2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

44,000 yeah I have already just kinda accepted that the dealership and Mazda are okay with just not helping. I am just going to let them repossess the car because I do not have another choice. This is terrible timing with car market the way it is thank you for the advice

44,000 yeah I have already just kinda accepted that the dealership and Mazda are okay with just not helping. I am just going to let them repossess the car because I do not have another choice. This is terrible timing with car market the way it is thank you for the advice
I’m not saying this a good solution, but when I fell victim, a guy I worked with said the dealership he used to work for threw K seal in all the engines that were leaking coolant on the lot and then sell them. Don’t know how it works or how long

44,000 yeah I have already just kinda accepted that the dealership and Mazda are okay with just not helping. I am just going to let them repossess the car because I do not have another choice.

Put in cooling system sealant, refill with green Asian-engine coolant, wash off any dried green stuff on the back side of the engine, and trade it in on your choice of used car on that Mazda dealer's lot.

Put in cooling system sealant, refill with green Asian-engine coolant, wash off any dried green stuff on the back side of the engine, and trade it in on your choice of used car on that Mazda dealer's lot.
Can't argue with that advice...a crazy thing happened over COVID, the dealer that I bought my car from in 2021 about a year later offered me MORE THAN I PAID FOR IT on a trade in. Unfortunately, I couldn't take advantage of the offer at the time. Anyway, used car market is pretty nuts these days.

I’m actually going there now to clean the car out and if the engine won’t blown the car would be worth 20K :( which blew me away so idk we shall see but Mazda should of just paid for it

I’m actually going there now to clean the car out and if the engine won’t blown the car would be worth 20K :( which blew me away so idk we shall see but Mazda should of just paid for it
Tell the dealer to button it back up, then clean it up and sell to carmax, carvana, vroom echo Park or one if those places near you. Thet will never know because they rarely inspect but they will warranty it for the next guy if they put it on their lot or online to sell OR they will just send it to auction which is probably what they will do and then everybody's hands are washed

Last edited:
I'm sorry but you DO understand that repossession does NOT affect the dealership or Mazda in any way? All this does is affect your lender who picks up your car and screws your credit for seven years. And if they can't sell the car for enough to cover the loan, they'll come after YOU for the REST.

Mazda and the dealer already HAVE their money. You're not hurting them in the least. I get it. I had a CX-5 that's five years old and needed $7000 worth of work. But repossession only hurts....you.

Indeed, sell it, sell it, sell it, or trade it, trade it, trade it. Carmax gave us $19K for our 2018 CX-5. We paid off the loan and got a RAV4. Yes, three MORE years of car payments, but we're out from under the Mazda. But please, do NOT hurt yourself due to Mazda's fiasco.

Yes I know my family and I have been going over it all. Nobody wants the car :( the most I’ve been offered is 7,000 and I owe 14 before whatever the calculation is for the per diem or whatever. I’m just super screwed and had to learn my lesson the hard way. It’s not really anybody’s fault but mine for not doing more research on the car before purchasing it. I am going to try to sell it for whatever I can get then ask bank to do a payment plan or something for the remainder that is less then what my normal payment is. Then I am just looking for an old Honda or Toyota to use for the next little year .
I'm sorry but you DO understand that repossession does NOT affect the dealership or Mazda in any way? All this does is affect your lender who picks up your car and screws your credit for seven years. And if they can't sell the car for enough to cover the loan, they'll come after YOU for the REST.

Mazda and the dealer already HAVE their money. You're not hurting them in the least. I get it. I had a CX-5 that's five years old and needed $7000 worth of work. But repossession only hurts....you.

Indeed, sell it, sell it, sell it, or trade it, trade it, trade it. Carmax gave us $19K for our 2018 CX-5. We paid off the loan and got a RAV4. Yes, three MORE years of car payments, but we're out from under the Mazda. But please, do NOT hurt yourself due to Mazda's fiasco.

