Mazda CX-5, a nightmare!

Hi,
I want to share my frustration with you to calm down a little bit. I purchased a 2020 CX-5 GT in January 2021. At first everything was perfect, but it didn't take long for problems to appear.
I noticed excess engine oil consumption. After some checks, dealer changed the engine. It is covered by warranty. The first engine had less than 50,000 km.

The timing belt rubs against the tensioner, it is almost finished just after a few months of changing the engine. the dealer refuses to admit that when changing the engine the belt was incorrectly installed. I had to pay more than 800$ to change the belt.

Just after that I start to see jumps when changing gears. I had to struggle with the dealer to finally recognize that there was a transmission problem. They ended up changing the transmission. Within a year, the engine and transmission were changed.

After that, the vehicle is slow at low regime. The dealer informed me that I need to change the oxygen sensors. I should pay almost $1000. Sensors of the new engine are defective, I should pay, no warranty on it.
I still drive it, and the vehicle is still slow to start.Now this is the key. The vehicle does not detect the key. To start the vehicle, I really have to stick the key to the START button.
I don't see the point in paying $45,000 for a vehicle and in 3 years you’ll get all the mechanical and electronic problems. I would not recommend the MAZDA CX-5.
I am verry disappointed.

I am verry disappointed.

Your Owner's Manual details exactly what to do when you are unhappy with any aspect of your vehicle. The first step is to contact the dealer. If you're unhappy with the dealer's suggestions, the work they did, the way they are treating you, etc., then you contact Mazda Corporate. Mazda Corporate will the open a ticket on your behalf and begin investigating the issues you've raised with the dealership.

Sorry you're having all of these issues, but it sounds like the dealer is to blame for many of your issues. I believe that everything they said you had to pay for would be covered under your warranty, so I would contact Mazda Corporate will a full description of your experiences and copies of any communications or invoices you have with the dealer.

Probably the serpentine belt. At $800 to replace it though? I don't think so.
Also, the oxygen sensors you mentioned are not part of the engine. They are located in the exhaust system. I doubt they were touched as part of the repairs. Even so, if they are defective, the quote is excessive.

Hi,
I want to share my frustration with you to calm down a little bit. I purchased a 2020 CX-5 GT in January 2021. At first everything was perfect, but it didn't take long for problems to appear.
I noticed excess engine oil consumption. After some checks, dealer changed the engine. It is covered by warranty. The first engine had less than 50,000 km.
Your 2020 CX-5 GT has a 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. Your excessive oil consumption issue could be caused by cracked cylinder head which happens from time to time on the 2.5L NA with CD, hence the engine replacement in early days?

The timing belt rubs against the tensioner, it is almost finished just after a few months of changing the engine. the dealer refuses to admit that when changing the engine the belt was incorrectly installed. I had to pay more than 800$ to change the belt.
Like others have said, there’s no timing belt on Mazda’s any engines. It has to be the serpentine belt and the problematic belt tensioner. Looks like your CX-5 was out of the 36-month / 36,000-mile new car warranty at the time. Of course $800 to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner is excessive.

Just after that I start to see jumps when changing gears. I had to struggle with the dealer to finally recognize that there was a transmission problem. They ended up changing the transmission. Within a year, the engine and transmission were changed.
That’s unfortunate.

After that, the vehicle is slow at low regime. The dealer informed me that I need to change the oxygen sensors. I should pay almost $1000. Sensors of the new engine are defective, I should pay, no warranty on it.
Many emissions control components such as oxygen sensor and fuel fller cap are covered by federal mandated 8-year or 80,000-mile Emission Design and Defect Warranty. So your Mazda dealer lied to you and was trying to rip you off.

I don't see the point in paying $45,000 for a vehicle and in 3 years you’ll get all the mechanical and electronic problems. I would not recommend the MAZDA CX-5.
I am verry disappointed.
You should contact Mazda North American Operations or Mazda Canada to complain, and at least demand them to get oxygen sensors replaced under emission control warranty.

Probably the serpentine belt. At $800 to replace it though? I don't think so.
Also, the oxygen sensors you mentioned are not part of the engine. They are located in the exhaust system. I doubt they were touched as part of the repairs. Even so, if they are defective, the quote is excessive.
I still have a copy of the estimation they did for the sensors. It over 800$. I decided to not change them. I will do it somewhere else this summer.

I still have a copy of the estimation they did for the sensors. It over 800$. I decided to not change them. I will do it somewhere else this summer.
Fir the beslt, I still have the bill, they changed the belt and the tensioner, they charged me around 800$.

Your 2020 CX-5 GT has a 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. Your excessive oil consumption issue could be caused by cracked cylinder head which happens from time to time on the 2.5L NA with CD, hence the engine replacement in early days?

Like others have said, there’s no timing belt on Mazda’s any engines. It has to be the serpentine belt and the problematic belt tensioner. Looks like your CX-5 was out of the 36-month / 36,000-mile new car warranty at the time. Of course $800 to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner is excessive.

That’s unfortunate.

