2.5T Cracked Cylinder Head/Leaking Coolant Report to the NHTSA

Mazda recalls over 220,000 cars, including CX-3 and Mazda3, for rear-view camera issue

Who would have thought a flickering or distorted image from rear-view camera would become a safety recall?

So for those who have had cracked cylinder head should definitely file a complaint at NHTSA website. You never know that could become a safety recall, hence the peace of mind for those who have the 2.5T or the 2.5L NA with CD.
I hope Mazda isn't going for the "least costly" options and trying to sweep the other potentially more serious (don't forget $$$) issues under the rug

The cracking cylinder head, leaking coolant, and various engine failures in 2.5T engines are problems that are being reported by owners of the 2016 model year and later. Some are getting their engines replaced both within and outside of their warranty expiration date. While others are not.

If you have experienced any of the engine failures noted on this forum, please report your issues to the NHTSA, as soon as possible. Even if you have had it repaired. This helps the agency with their investigation to affect favorable action, compensation, etc. for consumers.

For your convenience, here is a link that will guide you through the process: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

You can also go to nhtsa.gov, and click the "report a safety problem" box, in the top right corner, and follow the prompts.
Hi, I'm going to do this. My 2018 CX9 is in the shop for this right now and I'm losing my mind.
-The dealer said that the TSB bulletin doesn't mean anything and they can't cover it that way.

-Mazda corporate said that normally the bulletin would cover it but the warranty is up after 5 years and 60k miles

-My AUL extended warranty, which is still active, said they won't covered because they won't cover any damage caused by overheating even though the cracked head causes the leak, which causes the overheating.

Anyone have any success getting this fixed and paid for? Also is this the right way to post this?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, they can and will tell you to pound sand after the warranty period. Keep pushing them to do a good will repair. Post on social media to get their attention. Ask your local news team to do a story. Post complaints in public forums.
Ask them to spilt the cost as the last resort.

Yes, they can and will tell you to pound sand after the warranty period. Keep pushing them to do a good will repair. Post on social media to get their attention. Ask your local news team to do a story. Post complaints in public forums.
Ask them to spilt the cost as the last resort.
Thanks. At the very least my extended warranty should cover it. Won't cover overheating "regardless of cause" even if it's a symptom...that's BS. I also saw a link on here to a class action lawsuit due to this exact issue. I filed with them too.

-My AUL extended warranty, which is still active, said they won't covered because they won't cover any damage caused by overheating even though the cracked head causes the leak, which causes the overheating.
That’s why you never buy any third party extended warranty unless it’s from original manufacture.

Mazda North American Operations seem to be reluctant to assist owners on cracked cylinder head without warranty nowadays. IMO it could be an indication that they can’t afford to do this like in early days with more cases showing up.

Their going to use the same tactic that Subaru did on their blown head gasket engines a few years ago. Ignore it and it will go away

Hi, I'm going to do this. My 2018 CX9 is in the shop for this right now and I'm losing my mind.
-The dealer said that the TSB bulletin doesn't mean anything and they can't cover it that way.

-Mazda corporate said that normally the bulletin would cover it but the warranty is up after 5 years and 60k miles

Anyone have any success getting this fixed and paid for? Also is this the right way to post this?

Thanks in advance.
My reply would be there is no overheat issue related to the crack in the head. Says so in black and white in the tsb. Residual mfg fatigue, bumps in the road.....(a hot/vibrating/heavy turbo installed on 6 splinldy little 8mm studs! )

Thanks in advance.
These warranty companies always have a million ways of getting out of a claim even though they say it covers "everything" (except normal wear and tear/maintenance) when they sell it to you. So infuriating.

These expensive high priced products are not warranties. Federal warranty law gives the consumer a lot of protection. These so-called "extended warranties" are not warranties under law. They are prepaid repair contracts. (If you're lucky) they cover what is listed in the contract fine print IF you do everything that contract fine print requires of you. Contract law gives us some protection, but not as much protection as warranty law. Note that no where in them is the word "warranty" except when they refer to the real factory warranty. Mazda calls theirs a Vehicle Service Agreement. I agree with yrwei, don't get one underwritten by any outfit except the car maker. Don't buy it at all unless you can't sleep at night without it. These things are more of a peace-of-mind thing than a car repair thing.

