Autoweek: 2006 Mazda MX-5 vs. 2006 Pontiac Solstice

vindication said:
well, I wouldn't take either on a road trip.

I couldn't disagree more. We don't have kids so for two people I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather take a vacation/road trip in...except maybe a Porsche Cayman or something.

Nah, unless it's a roadtrip kinda like a canonball run(kinda) or something, even if I were alone, I'd still like a nice luxury vehicle for those long trips. Plenty of room and plenty of creature comforts.

My coworker and her husband took their C5 Vette on a road trip from PA to FL. I dunno, sounds like fun to me! Granted... I guess the 6 speed 5.7L is a bit more relaxed at highway speeds ;)

jandree22 said:
My coworker and her husband took their C5 Vette on a road trip from PA to FL. I dunno, sounds like fun to me! Granted... I guess the 6 speed 5.7L is a bit more relaxed at highway speeds ;)

You also have more room in a Vette, I'd take it too.

JohnnyChan said:
Try taking a vacation for a week in Yosemite & Sequoia with plenty of luggage for two..then try to shut the top when it starts raining while you're carving through a canyon road, then open it 5 minutes later without stopping. Anyway, I think it's the other way around :The MX-5 can do everything the Solstice can do and be a practical car and a fun daily driver.

But again you have to remember, this it their first try. The top and the trunk will be fixed and then you wont have anything to us against it. Not you personally but in general. For me right now if I had to buy one I would go with the MX5 most likely, just because of the trunk issue. But when they fix that (and they will) and when they fix the top ANNNNNDDD when the GXP comes out, holly crap that will kill most cars.

why have to fix problems in design when they could have been averted from the start with proper engineering.

txrxs said:
why have to fix problems in design when they could have been averted from the start with proper engineering.

That could be said with the mazda's too. Look at the recalls that they have had. That could have been fixed with proper engineering!

txrxs said:
because it would not be worth it. The R&D people do to the car is unmatched for the testers and plus it might not happen with every car. Every manufacturer has a problem or 2 or hundreds.

Back