Another Mazda5 HID install... (pics)

eek, please don't. although there is some light above the cutoff line, the intensity is MUCH much less than below it. if you're getting high beams flashed at you more than usual, then that may be an indication that something's wrong. otherwise, don't worry about it IMO

theoretically speaking..
it's not that bad.. is it???.(nailbyt)

46689196up4xx1.jpg

theoretically speaking..
it's not that bad.. is it???.
well, it's your car.

I hate to rain on your parade because you helped me out a lot, but I can't honestly sit here and tell you that looks anywhere near good. Total half-ass rigged up solution. Furthermore, the po-po's are probably more likely to give you grief over blocked headlights than unblocked lights with a wee bit of glare.

but well, yeah, it's your car. try it out and if you don't like it, just peel it back and no harm done.

I'd just go back to halogen before I put electrical tape over arguably the most noticeable focal point on the exterior of my car.

well, it's your car.

I hate to rain on your parade because you helped me out a lot, but I can't honestly sit here and tell you that looks anywhere near good. Total half-ass rigged up solution. Furthermore, the po-po's are probably more likely to give you grief over blocked headlights than unblocked lights with a wee bit of glare.

but well, yeah, it's your car. try it out and if you don't like it, just peel it back and no harm done.

I'd just go back to halogen before I put electrical tape over arguably the most noticeable focal point on the exterior of my car.

okay okay.. ^^

you know jandree22.. i was going to buy some aluminun foil tape from Lowes and try it instead of black eletrical tape....
but after reading your comments.. i changed my mind...

Last edited:
If you can find something to block those points that's not so obnoxiously tacky as black electrical tape, go for it and give it a try... obviously just pull it off if no likey. the aluminum tape may blend in with the grayness/silverness colors of the headlamp assembly a lot better.

I know, I know... now I'm telling you to try it :p Seriously, bottom line is it won't hurt to give it a shot. Not my cup of tea, but it's honestly your car so as long as it's aesthetically acceptable by you, that's all that should matter.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could get a pair of eyelids for your 5. They're basically just a decal you place on your headlights for a more aggressive look. If these don't help the glare by themselves, then perhaps you can use some matching tape to extend the coverage down further. It might be tricky to match colors, but just another alternative to consider rather than a rogue strip of tape in the middle of your fixture. Hit up ebay to check them out.

E-MA06M5-A_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Im sure youre probably correct what I was suggesting is that it would be a starting point to extend a strip of tape off of, so its not as obvious to just have a piece of tape right in the middle of the light.

according to my experiement with hands/card board. headlight should be covered at least this much to reduce glare and produce clearer cut off

ema06m5a1mi2.jpg

Sorry for the slow response dreamym5 to answer your question, no I do not have noticeably more glare above the cut-off with the 55w kit. I believe that my headlights are aimed a little bit lower than Jandrees are though. I truly believe that what people are reacting to, and flashing their bright lights at, is the brilliance of the light in the center of the projector when viewed from the opposing lane of traffic. In my car you can clearly see that my actual headlights are nowhere even close to shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic. However; when you stand in my driveway and try to look directly at the headlights themselves (like you were going to take a picture of them) its retina scorching goodness. The small amount of bleed-over you are seeing above the cut-off really shouldn't be enough to cause a problem for other drivers, it certainly isn't enough to make you ugly up your pretty headlights with tape of any sort. If you must make changes, do it the right way and disassemble the headlight, remove the cut-off plate and replace it with a larger one.

Sorry for the slow response dreamym5 to answer your question, no I do not have noticeably more glare above the cut-off with the 55w kit. I believe that my headlights are aimed a little bit lower than Jandrees are though. I truly believe that what people are reacting to, and flashing their bright lights at, is the brilliance of the light in the center of the projector when viewed from the opposing lane of traffic. In my car you can clearly see that my actual headlights are nowhere even close to shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic. However; when you stand in my driveway and try to look directly at the headlights themselves (like you were going to take a picture of them) its retina scorching goodness. The small amount of bleed-over you are seeing above the cut-off really shouldn't be enough to cause a problem for other drivers, it certainly isn't enough to make you ugly up your pretty headlights with tape of any sort. If you must make changes, do it the right way and disassemble the headlight, remove the cut-off plate and replace it with a larger one.
Thanks for your reply..

i've decided to stick with stocky for now.. and later down the road.. plan to pick up some used headlight from junk yard and do some *fun* work..(yes) or get used/junk yeard HID (GT models) headlight and just swap it????

Last edited:
The best thing about the actual headlights out of a GT would be the leveling motors and associated switchgear for the dash. That way when I make one of my famous ten thousand dollar trips to Lowes my headlights won't be signalling aircraft. As far as i know, the cut-off plate is the same in the GT headlights though, so that may not be the fix you're after. Replacing/adjusting the cutoff really isn't that difficult if you already have the headlights out of the car and disassembled. The tough part is gauging the amount of adjustment to make and then testing your work without having to disassemble/reassemble the damn thing ten times.

hum...if the design and cut off plate is the same.. i *must* be the lense IMO

well.. i will just trade in my sport and get GT down the road..(first)

venturing off topic here for a moment, but had to share...

screw 35W x2 of HID @ 4500k, I just picked up 150W x2 of HID @ 10,000K (mwahahaha (upyours)) Got another 54W x4 in fluorescent and 18 LED's to boot.
OuterOrbit1.jpg

it's a new toy for my reef tank (nana)

Back