audio questions for P5

jimmyd

Hello all,
I am new here (just bought an 03 P5 a week ago). I not too thrilled with the stock sound since it is pretty muddy sounding. I am looking to upgrade the speakers and add a sub, but still plan to use the factory HU, since I like the factory look. I will also be getting an AuxMod to hook up my Ipod to the factory HU. My brother has helped me install an aftermarket HU in my old car, but I haven't had any other experience other than that. Never had experience with subs either. I will probably have him help me install everything, once I find what I need/want.

After reading this thread, I was going to get an Alpine MRP-F320 (5 channel) amp, but it appears that it is no longer for sale anywhere and there's a limited amount on ebay. It seemed like the easiest solution to my situation, since it would work with stock wiring and there was no need for a LOC. Now I don't know what to do.

I need some suggestions on other amp options. I want to keep price as low as possible on the amp ($200 max, if at all possible, but I know that's probably asking a lot). I don't know if it's possible for me to get by without rewiring everything, but if possible, that would be awesome since I have such limited car audio experience. Another thing is, I don't want extreme bass, just enough to sound full.

Another question... what is the best setup for speakers. Should I get component speakers for the front and 4-way speakers for the back? What will provide the most overall clarity? Any recommendations? I am still looking into my speaker options. I have a limited supply of $$ right now, so I am going to start with an amp and probably the 2 front speakers. Once I get more money, I'll get a sub and the 2 back speakers. A question about compenent speakers... will the tweater fit where the current tweater is located, and is there any other setup required for component speakers?

Alright, those are the only questions I can think of right now. I'll post more later, if I think of them... Thanks in advance!

P.S. here's a pic of my stock P5... :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mazda Forums Jimmy.

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of research and you're ready to commit to an aftermarket stereo system. I started a thread a few weeks ago with people just like you in mind (someone looking to upgrade on a limited budget). It's titled "The $500 audio challenge"
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123627659

Of course, if you have more than $500 to spend then you will have more options available.

I would suggest sticking with a 4-channel amp, a set of component speakers, and a small 8" or 10" subwoofer. Keep the rear factory speakers (for now) and power them off the head unit.

The Alpine MRP-F250 is a nice starter amp for $200. It puts out 40x4 or 100x2 (bridged). We just helped a Mazda5 owner design a system around one in this thread...
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123628697

As for installing component speakers. 5x7" and 6x8" drivers drop right into the front factory locations. With some woodworking, you can get a pair of 5.25" or 6.5" speakers to fit also.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123629472
A 3/4" tweeter will drop right into the factory location. You might get a 1" tweeter in there with a little bit of work. If it won't fit, there are plenty of other places you can mount them.

I just saw the "$500 audio challenge" thread after I started this one and am looking into that a bit.

A few more details... I don't really plan to make a "stage setup" in my car. It will probably be more lke 60 front and 40 back. When i am by myself (most of the time), I will have sound toward the front. When I have rear passengers, I'll probably put a more sound in the back speakers.

I am still trying to decide what I want to do for a setup. Part of me wants to keep the stock HU since it is a 6-disc changer, while the other part of me wants to upgrade the HU with one that fits well with the stock look (redish glow). Upgrading would also allow me to get an Ipod interface so I can control my ipod with the HU, but I've read that most of the interfaces are semi-buggy anyways (hard to navagate through artists, etc). Has anyone had experience with any of the ipod interfaces? My brother has the Pioneer interface, and it has it's glitches.

I was possibly thinking of getting this setup:
- JVC KD-G320 - $129
- JVC KS-PD100 iPod interface - $99 from Crutchfield
- New front speakers (don't know what yet)
With this setup, I would hold off on an amp and sub for a while, but those wouldn't really be necessary right away if I replaced the stock HU. What do you think of this option?

another question reguarding speakers... I've read that component speakers are the way to go, but wouldn't 3-way or 4-way speakers sound more clear? Can't they handle frequencies better than 2-way speakers or am I crazy? I spend a lot of time messing with car stereos and speakers at wal-mart (since I work there), and the 4-way speakers sound way more clear than any of the 2-way speakers. Granted they are all cheap speakers, but it still seams to make sense that generally 4-way speakers would be better. or is there something special about component speakers that I am missing? Thanks for the help!

Agree with chuyler, your best route for good clean sound on a budget isto do a pair of nice front components, powered by the front channels of a 4-way amp, and then you can use the rear channels bridged to a sub. This provides you with a very good clean simple setup with minimal cost. Also, you'll hear it alot, around here, rear speakers upgrades are really nothing any of the purists do anymore. I know it contradicsts everything we've learned about caraudio from crutchfield or "this crazy friend of mine" but try it out, and also take note of how alot of SQ oriented ppl've got their cars setup. RIght now I'm working on new rear speakers for my car (I haven't been running any at all for 2years) but this is simply for the sake of surroundsound due to teh availability of 5.1 SACD and DVD audio recordings.

