Back in the Mazda game, new to the Speed gang...

I can tell the difference between 93 and 87. My wife tried switching one time, but I could feel a noticeable difference, the timing was retarding and it felt like crap. I think I was getting detonation at low rpms and made sure my wife never did that again, and so far she has done ok.

Well let me start with the first trouble shooting question:
When I am driving, and it seems to be only when it is really cold, if I press the clutch as the RPMs fall down they go all the way to zero and the batt light comes on and then the RPM come back up. So it is like it is dying and restarting itself. Is that common? Could it be the battery?

I read about the fuel cut issue so I bet that is it. :)
Going to get the check engine light read just to make sure it is just the sensor issue, hope so!

If I drive this thing very normal, no racing, just back and forth to work, should I have many issues?

Last edited:
No you shouldn't have any issues.......if the maintenance has been kept up to speed. I have 170xxx on a full stock setup right(not for long) now and my car runs like a charm. Its my wifes DD for right now. We have had the car since 19xxx miles and have done nothing but regular maintenance. Fix the issues with it and you should be fine for DD work. Good luck

Just went through an entire tank of regular. At the end of last year I drove the car 1100 straight miles on regular without issue. Got my best MPGs ever to boot. So unless there is something else wrong with your car, you adjusted the stock tuning or you simply drive the car hard then you will not have a problem using regular on occasion. The only time my car ran like crap is when it spent the early part of its life unflashed. Has not felt that way since regardless of the fuel grade that I put in it. 86,000 miles and counting fwiw.

Premium Only dude. Why are all the MSP's in Texas... May be my next state to live in

Lots of people, great weather, wide open spaces and roads. I don't know what I would do if I had to go without my MSP for almost half the year.

Back