Anyone had a timing chain failure?

I wish someone had told me that that this clicking was an issue. It sounds like it just needs an oil change. The vehicle reportedly has a lot of engine sludge. Please...please get the best warranty that you can buy for this poorly engineered powertrain. If you read this and don't get a warranty, you will be sorry. Check Edmunds.com at this link http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f1826a6/0

I wish someone had told me that that this clicking was an issue. It sounds like it just needs an oil change. The vehicle reportedly has a lot of engine sludge. Please...please get the best warranty that you can buy for this poorly engineered powertrain. If you read this and don't get a warranty, you will be sorry. Check Edmunds.com at this link http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f1826a6/0

Speak coherently, or gtfo. :)

Doesn't matter how valid your point may be. If you present it like you are not a functioning & competent adult, then your message gets lost in translation.

*O, and engine sludge doesn't simply appear due to poor engineering... It builds up because people are lazy and don't get their oil changed.

I read that timing chain tension uses oil pressure via hydraulics. If one doesn't change oil when advised or uses oil that does not meet the manufactures requirement then bad things can happen. I suspect that some people lie as to their maintenance when they have a problem and expect the manufacture/dealer to eat the cost of repair. That is why we all suffer because of a few bottom feeders.

Ok, sounds like the OP or the previous owner may not have maintained the vehicle properly if there is sludge build up.
However, I thought timing chains weren't supposed to break?
Mazda3's also use a timing chain, are we supposed to assume they aren't supposed to break?

I imagine if the tensioner was not working properly from sludge you could get the chain to skip from too much slack.

That would cause some damage.

-Derrick

lol at the guy that says the engine is not part of the powertrain.

Last edited:
Ok, sounds like the OP or the previous owner may not have maintained the vehicle properly if there is sludge build up.
However, I thought timing chains weren't supposed to break?
Mazda3's also use a timing chain, are we supposed to assume they aren't supposed to break?
no one says timing chains don't break, just that there is no change interval like a timing belt. but, ANYTHING mechanical can break if not maintained properly.
a timing chain will break if it is starved of oil or gets loose.

no one says timing chains don't break, just that there is no change interval like a timing belt. but, ANYTHING mechanical can break if not maintained properly.
a timing chain will break if it is starved of oil or gets loose.

I didn't say they don't break, I said they were not supposed to break.
The question is, should we be proactive in maintaining the chain even though its not supposed to break, or should we just assume it shouldn't break and not worry about it?
Are there any signs that the chain is about to go or that timing is off due to a skipped tooth? I hear they are very hard to get to since they aren't meant to be maintained.
Having a non-interference engine helps as well, but I also read rumours that if you're going fast enough and the timing chain breaks, you can still damage your engine.
Of course this is all assuming proper regular maintenance is being done.

I'm not sure what to believe.

@8.5MS3: Yeah I read that and I thought the guy was smoking crack lol.

I think if I follow the manufactures recommendations that I will have no chain issues for 150,000 miles+. I sleep well and don't fret over the minuscule chance that I will have such a problems.

the timing chain tensioner in mine was bad from the start, I bought the car from sister, but I was the one who took it to the dealer to get all the oil changes, so they had nothing to bite on to in case they wanted to put the repair on my pocket.

This makes me want to vault my oil changes receipts. I do my own oil changes every 3k on the speed and the cx-7.

Mazda has a website that I use to keep track of oil changes etc. I also notice that my dealer adds his maintenance to the list. I also keep my receipts in chronological ordor in a file together with the Mazda site record..

Back