At anyrate, a couple places where chuyler and I differ isthat I prefer tweeters mounted lower, and larger subwoofers. If you don't mind sacrificing a bit of space, a 12" sub gives you essentially more output capability and lower overall responce for roughly the same $ as an 8 or 10. It mostly depends on your particular listening tastes, but you can always back it off, can't always add more without making an investment in new gear.

As for tweeters I've attached the only pic I have of my car with a 2-way component setup. It's sloppy as it was while I was still trying things out, but position-wise This was my finalized tweeter placement after alot of playing with things and trying locations everywhere from rearview mirror to on-axis including stock locations, etc. I even did a silly experiment with a couplefew LED lights placed around my car in different places driving around with my friends at nightwithout telling them why. Basically this place 90% of the time with varied friends of differing sizes/clothingstyles, etc remained primarily unobstructed. I also find it as no coincidence that many others in here have independantly settled upon the same place for tweeter mounting. Recently Basementgeek posted about it and he stated his were there same as RyanJayG's. Of course this is all subjective and if you've got the time and patience, the best way is to get some good 2-sided tape and try for yourself after you've got your speakers.

Nowthen, as far as speakers, go out and listen to everythig you can within your price range (and outside of it, you'd be amazed how sometimes after hearing a difference you can justify another week's worth of ramen) Do so with your own music, try NOT to use MP3's just straight real discs or well-recorded straight WAV files non-compressed anywhere along the way. Take the same disc from place to place. Try to keep deck/amp as close to on par as possible and put all of the setting to flat with any bass-boosts or whatnot off. And then just listen, use your own ear, and take some tiem if you want ot do it right.

Oh, yea congrats on the car, and props on the color BTW. laser blue rules...

Attachments

• P1040046.JPG
    P1040046.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
as far as how many "ways" speakers are, it's really of no consequence with any "coaxial" type setups. even though there's more speakers on there, more is NOT always better essentialy you'll have extra speakers all playing the same sounds filtered only by their limitatons and not by advanced crossover networks. This means that alot of sounds overlap which creates what's known as cancellation. Basically it's like a bay where waves are coming in at differnt angles, sometimes they'll add to eachother and make bigwaves and others they'll negate eachother and result in flat water. what happens isthat across your frequency spectrum these speakers will generally create flatspots and peaks at random at different frequencies. Asfor why the 4-ways sound better at walmart. essentially the more expensive speakers in that situation generally have more ways to them, so really they're just better speakers alltogether. and nicer parts will override the silly gimmeckry. Often alot of them aren't even really connected to anything and simply ther efor show because ppl like to see more crap hanging off of speakers. Arguably putting more speakers infront of the main midbass element will degrade that sound as well.

THe reason why components are more expensive and sound better isthat rather than putting a simple capacitor on the tweeter to block lows fomr destroying it, Component speakers come with a crossover. These are of varying complexity, but their purpose is to integrate and blend the tweeter and midrange speaker as accurately as possible. This involved keeping the highs out of the midrange as well as lows fomr the tweeter, but also includes level-matching and varied crossover slopes. Now, again, generalyl higher quality parts are used for both speakers in components, but the crossover is really where alot of the magic in a component set is. Additionally, quality speakers will have a fairly broad range of frequency reproduction. a single decent tweeter and nidrange are more than capable of covering all audible frequencies down to point where a sub will be needed to takeover.

Last edited:
Walmart's sound board is a poor representation of car audio...but I am guessing that the most expensive speakers on the board happen to be 3 and 4 ways and there probably aren't any component sets. Go to a real audio shop...or at the very least a retail store like Tweeter, Circuit City, or Best Buy. Anything is better than Walmart. You don't have to go in expecting to buy anything...just go to demo stuff. You can always buy it online later.

As for rear speakers....you didn't buy your Protege because of the rear seat amentities did you? Then why should you be considering passengers when choosing audio equipment? If you cut past all the sound and installation issues, plain and simple...two channels is cheaper than four channels. If you're on a budget, the first thing to go should be the rear speaker configuration. Worry about your passengers later...this is YOUR stereo and it's for YOUR enjoyment. Passengers will hear just fine.

Replacing the head unit is up to you. We can't really guide you with this decision. You know you don't need to upgrade it to install aftermarket amplifiers and speakers so if you were to upgrade, it would be for additional features and better sound quality. I used my factory radio for over a year before replacing it. I really enjoyed the 6-disc changer. Now I've got one under the front seat...it isn't as easy to swap CDs out but at least I have several options at my fingertips.

as for rear speakers, factory speakers played off of deck power are very efficient and will keepup volume wise witha bout 40% of things at moderate to high levels. They're also actualyl favorable, seeing as you don't have tweeters in them to interfere with your fronts toomuch. WHere do you live? perhaps someone will let you audition what a front-heavy soundstage has to offer.

Back