Anyone coming up on an oil change?

MazdaTwo

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport (Black)
I just came from the local Advanced Auto parts here in Bel Air, MD. I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up, and I thought I'd give everyone the information. AAP is currently running a Castrol Edge promotion in combination with a Bosche oil filter for $30.

The local store here is carrying the new full synthetic 0W-20 Castrol Edge, so I picked up 5 quarts of that with the Bosche "Distance Plus" oil filter for $33.92 after tax. The filter number is D3300 for anyone who is interested. Regular price on the oil is over $8/qt. and the filter is listed at like $13 (but I think it sells for less) so the total savings on my end was around $27.

Just thought I'd share.

bosch filters are rubbish. Use wix or napa gold (rebadged wix filters). They go for abt $9 in most auto store and abt $7.50 from rockauto.com

actually they run about 7 bucks at oreillys which is the same as bosch but yes the wix is a really good filter.

Ok. So get the wix filter. You'll still save $10 bucks on the oil. Then you can break the Bosch filter open, take some pics, and make a thread backing up why the Bosch filter is "rubbish."

has anyone used mobil 1 oil filters?
Yup, first change was with Mobil 1 (#108 IIRC) then Purolator Gold, now using an OEM filter on my recent change at 15,000 miles

Yup, first change was with Mobil 1 (#108 IIRC) then Purolator Gold, now using an OEM filter on my recent change at 15,000 miles

Wow, 15k? Just when I thought I may have had the most mileage at 11,250, lol.

Anyone know the interval in which to change the oil on the 2? The dealer tells me something different every time. I've heard 5k, 6k, 6.5k, even 7k. I figured I'd ask around here though.

you can change by the oils recommendation...usually synthetic is anywhere from 5-7.5k miles...really depends on your driving habits, aggressive driver,racing,autox,casual ect.

Anyone know the interval in which to change the oil on the 2? The dealer tells me something different every time. I've heard 5k, 6k, 6.5k, even 7k. I figured I'd ask around here though.

The manual states,

Schedule 1, 7.5K or 6 months
Schedule 2, 5K or 4 months

I follow schedule 2

Yeah, I'm at 14,400 ish. That's why I started this thread, shopping around for my 15K oil change.

If Florida is still as hot and humid as I remember, I'd go with a 5K interval. The way the manual reads, it sounds like the 7.5K interval is basically for southern California. Any climate where it is excessively hot, gets very cold, gets dusty, gets really humid, uses salt in the winter (so pretty much anywhere else in the States) the manual calls for the 5K interval.

I went with Amsoil and a Mazda filter, might try Wix next time. Currently coming up on my second oil change, doing it at 5k intervals but plan to switch to 7.5k soon, maybe more. With Amsoil and Wix, should be able to go 10k easy.

7.5K should be fine but if you go more please get a Blackstone analysis done. Seen to many engines torn down with long intervals and it always looks like crap inside.

Oils cheap, engines are not.

This is a Chevy Malibu motor. The owner went for the 20K Amsoil interval and failed.
DSCI0624.jpg

7.5K should be fine but if you go more please get a Blackstone analysis done. Seen to many engines torn down with long intervals and it always looks like crap inside.

Oils cheap, engines are not.

This is a Chevy Malibu motor. The owner went for the 20K Amsoil interval and failed.

Well, the main question is: what filter did they use, and did they replace it between the 20k interval? Most high-quality filters will go 10k miles, but that's it. That's why I'm thinking the 10k interval -- Amsoil will go longer, but the Wix filter will only go to 10k, so if I have to change the filter, might as well change the oil too.

bosch filters are rubbish. Use wix or napa gold (rebadged wix filters). They go for abt $9 in most auto store and abt $7.50 from rockauto.com

So I guess you don't have any data backing up the "bosch filters are rubbish" comment? From what I know about Bosch filters, they were originally a champion labs filter before champion labs switched to their "ecore" design. Now Bosch is using the Purolator design. Neither one of those designs would lead me to call them "rubbish." Actually, to be quite honest, I can't imagine there are many things that would inspire me to use the word "rubbish," but to each his own I guess.

So I guess you don't have any data backing up the "bosch filters are rubbish" comment? From what I know about Bosch filters, they were originally a champion labs filter before champion labs switched to their "ecore" design. Now Bosch is using the Purolator design. Neither one of those designs would lead me to call them "rubbish." Actually, to be quite honest, I can't imagine there are many things that would inspire me to use the word "rubbish," but to each his own I guess.

haha.. u just can't let it go, can u? lol

haven't read up on the latest trends in the fascinating world of oil filters, so my statement was based on the fact that they used the older design in the past. they changed the design, so i was wrong... still, wix is a better design for less $$ :)

haha.. u just can't let it go, can u? lol

haven't read up on the latest trends in the fascinating world of oil filters, so my statement was based on the fact that they used the older design in the past. they changed the design, so i was wrong... still, wix is a better design for less $$ :)

I appreciate the response, and it's not a matter of "not letting it go." I don't read up on trends either, and since you made the comment, I was wondering what would lead someone to call the filter suspect. There was another thread about oil and someone posted a link. That's where I read about the Bosch being good to go, and that's why I came back here for more info. Thanks for replying.

Down is Florida, Advance Auto Parts had a special on Mobil oil with free filter. Just 2 weeks ago, I was able to purchase for $32 five quarts of Mobil One full syn 0-20W and a Mobil 1 M-108 filter. Normally the oil runs $9 per quart plus $12 for the filter. This deal happens quite often. This weekend I'll be doing my second oil change (@7,000 miles - 1st @ 2100 miles). I have used Mobil 1 oils and filters for years without a problem at 5k intervals, except for the 1st oil change which I do at 3k or less.

Years ago I ran the City of Miami light vehicle motor pool (2000 cars) and our research with police cars was that using full syn, 5k intervals did very well. It kept our costs down, no noticeable wear or damage to the motor and saved on the environment. There was an article (Consumer Reports?) back around mid 1990s comparing motor oils using New York City taxis cabs. The issue was to determine at what point do the oils start to breakdown and pose a danger to the engine. All the oils (regular and syn) did well up to around 7.5k miles and that was pushing it. At 3k, it was a waste and 5k was the comfort zone for us giving extended use with minimal risk. As for the filters, unless involved in true racing, they all did generally well so we stayed with the OEM brand.

Last edited:
I appreciate the response, and it's not a matter of "not letting it go." I don't read up on trends either, and since you made the comment, I was wondering what would lead someone to call the filter suspect. There was another thread about oil and someone posted a link. That's where I read about the Bosch being good to go, and that's why I came back here for more info. Thanks for replying.

yeah, i was the one who posted the link :)

I'm at 3,300 miles. Gonna change my oil within a week or so. Figure I'd go with mobil 1 0w-20,any suggestions on filters? I'm planning on intervals of 4 months or 4-5k miles. Is that playing it safe?

Back