Many emissions control components such as oxygen sensor and fuel fller cap are covered by federal mandated 8-year or 80,000-mile Emission Design and Defect Warranty. So your Mazda dealer lied to you and was trying to rip you off.

You should contact Mazda North American Operations or Mazda Canada to complain, and at least demand them to get oxygen sensors replaced under emission control warranty.
Thank you for the information you gave me. I will send an email to Mazda Canada, and I will see what will be the answer.

I'd sell the car. Every manufacturer makes the occasional lemon, and when you realize you have one it's time to cut your losses. For me in was a 2008 BMW 3 series convertible. After the 11th service visit in 18 months I sold it and bought an Audi, and never regretted the decision. Even if your dealer makes the current problems right, you're always going to be on edge about the next thing to fail. Get a new vehicle that isn't going to be subconsciously nagging at you every time you climb into it.

I'd sell the car. Every manufacturer makes the occasional lemon, and when you realize you have one it's time to cut your losses. For me in was a 2008 BMW 3 series convertible. After the 11th service visit in 18 months I sold it and bought an Audi, and never regretted the decision. Even if your dealer makes the current problems right, you're always going to be on edge about the next thing to fail. Get a new vehicle that isn't going to be subconsciously nagging at you every time you climb into it.
I have the same philosophy like you owning a car. If I had a car like OP’s, I’d get rid of it ASAP. The same is if a car had a major accident, time to let it go after the fix. There’ll be potentially many problems poping up afterwards. The reason? The car dealer or repair shop can’t do the proper fix on any major problems. There will be many side effects after an improper repair.

I usually keep my newly purchased vehicle for as long as I can. My previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX with 2.8L V6 and 5-speed manual was a great car to drive, but it was burning 1 quart of oil per 800 ~ 1,000 miles since new. After VWoA refused to fix it under warranty, I got rid of the car at 55K miles.

I used to be buying vehicles only from Germany because I liked their design and driving feels. I know the reliability won’t be good but I can fix the most problems by myself. I still have a 2000 BMW 528i although driving very little with only 62K miles. OTOH the 1998 Honda CR-V EX AWD is my workhorse with 190K miles.

The oil-burning 2.8L V6 on VW Passat is from Audi. And I’ve heard so many horror stories on Audi. So Audi will never be a candidate for my new vehicle purchases.

I agree. Sell it, quick. Wife and I had similar experience with our Nissan Altima back in the day...drove it into a Honda dealership, traded the nissan in for a Civic. After being plowed into at a four way stop area, we traded Civic for Accord...Now we're gonna get a Preferred Trim CX-5, soon. Doing our research, sat in one on a Sunday when dealership was closed...LOL. Very nice. Will test drive soon. When a car ain't right, it ain't right to keep it...it's not a poodle :)

⋯ Now we're gonna get a Preferred Trim CX-5, soon. Doing our research, sat in one on a Sunday when dealership was closed...LOL. Very nice. Will test drive soon.
Does the CX-5 Preferred Trim come with a naturally aspirated 2.5L with cylinder deactivation? Think again (search the forum) ⋯

2022 CX5 Premium plus NA comes with cyl deactivation. I find it quite good and can barely feel the shift from 4 to 2 and back. I watch it on the screen. Ed

Does the CX-5 Preferred Trim come with a naturally aspirated 2.5L with cylinder deactivation? Think again (search the forum) ⋯
Curious...what percentage of engines did this really effect? All of the NA engines from the last 6 or so years had cylinder deactivation so it's kind of unreasonable to just blanket avoid them.

If the vehicle really meets the Lemon Law criteria then MAZDA will purchase it back for the amount you spent. If it doesn't meet the lemon law then sell it if that will make you whole. Ed

Curious...what percentage of engines did this really effect? All of the NA engines from the last 6 or so years had cylinder deactivation so it's kind of unreasonable to just blanket avoid them.

I personally don't think it's large percentage, but we don't really have any way of knowing for sure because Mazda will never divulge that info willingly. That said, it has happened to enough owners here to be a visible and fairly well-documented issue on our forum. Nobody can really say what percentage will be affected over time, but given the problem area, the suspected issue and cause of the issue, Mazda's current plan of replacing the damaged cylinder heads with the exact same cylinder head, and the out-of-pocket costs to R&R the cylinder head if not covered by warranty, people are more wary.

We could consider how many Mazdas are sold with the 2.5 NA engine, and compare that to the number of reports you see on FB groups, Discord channels, other Mazda forums and our forum. But that doesn't take into account how many of those reports are reposts across multiple platforms. Then there are those who have the issue, but don't use social media or are unaware of the issue. And on top of that, you have a few with an axe to grind who will go out of their way to make fake accounts and post fake reports (has happened here before). Lots of variables to consider.

BTW, not all of the NA engines had cylinder deactivation. Some base trims in Canada did not come with CD in 2018+ CX-5s, and currently MazdaUSA is selling 2.5NA models without CD and i-Stop due to a supply shortage (though they intend to reintroduce these features when supply becomes available again).

Back