thing to get a smooth surface. Better off building another box and selling that one on ebay or something.

On a side note, i learned this weekend that vinyl doesn't stick twice. I misjudged the opening for my amps by about 1/16 of an inch. They fit before I vinyled but not after. I pulled the stuff off, made the hole larger, but couldn't get it to stick again. I'm going to end up redoing the entire piece next time I get a chance.
What adhesive did you use?

Latest posts

Back