I hope you posted it I am going to post it on Reddit I want to seriously get this issue fixed
I tried, but I couldn’t figure out how to link the post. If you, or anyone else, knows how to do it, please feel free to link the post there as well. Hopefully it can be helpful to them too.

Kind regards.

Just adding my experience to keep this thread going. Have a 2018 CX-9 with 116,000 mi, car went into Mazda service today after smelling coolant in the garage for a few days. Inspection showed the cracked cylinder head. ~$8,000 repair cost, powertrain warranty expired at 80k.
I submitted the NHTSA report, and will probably sign on to the Sauder|Schelkopf class action investigation.
I'll reach out to Mazda NAO but won't hold my breath on that one.

Thanks in advance.
Your service advisor really screwed you over. Did they speak to your 3rd party warranty company? If so they should have said the right things in order to get this covered even partially. They know how to do this, the fact that they didn't tells you they are not for the customer. When I had the water pump issue on my first gen at 66k the first thing the advisor asked me was did it overheat and I told him no. He said he would deal with the warranty company and he did. At the time mazda was not selling their extended warranty.

Your service advisor really screwed you over. Did they speak to your 3rd party warranty company? If so they should have said the right things in order to get this covered even partially. They know how to do this, the fact that they didn't tells you they are not for the customer. When I had the water pump issue on my first gen at 66k the first thing the advisor asked me was did it overheat and I told him no. He said he would deal with the warranty company and he did. At the time mazda was not selling their extended warranty.
Dealing with 3rd party is worst then pulling teeth and no one got time for that.

Just adding my experience to keep this thread going. Have a 2018 CX-9 with 116,000 mi, car went into Mazda service today after smelling coolant in the garage for a few days. Inspection showed the cracked cylinder head. ~$8,000 repair cost, powertrain warranty expired at 80k.
I submitted the NHTSA report, and will probably sign on to the Sauder|Schelkopf class action investigation.
I'll reach out to Mazda NAO but won't hold my breath on that one.
My 2018 CX-9 has 88k miles and it’s been great. I’m going to send off an oil sample for testing soon. If it comes back with the slightest amount of antifreeze, I’ll be trading my car in so frickin’ fast… and not for another Mazda. If necessary, I would’ve considered a CX-70, but there’s BS going on regarding the release date and size. No thanks.

My 2018 CX-9 has 88k miles and it’s been great. I’m going to send off an oil sample for testing soon. If it comes back with the slightest amount of antifreeze, I’ll be trading my car in so frickin’ fast… and not for another Mazda. If necessary, I would’ve considered a CX-70, but there’s BS going on regarding the release date and size. No thanks.
Ours has been great too, rock solid until just a week ago. Never have had any sorts of problems with it, and my wife treats it nicely.

FYI, It was $179 at our dealership for the "engine test to find the leak". Just thought I'd share for reference. That doesn't "feel" high to me, but then again they are probably just flashlighting their way around the engine looking for fluid/spurts.. 🤷‍♂️ Well, they did probably have to pull the cover off the top of the engine, which takes a few minutes (seconds?). :sneaky:

As a side note, I was impressed with our service advisor, because he actually reached out to Mazda NAO on his own and asked them about a credit. They are chipping in $1k for the repair. Not much, but at least it was something and I didnt have to do anything. Still going to look into the class-action thing though.

If one suspects the leak from the head crack, and the warranty period has passed, especially if one has not been a regular customer for the dealership service...I'd think it would be better to have an independent shop verify the crack. Keep it out of the Mazda computer system. Clean it up, add stop-leak & coolant, trade it in. Mazda has not earned my respect. I'd trade the leaker for another brand of car at a group that owns both this brand and a Mazda store. (My nearest Mazda dealer is 1-1/2 hours away, so an oil change is a half-day endeavor. And, the first oil change they had the car for an hour, then sent the spouse home in it after never touching the oil or filter. I haven't been back.)

Alternately, after repair costs have been refused, add the stop-leak, make a huge lemon sign, and park the car, displaying the giant lemon, in front of the dealership in a legal public parking spot. Post the TSB in a couple of windows. See if that inspires them to find a way to help.

Back