Beltronics Vector FX2 / Speed6 Information

PerfectXtreme

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
I'd like to get a thread started for for calibration on this unit for the Speed6. I recently picked one of these up, played around with it for a bit. But the unit needs to be setup properly to give better times and readings.

If you have this unit, or want to contribute in some way please feel free to post. I'll list the information required to program the unit below. And I'd like to see what numbers other speed6 owners are using... or "would" use if they had the unit.

--------- Calibration requirements -------------

1) Vehicle Weight

GVWR is the sum of Curb Weight and Payload (payload is max weight vehicle is designed to carry). We need and want the Curb Weight only, and I'm pretty sure the factory sticker is incorrect if it even lists curb weight. For example, when I rolled up onto a truck scale I remember seeing somewhere around 3880 several months ago. I have a little extra weight in the vehicle from stereo equipment, but that shouldn't be a HUGE change from other stock owners.

2) Horsepower Speed MIN and MAX

This is the speed range for HP calculations and the computer will provide an average HP over these two ranges. Default is 30 to 60 MPH. If you can think of a reason to change this and use different ranges please post why.

3) Drivetrain Loss

All speed6 owners should know and love this one! How much power we lose from our awsome AWD SETUP! A few examples below...
2 wheel drive with manual transmission = .15
2 wheeld rive with automatic transmission = .20
4 wheel drive with manual transmission = .20
3 wheeld rivew ith automatic transmission = .25

These numbers are averages from the book. Please post what you KNOW or "think" you know our vehicle does. I know that the speed6 is mostly FWD, so our power loss might be less than that of an STI or EVO who's AWD setups are probably a bit better and more "active" than ours. But I don't know. Post ideas either way.

4) Rolling Resistance

This one is simple... characteristic of the vehicle's tires. "Most" passenger vehicles, the default of .013 is the proper choice. If you know or think differently please post.

5) Aerodynamic Drag (CDA)

There is a huge long, drawn out description of this and how to calculate it, I will summerize as best as possible. It lists 3 ways to find it.

a) Manufacturer's spec or manual / research.
b) Estimate CDA based on listing of several other vehicles.
Honda Insight = 5.1 CDA
Corvette C5 = 6.2 CDA
Porsche 911 = 6.2 CDA
Audi S4 = 6.8 CDA
Honda Civic = 7.1 CDA
Minivan or SUV = 12.0 CDA
Pickup or Van = 15.8 CDA

c) Coastdown test

On a flat road, on a day with no wind, accelerate to slightly above 60 MPH.
Put your car in neutral.
Measure the time it takes for your car to decelerate from exactly 60 MPH to exactly 50 MPH
Perform this test at least three times in each direction and you should get similar numbers, take the average

There is a big chart I dont' feel like typing out, however for those who do this test, and provide a number to me, I will be more than happy to do the math and give you the real CDA for you to add in your post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for everyone who wants to help out. I think that if we can get enough people to respond, and average out all the ideas and numbers. We'll get some pretty damn good results outta the Vector.

Back