Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure! = Oh NOES!

fourthmeal said:
I didn't take it that far. I just checked it with the wrench I had in my hand, the smaller one used to take off the battery box.

However, during an oil change and a reflash, I asked the service writer to check them all. That was the end of the convo because he said they were "all good"

I'd bet my life the dealer never checked it. Or if they did, they simply looked at it. They pulled the same thing with me. I checked mine myself and thankfully it was right around 75 ft/lbs. I remembered having to use a 17mm socket for that bolt though. If you used a small 10mm wrench, unless it was adjustable, it would be too small.

Last edited:
SwampAss said:
I don't think they replaced the engine and transmission. I think they just fixed what was broken. (mount, radiator, fans,)
They replaced the tranny, everything connected to the engine, the shafts, etc. About $8k.

Now I'm worried about it happening again.... :(

oh no another trans mount failure Sorry to hear it forthmeal.. This made me check my trans mount on my MS3 glad I did I found my to be loose approx 20lps. so I removed the bolt from the trans mount, applied loctite, installed the bolt and tighted to 80lbs.

anyone knows if Mazda is looking in to this?

whitey4311 said:
I hope this has been fixed with the newer made MS3's but I guess having bought the 100k bumper to bumper warranty makes me not too worried about this.

I dont abuse my car and dont drive it like I hate it so hopefully all will be well. I get my foot into it every now and then but no hard shifts since I like to care for my things.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it but at any rate hammering the throttle and hard shifts could very well contribute to this.

I would like to know more about this though so keep us posted.

I don't even know where to start with this post. Even if you "hammer the throttle" and make "hard shifts" the engine should still stay in the car. I have seen many instances where people abuse their vehicles because they "don't care for their things" and their cars have stayed in one piece.
Even with a warranty people should still be concerned about this. It's not just a monetary issue but a safety issue.

Hmmmm.......... Besure to find out if the bolt is BACKING OUT, or BREAKING. Backing out can be fixed with trq and locktite. breaking is a problem.

Will do. Since the motor fell out while coasting, clutch in, and during a downshift, I can only assume it was fully backed out. God, it made the most awful noise. I had a nightmare about it last night, too. I imagined it happening on the highway at a good rate of speed, just passing someone then hitting a bump, ...BAM!!...the engine smacked the ground, and dragged me into the center divider...I woke up before the airbag deployed... This s*** can kill people, just as much as a Pinto can explode upon impact... Its the exact same scenario, and I hope that Mazda understands just how upset I am about it. Just fixing the car isn't going to do it for me.

One other thing, what is the specific trq of this bolt? if its 75 then trq to 75. Don't add a little extra to make sure its "tight". i've seen a few failures from OVER-torquing a bolt also.

Its not a good habit to trq to the max and then add a little extra. Hell i blew 2 HG's , running studs, because of this mentality. Now i trq the Head gasket to 80ft lbs and run same boost, no more blown fire rings or water passages.

fourthmeal said:
This s*** can kill people, just as much as a Pinto can explode upon impact... Its the exact same scenario..............

Umm you need to retract that statement. bad news plubicity and bulls*** stories made the "pinto " the exploding car.

Besides i'm thinking of getting one myself for a drag car. II'm thinking my Ford 2.3 and a light pinto mght make a fun 11 sec car.(rockon)

Dig on the pinto all you want i was just messin with you...... :D

though i have had a thought of a 11 sec wood panel Pinto..............

Is there anyway to get Mazda to finally fix this problem once and for all? I mean we can report it to the NHTSA but how long would it take before they strongarm Mazda into doing something? This is getting out of hand.

Friendly Heads UP....I've put pics on the first page of this post. Now you can see what happened for yourself.

The bolt SNAPPED!

fourthmeal said:
Friendly Heads UP....I've put pics on the first page of this post. Now you can see what happened for yourself.

The bolt SNAPPED!
and mount bolt shouldn't "snap" that is a HUGE issue.... mazda def should be doing something about this

RODSCALIP5 said:
Is there anyway to get Mazda to finally fix this problem once and for all? I mean we can report it to the NHTSA but how long would it take before they strongarm Mazda into doing something? This is getting out of hand.

Unfortunately, the only thing we can do is to keep reporting it to the NHTSA. Now make sure you put what happen and what Mazda did to fix it. Eventually what will happen is either it will become a Recall/TSB or someone will legally go after Mazda and I would hate to see that.

Until I viewed the pictures, I had no idea the bolt was vertically positioned. Hmmm not saying I know everything, but having a masters in engineering, I would say there is a design flaw there. Why would they not install a side mount that has the bolt running horizontilly from front to back etc. With that current design the torque/normal flexion of the engine is really pulling on that bolt. WOW! and I have only checked my rear mount. I guess I will be checking this one as well. The problem though is even if you have it torqued correctly, I'm not so sure that would still prevent it from breaking. I would like to know what type of bolt that is. Obviously we need one with much higher tensile strength or a redesigned mount.

Did you know....

That Mazda Customer care (800-222-5500) works from 6 to 4:45, pacific time?

Wow, I didn't. I spent 10 minutes calling a number I DID know (the 24hr tow service by Mazda) to find a this other number, and when I got off the phone w/ that guy, it was 4:48.

Hmmm...

damn man, keep us posted. We need to get a petition together or something to send to mazda. This s*** CAN kill people! I didnt buy this car to putz around. I bought it for the 265hp 280 TQ DAMMIT!

Back