Any photographers in here?

So I'm looking to upgrade my equipment and get into the photography business on the side of my regular job. In fact, today is my first engagement photo shoot!

Honestly, I only have a Canon Rebel XS 1000D, kit lens, and 50mm f1.8 (and a crappy Tamron 70-300 that doesn't work half the time). I feel that I have tapped out the quality of this equipment. Sure, it's the photographer and not the equipment that produces stunning photos, but you can only do so much when clients will expect perfection!

So I'm looking at new bodies and lenses. I have some questions about bodies...

The Canon Rebel t4i is very intriguing to me. Video capabilities, touchscreen, etc. But I want a camera body that can shoot in low light with as little noise as possible. So I'm also looking at the 60D, 7D, and 5D Mark II. I am on a tight budget (I would like all of my pro equipment to cost me under $2000--wishlist coming later). Buying used is no issue... I understand it is crop sensor, but how can the newer technology in the t4i not be comparable to some of the "better" old models out there?

My wishlist to start doing wedding photography, senior portraits, etc.

Canon t4i (or 60D, 7D, or maybe 5D Mark II)
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8
Speedlight
My current 50mm f1.8

I just don't want to buy the t4i and it still not be good enough for semi-professionalism. I'm not looking to win any awards, but would like a professional setup! Thanks for the help, I figured I'd ask my questions here first so I don't get my head bitten off my professional photographers on forums who have $10,000 in equipment...

To sum it all up, I wouldn't purchase a 5 year old supercomputer when a brand new basic dell has the same specs for cheaper... does that make sense?

Well...I'd go w/ the 5D Mark II right now. Don't bother with the crop sensors if you're gonna start doing this professionally. I used to shoot with crop sensors all the time but the level of detail between the crop and the full frame sensor is just a big difference. Even the 7D doesn't compare in the level of detail. The pictures just look so different and more alive. The high iso capabilities are also pretty damn good compared to the 7D. The downside between the 5Dmk2 and the 7D is the speed. The 7D autofocus and speed trumps the 5Dmk2, but you get used to it. You're coming from a Rebel and jumping to a 7D or the 5D. You'll notice a huge jump in performance. I shoot bboy competitions with my mk2 and 7D but I still prefer the mk2's picture quality. Since all of my lenses are L series anyways, they get to take advantage of the full frame sensor and you get some killer depth of field.

If you're not partial to Canon, you can also look at used Nikon D700.

As for lenses, think of them as an investment. You drop the dough now, and your future gigs will help to pay them off later. So you might want to increase that budget and invest in some decent glass. You can keep using the 50mm 1.8. It's actually made for a full frame sensor. Get yourself a 17-40L or a 24-105L
and then a speedlight with a diffuser, and you'll be set for a long time.

Well...I'd go w/ the 5D Mark II right now. Don't bother with the crop sensors if you're gonna start doing this professionally. I used to shoot with crop sensors all the time but the level of detail between the crop and the full frame sensor is just a big difference. Even the 7D doesn't compare in the level of detail. The pictures just look so different and more alive. The high iso capabilities are also pretty damn good compared to the 7D. The downside between the 5Dmk2 and the 7D is the speed. The 7D autofocus and speed trumps the 5Dmk2, but you get used to it. You're coming from a Rebel and jumping to a 7D or the 5D. You'll notice a huge jump in performance. I shoot bboy competitions with my mk2 and 7D but I still prefer the mk2's picture quality. Since all of my lenses are L series anyways, they get to take advantage of the full frame sensor and you get some killer depth of field.

If you're not partial to Canon, you can also look at used Nikon D700.

As for lenses, think of them as an investment. You drop the dough now, and your future gigs will help to pay them off later. So you might want to increase that budget and invest in some decent glass. You can keep using the 50mm 1.8. It's actually made for a full frame sensor. Get yourself a 17-40L or a 24-105L
and then a speedlight with a diffuser, and you'll be set for a long time.

Chippy, a used 5D mkII will set you back $1300-1500 and a 17-40 f/4L or 24-105 f/4L will set you back about $600-800 so you'll be right around your budget.

Great info guys, thanks! I'm watching a bunch of 5D MkII on ebay and checking Craigslist. Also, I am keeping an eye out for Nikon D700...

If I have to do a crop sensor, everything I am seeing shows the Nikon D7000 as the best right now. It is also super affordable and could become my "backup" camera if this really takes off. For now, I would rent a backup body.

I do plan on purchasing a lens or two and a speedlight with whatever body I go with, then renting anything else I might need.

I did an engagement shoot this past week, which word of mouth has already led to two contacts inquiring about weddings in 2013. If I can land just a couple events this summer, I'd be so pumped! I don't plan on really buying anything until I have landed a few contracts and have their deposit money... then I could actually increase my budget and take care of everything.

Thanks for all the help, a lot to think about!

I just purchased a D7000 both body and lens for right under $1k. 2 new models just came out making the D7000 cheaper. The new models have much high MPs and are full frame. Not sure on features.

Sony alpha 33 body, with a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 lens. You definitely need a really fast lens if you're going to shoot in an aquarium.
Very nice man! shots are amazing! Yeah I kinda wanted to say either 1.8F or 1.4F. How do you like the 85mm? I just picked up Nikkor 35mm 1.8F lens today. Did some house photos, and already impressed. Time to go out and do some photoshoots.

Thanks! I love it! It's almost always the lens I have attached to my body.
That's awesome! Yeah, I'm starting to develop the same feeling for my 35mm lens now... This is pretty much all I've been using in the past few days lol

few of mine
1st one is of my friend's boxer pup from last August
8352005198_f0b59484bc_b.jpg

My fireplace right after Hurricane Sandy (NJ victims)
8352005122_7f40bf966c_b.jpg

and the next 3 are randoms with the the 35mm 1.8F Nikkor lens that I just picked up

New Year's decorations
8352005080_f58a596d6d_b.jpg

door knob, messing with some blur
8352005060_22aee59016_b.jpg

and this is my mechanic's drum set at his shop. A man of many talents
8350940463_f894a0f967_b.jpg

Not normally a fan of B&W but it looks awesome in that shot.

found a sigma 10-20mm for sale on a bike forum for $300 like new. really close to buying it. only thing stopping me is that I havnt really used my camera in the past month or two, so will it be worth it to get or should i spend it on more bike stuff :D

Did a promo shoot for a hip hop dance instructor. That's James Brown's face spray painted on the back wall.

8392091469_ee621412c1_b.jpg

A couple weeks ago I had my first engagement session. The NE Ohio winter "whiteout" proved to be a challenge I was looking forward to, especially in the skin tone and white balance departments...

This week I have two meetings with clients about shooting their weddings this summer...

^i really think engagement shoots/photos are super silly, but those pictures look great!

picked up the sigma 10-20mm finally last night. found a great deal on a biking forum :D

Back