Any photographers in here?

If I'm outdoors, I shoot JPG.

I can bet you 99% of the people in this thread won't be able to spot the difference between a RAW image versus JPG.

One of these is RAW, the other is JPG. You can't really tell the difference.

There are many reasons to shoot RAW, but one of them is not to optimize forumz image quality. When resizing for the forum I toss 96.55% of my pixels into the trash (really, I just calculated it) along with a ton of color data. For the web I agree that JPEG *can* be technically equivalent to JPEG since, of course, both images are actually shown as JPEG.

On the other hand, I print, resize and otherwise manipulate image for various reasons. JPEG does not yeild sufficient per-pixel image data to allow me this freedom with sufficient quality in the end product.

Altspace, what is your intended use for this camera? Will any of your mortgage rely on the quality of its images?

I wish mine did... I really want to start earning money for some of the pictures I take...

If they're good enough I mean.

Let the customer decide. The key, for starters, is finding a niche in the market that you can excel in. For me, its on-location family portraits. That sounds lame but its earning me money (and paying for new gear). As my skills develop I will move into new areas. But for now, I will only solicit work in that one area I know I am better than the rest of the photographers in my area.

Yeah, I guess car and aviation photographers are a dime a dozen...

I need to get better at other stuff, but that's what I'm trying to do by playing around with the 35mm cameras.

There are many reasons to shoot RAW, but one of them is not to optimize forumz image quality. When resizing for the forum I toss 96.55% of my pixels into the trash (really, I just calculated it) along with a ton of color data. For the web I agree that JPEG *can* be technically equivalent to JPEG since, of course, both images are actually shown as JPEG.

You made a statement asking who shoots jpeg so I answered it.

I normally shoot JPEG, just because I do not need the super high quality of RAW and it saves space and allows for a longer burst rate.

I guess I have graduated to a "Pro" photographer since I am getting paid to take pictures of intramural flag football games at night, but that is just minimum wage lol

You made a statement asking who shoots jpeg so I answered it.

You're right, my bad. I was trying to bully the nay-sayers by making the affirmative answer unappealing. My rhetorical powers are useless against the gr!

Seriously though, your work stands on its own: high quality, consistent, interesting, creative. Respect.

Once you get to the point where your camera settings are pretty much spot on (or within +/- 1 exposure), there's little need for RAW images for the majority of web-type images. I have my RAW workflow down to ~ 2 minutes or less per photo but with JPG, my processing time is usually less than 30 seconds. Years ago, it'd take me longer to process a JPG but I guess experience has gotten my settings accurate.

Okay..so lighting info on that photo....

There's a flash on the ground right behind her shooting upwards on the wall.
There's another flash upwards and behind her 45 degrees shooting down straight towards her head with a shoot through umbrella.

So here's another..lighting info, just for you Ed.

Gridded flash up and behind her 45 degrees as a hair light.
Large softbox 45 degrees to her side and in front (camera right)
Reflector on camera left
flash on the floor shooting up towards the wall behind her.

4111566096_9a58c55396_b.jpg

If I'm outdoors, I shoot JPG.

I can bet you 99% of the people in this thread won't be able to spot the difference between a RAW image versus JPG.

One of these is RAW, the other is JPG. You can't really tell the difference.
msm52.jpg

msm51.jpg

Actually, both of those are jpgs.

Thx guys. My use of the camera is only personal. Once in a blue moon I have a client that requires some photography. I'd love to have more but it's just not the case. That's why I think the T1i is a good choice. Both for the step into a DSLR for the first time and having HD video capability. When I bought my Konica Minolta 5-6 years ago it was one of the very few cameras that had the best video capability as well.

The T1i takes amazing pictures... The only thing that it leaves to be desired (from what I have heard) is ergonomics and ease of use. The only thing that the 50d has over it is that it's a bigger beefier body with the ability to adjust every setting while you're looking through the view-finder. The pictures look exactly the same. You'll love it, man!

So here's another..lighting info, just for you Ed.

Gridded flash up and behind her 45 degrees as a hair light.
Large softbox 45 degrees to her side and in front (camera right)
Reflector on camera left
flash on the floor shooting up towards the wall behind her.

4111566096_9a58c55396_b.jpg

Funky, you're the best.

I like the key light placement, especially given the angle of her head and where the shadow line falls on her face. The second light is too far back behind the subject to do much good, but I suspect that is largely caused by her movement during the session. Need to get some VALs for ease of strobe adjustment...

The BG spot is good but could be further to the left of the subject. I'd like to see the very same scene lit without the BG light to see the wall go neutral gray with only the spill from the key light.

Funky, you're the best.

I like the key light placement, especially given the angle of her head and where the shadow line falls on her face. The second light is too far back behind the subject to do much good, but I suspect that is largely caused by her movement during the session. Need to get some VALs for ease of strobe adjustment...

The BG spot is good but could be further to the left of the subject. I'd like to see the very same scene lit without the BG light to see the wall go neutral gray with only the spill from the key light.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THAT MEANS!!!! (blah)(blah)

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THAT MEANS!!!! (blah)(blah)

Key light = large softbox
2nd light = gridded flash
BG = background
VAL = voice activated lightstand (aka person holding a light on a stick)

spill from key light = he wants to see the 3rd flash that's on the floor go away and just use the light from the softbox to light both the subject and the wall behind her so that the wall will be a darker gray.

As for the 2nd flash...it wasn't too far behind. I think it was just through movement and such that the grid wasnt' aimed at her hair anymore. It was meant to light up the hair so that the blacks will have some highlights to show details in the hairstyle. Which I think it did. You can see the braids, and the cross-thatching on the side of her head :)

Here is the setup shot. But imagine the umbrella replaced by a 50 degree HONL grid instead :)

4114315968_52d9c2228a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the description Funky. I want to learn more about external lighting and the techniques behind it. This helps a lot!

Back