bbk?

quatelate

:
mazda, mazdaspeed protege
ok guys ive been working at a porsche dealership for a while and realized that i can get me some cayenne brakes really cheap (13" 4piston brembo calipers), now my question is can we swap these on to our cars like audi vw guys do? would it be cheaper than just buying a brembo bbk considering i can get the front pair of calipers for around $400.

Can you find a rotor to match the caliper that has the right offset, ID and bolt pattern? You don't be able to fit them behind stock wheels. Have you reached the limit of the stock brakes?

quatelate said:
ok guys ive been working at a porsche dealership for a while and realized that i can get me some cayenne brakes really cheap (13" 4piston brembo calipers), now my question is can we swap these on to our cars like audi vw guys do? would it be cheaper than just buying a brembo bbk considering i can get the front pair of calipers for around $400.

Even if you have everything the part that matters the most is making the right bracket to fit..

*subs*
I was thinking about doing the same except from I'd be taking the brembo's off an Infinity g35.

low_psi said:
Can you find a rotor to match the caliper that has the right offset, ID and bolt pattern? You don't be able to fit them behind stock wheels. Have you reached the limit of the stock brakes?

what is ID?... im pretty sure theyll fit behind my wheels as im not using the stockers anymore, and i have warped my rotors twice so im not sure if thats more my fault or the brakes.

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
Even if you have everything the part that matters the most is making the right bracket to fit..

would a machine shop be able to do this

quatelate said:
what is ID?... im pretty sure theyll fit behind my wheels as im not using the stockers anymore, and i have warped my rotors twice so im not sure if thats more my fault or the brakes.

would a machine shop be able to do this

MSP Front Rotors
Outside Diameter: 273.7mm
Height: 47.4mm
Center bore: 72.05mm
Bolt Size: 13 mm
5 x 114.3

Porsche Cayenne 03
Outside Diameter: 350mm
Height: 69mm
Center bore: 83mm
Bolt Size: 15.4mm
5 x 130

Porsche Cayenne 04 17" Wheels
Outside Diameter: 330mm
Center bore: 85mm
Bolt Size: 15.2 mm
5 x 130

Porsche Cayenne 04 18" Wheels
5 x 130

I would have to say no it will not fit 100%

I think we'd have a better shot with the Mazdaspeed6 brakes... Aside from the cosmetics of it, though, I think a good set of Hawk or EBC pads and some nicer rotors are more than we need. Bigger brakes don't necessarily mean we'll stop faster.

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
MSP Front Rotors
Outside Diameter: 273.7mm
Height: 47.4mm
Center bore: 72.05mm
Bolt Size: 13 mm
5 x 114.3

Porsche Cayenne 03
5 x 130

Porsche Cayenne 04 17" Wheels
Outside Diameter: 330mm
Center bore: 85mm
Bolt Size: 15.2 mm
5 x 130

Porsche Cayenne 04 18" Wheels
5 x 130

I would have to say no it will not fit 100%

wow dude its really cool of you to look all that up, thanks. As far as the brakes clearing im running 18's so i think they'll clear. As far as the center bore and lug pattern would it be possible to change the center section of a porsche 2 peice rotor so that it would match the specs of ours.

quatelate said:

ID is inner diameter

If you are doing this for looks, good luck, I'm no help. If what you want is better braking without warping the rotors I'd suggest three things; Quality blank (as in unslotted and not crossdrilled) rotors, a good brake pad (thread about these in the racing section) and a torque wrench (evenly torquing the wheels will probably take care of the warping. I've been through a full season of track driving and 100,000 street miles with Carbotech pads and Advance Autoparts rotors with no warping).

sm76 said:
ID is inner diameter

If you are doing this for looks, good luck, I'm no help. If what you want is better braking without warping the rotors I'd suggest three things; Quality blank (as in unslotted and not crossdrilled) rotors, a good brake pad (thread about these in the racing section) and a torque wrench (evenly torquing the wheels will probably take care of the warping. I've been through a full season of track driving and 100,000 street miles with Carbotech pads and Advance Autoparts rotors with no warping).
im not doing it for looks i was just looking into getting a bbk and have seen the audi vw guys swaping to porsche brakes and thought i could take advantage of my awsome employee discount and get a brembo bbk on the cheap.

I purchased KVR rotors and pads and have had all four corners for about 35,000kms with no problems at all (pads are at about 20% front and maybe 40% rear). I have had no vibrations at all!! Stocker's lasted about 25,000kms before rattling, squeeks and normal brake problems...KVR cross drilled, plated, all pads cost me 700$ installed Can$...

Back