Yes I know my family and I have been going over it all. Nobody wants the car :( the most I’ve been offered is 7,000 and I owe 14 before whatever the calculation is for the per diem or whatever. I’m just super screwed and had to learn my lesson the hard way. It’s not really anybody’s fault but mine for not doing more research on the car before purchasing it. I am going to try to sell it for whatever I can get then ask bank to do a payment plan or something for the remainder that is less then what my normal payment is. Then I am just looking for an old Honda or Toyota to use for the next little year .
Did you hear what we said about taking it to CarMax, carvana, vroom etc etc for an appraisal to sell WITHOUT telling them anything about the car other than if it has ever been in an accident which they will find out. Go online to carmax.com, put in your vin or license plate number and do an online appraisal. Do not say there are engine problems or anything like that, just overall body condition, mileage, tire condition, options, etc. Get that number they offer and take it to their location and pick up the check. What are you waiting for?

No matter WHAT you do, do NOT let it be repossessed! Not only with you lose thousands on the Mazda, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY A DECENT CAR ON CREDIT FOR SEVEN YEARS.

Yes, I am shouting at you!

Do you get this? Please take care of your finances and your family's transportation needs. You do not have to take a major loss on this car when Carvana and Carmax are available.

Last edited:
No matter WHAT you do, do NOT let it be repossessed! Not only with you lose thousands on the Mazda, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY A DECENT CAR ON CREDIT FOR SEVEN YEARS.

Yes, I am shouting at you!

Do you get this? PLEASE answer.
I think we all did what we can at this point. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

I did a small edit, hopefully Mazda_petal will be listening! Once I got the word on my bad head it took precisely 30 seconds of running the numbers before I decided to trade it and did so the next day. There was simply no alternative.

I’m not saying this a good solution, but when I fell victim, a guy I worked with said the dealership he used to work for threw K seal in all the engines that were leaking coolant on the lot and then sell them. Don’t know how it works or how long
Yeah that’s what a couple others have suggested. It was so sad when I went there was 3 other Mazda 9 customers that experienced the same problem :/ that’s like
So wrong. The SA said corporate knows and she cannot believe how they are doing business. One car was a 2021 and had 33,500 miles on it like atleast I got a good couple years out of mine and made memories. The hardest was cleaning out all my summer stuff :(. This is just so incredibly frustrating for me because if it was just me that’s one thing but this is ruining a lot of people and Mazda should be held responsible. It just sucks thank you for the advice though

Indeed! My wife LOVED her CX-5. It was the perfect size, handled wonderfully (FAR better than the RAV4 that replaced it), and was finished off wonderfully inside. But obviously, the thing has to run and be reliable first. My existing 2016 Mazda6 will be the last until this issue is resolved.

⋯ Then I am just looking for an old Honda or Toyota to use for the next little year .
Please don’t consider used Honda vehicles as Honda is NOT like it used to be. I have a 1998 Honda CR-V with 191,776 miles but I’ve given up buying another Honda due to reliability issue in recent years.

How is it that you still owe $14K on a CX-9 with 126K that you've been driving since 44K? Did you do a ton of miles within just 3 or so years? Not meant to be a criticism, it just might help to understand the situation.

Other options exist other than selling. You say your situation would have you settle for an old Honda or Toyota. That would likely cost the same has going ahead with the repair and keeping a much nicer vehicle. And while the repair is a hefty price on a higher mileage vehicle, the CX-9 is otherwise a very sold and reliable car that will serve you well for years to come with a new engine.

The question is how to get the money for the repair. Credit in good shape? Could you get a personal loan or some line of credit to make the repair and just continue paying off the vehicle? You're having to get the same size loan to pay off the difference in selling it vs the loan balance anyway. Even credit cards as a final option to fix it if you think you can pay them down. I personally wouldn't get a loan on something I'm losing to settle an existing loan. Might as well keep a decent vehicle.

Other options exist other than selling. You say your situation would have you settle for an old Honda or Toyota. That would likely cost the same has going ahead with the repair and keeping a much nicer vehicle. And while the repair is a hefty price on a higher mileage vehicle, the CX-9 is otherwise a very sold and reliable car that will serve you well for years to come with a new engine.

That's exactly the same choice we faced with our CX-5. But if Mazda hasn't made upgraded parts available, what's the point? Won't we have the same issues down the road?

Back