Any photographers in here?

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

To get me through the next week...

Did an engagement session tonight at about -30C. Frickin cold! He proposed to her as a surprise tonight which was super sweet. I had to be a ninja most of the time. The picture with them kissing was after he proposed so that was posed.

Shot with Canon 5D Mk3, ISO 12800!! I threw some noise reduction on it though but I was still impressed with quality in low light. 70-200 2.8

8299642394_9edb31e239_b.jpg

ISO 6400, 50mm 1.4

8298629691_8f58bfb37c_b.jpg

A friend of mine just got the 5D Mk3 as well, and he said the same thing about the low light quality. Crazy! That and the silent shutter. I haven't had a chance to play with the camera too much yet, unlike his other ones. (1D Mk2, 5D Mk2, 10D)

Funky, that posed shot is lovely! Marc, that first shot is great!

I'm gonna spam some more grand prix photos I finally got to editing a couple of days ago, hope they're not too repetitive (nervous)

Soft Abstract by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Few more from the grand prix:

Glock USGP 2 B&W by R3d Baron, on Flickr

de la Rosa USGP by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Rosberg USGP by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Webber USGP by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Vettel USGP Turn 12 by R3d Baron, on Flickr

DSC03261 by R3d Baron, on Flickr

DSC03033 by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Good stuff! I really wish I had a tripod with me while I was in China.

So I'm looking to upgrade my equipment and get into the photography business on the side of my regular job. In fact, today is my first engagement photo shoot!

Honestly, I only have a Canon Rebel XS 1000D, kit lens, and 50mm f1.8 (and a crappy Tamron 70-300 that doesn't work half the time). I feel that I have tapped out the quality of this equipment. Sure, it's the photographer and not the equipment that produces stunning photos, but you can only do so much when clients will expect perfection!

So I'm looking at new bodies and lenses. I have some questions about bodies...

The Canon Rebel t4i is very intriguing to me. Video capabilities, touchscreen, etc. But I want a camera body that can shoot in low light with as little noise as possible. So I'm also looking at the 60D, 7D, and 5D Mark II. I am on a tight budget (I would like all of my pro equipment to cost me under $2000--wishlist coming later). Buying used is no issue... I understand it is crop sensor, but how can the newer technology in the t4i not be comparable to some of the "better" old models out there?

My wishlist to start doing wedding photography, senior portraits, etc.

Canon t4i (or 60D, 7D, or maybe 5D Mark II)
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8
Speedlight
My current 50mm f1.8

I just don't want to buy the t4i and it still not be good enough for semi-professionalism. I'm not looking to win any awards, but would like a professional setup! Thanks for the help, I figured I'd ask my questions here first so I don't get my head bitten off my professional photographers on forums who have $10,000 in equipment...

To sum it all up, I wouldn't purchase a 5 year old supercomputer when a brand new basic dell has the same specs for cheaper... does that make sense?

I went to Monterey for a Skip Barber MX5 class over the weekend, and what trip to Monterey wouldn't be complete without a trip to the aquarium?

Puffer by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Lonely Jelly - B&W Treatment by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Jelly Bloom - Color Treatment by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Black Sea Nettle - B&W Treatment by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Moon Jellies by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Shooting a Moon Jelly by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Get Me Out by R3d Baron, on Flickr

I See You by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Leopard Shark by R3d Baron, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love that aquarium. Wish I had my camera before I went last September. Aaah well. Nice shots!

Thanks! This is the first time I've been with a camera in hand, and I had a lot of fun shooting there. I definitely want to take a tripod next time though.

So I'm looking to upgrade my equipment and get into the photography business on the side of my regular job. In fact, today is my first engagement photo shoot!

Honestly, I only have a Canon Rebel XS 1000D, kit lens, and 50mm f1.8 (and a crappy Tamron 70-300 that doesn't work half the time). I feel that I have tapped out the quality of this equipment. Sure, it's the photographer and not the equipment that produces stunning photos, but you can only do so much when clients will expect perfection!

So I'm looking at new bodies and lenses. I have some questions about bodies...

The Canon Rebel t4i is very intriguing to me. Video capabilities, touchscreen, etc. But I want a camera body that can shoot in low light with as little noise as possible. So I'm also looking at the 60D, 7D, and 5D Mark II. I am on a tight budget (I would like all of my pro equipment to cost me under $2000--wishlist coming later). Buying used is no issue... I understand it is crop sensor, but how can the newer technology in the t4i not be comparable to some of the "better" old models out there?

My wishlist to start doing wedding photography, senior portraits, etc.

Canon t4i (or 60D, 7D, or maybe 5D Mark II)
Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8
Speedlight
My current 50mm f1.8

I just don't want to buy the t4i and it still not be good enough for semi-professionalism. I'm not looking to win any awards, but would like a professional setup! Thanks for the help, I figured I'd ask my questions here first so I don't get my head bitten off my professional photographers on forums who have $10,000 in equipment...

To sum it all up, I wouldn't purchase a 5 year old supercomputer when a brand new basic dell has the same specs for cheaper... does that make sense?

IMO, if you want to charge people and do this semi-professionally (particularly for weddings) you should step up past the Rebel range of bodies. For weddings you should definitely have at least 2 bodies. If something should happen to your main body for whatever reason you'd be SOL without a backup. I shadowed/assisted several photographers after I graduated and they both carried 3 bodies (I think the 3rd was more to make their lives easier but nevertheless).

I'd go straight to the 5D mkII and keep your current camera as a backup (eventually I'd upgrade the backup too). It's going to produce much better pictures than the T4i even though its a little older... I'd also try and pick up a used Canon 24-70 f/2.8L as this lens will probably see the most use for weddings and portraits. The video capabilities and touchscreen stuff while cool won't improve the pictures for your clients.

I'm guessing that you're probably only going to be able to get the 5D body with a budget of $2k, I'd start there and rent better glass as needed until I could afford it.

BTW, you're welcome to try out my 60D anytime if you'd like.

RedBaron what equipment are you running? Which lens was used for those aquarium photos?

Back