AMS Mazda Speed 3 Test: The in's and outs of the MS3 powerplant

my car dynoed high cuz i trained her that way !!
kepp up the good work with my car chris and crew !

wow.... Is this really how we treat new members? Especially AMS, a company that is lookng to SUPPORT the Mazda community!?!

Shame on you guys.

Since reading that AMS may jump on board, i almost wanna buy an MS3!

Goodluck with everything guys.

wow i checked in 2 days ago and this thread was going well... i come back and wtf happened???

nice to see kooldino in here to keep things somewhat sane... and nutari tried to get things back on track...

i think its great ams and begi are both making products (along with cobb) and all the power to them... hell i am going to test drive a ms3 in the next couple weeks to just see what i am missing out on... so lets keep this thread on track about the ams group and their products, and any questions about the xede can be made in that thread in the F/I sub forum and as far as the bickering... lets keep it civil as it is going to happen with well ragarded companies coming out with the same type of products...

WOW did this spin out of control.

Chris has made it very clear his intentions in his post. He has repeatedly mentioned that his statement was directed at the dyno chart and or testing methods and NOT a shop or individual. Please leave it at that.

We have no plans on developing any kind of engine management but who knows what the future will hold.

Eric

FWIW I think you AMS guys said what you said in a non biased manner. I saw no mud slinging. Thanks for the research that may have otherwise never taken place.

AMS said:
I sent you an email yesterday regarding this, Still have not received a cal/email or PMl back regarding it.

Eric

Sorry about that Eric...I have not received your e-mail. It may have been mistaken for spam. Please PM me (click to PM) your information as previously requested. Once I have your information including your e-mail address...I will make sure your future e-mails will never be mistaken for spam again.

Thank you.

All I have to say is Chris and AMS know what they are talking about. I know that they have a good reputation in the chicago land area. No poop slinging from them on this forum. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to having you guys dyno and tune my MS3.

To clear things up, AMS never said they would make parts or any ems for the car.

well we have been plugging away at ideas for the MS3. This ECU thing is really putting a big bump in the road. We want to make alot of nice products with the car but untill accessport or another good tuning system comes out its difficult to get real results out of the pieces.

We will continue to fight the good fight for you guys though. It just might take a little longer to get it done.

Eric

Nice, keep up the good work, Hopefully cobb will have success with the ECU. Do you know if there is any truth to what has been posted by XEDE's supporters about mazda being able to read to ECU and recognize that it had been reflashed by a non mazda product, even if you flash it back to stock and unplug the battery to completely reset the ecu. I have no idea what mazda's capabilities are and want a tuning solution that cannot be detected by the dealerships.

dread said:
Nice, keep up the good work, Hopefully cobb will have success with the ECU. Do you know if there is any truth to what has been posted by XEDE's supporters about mazda being able to read to ECU and recognize that it had been reflashed by a non mazda product, even if you flash it back to stock and unplug the battery to completely reset the ecu. I have no idea what mazda's capabilities are and want a tuning solution that cannot be detected by the dealerships.
just because we support XEDE does not mean we don't support COBB's efforts. i for one would really like to see ability to reflash a mazda ECU happen because so many have tried and not succeeded. i've said more than a few times that if any company can do it, COBB can.

i called COBB tech support today to ask some questions about this matter. they said the best bet one has for not being detected is to uninstall the Accessport from the car. they did say it was still possible even with the stock map reflashed back to the car for the dealer equipment to show that it had been flashed. they also said if the Accessport's map was left on the computer, say by accident before going to the dealership, that the dealer would be unable to do its own reflash on the ECU should they decide to do so and would throw an error code.

he did want to emphasize that a technician may not look for these kinds of things when doing warranty work. having worked at a dealership, i can agree with that. in my experience that kind of thing depends on the individual service advisor and individual technician. he did say they "things have been done to the car." but he did not want to say what nor give a release date other than "end of second quarter."

Although a standalone ECU is the best way to go, similar to COBB's offering, it ONLY takes 1 BIT to determine if someone messed with the ECU or not

I am sure Mazda engineers left a watchdog register just for this type of reflashes; heck I have even done that just to determine how many times the EEPROM was changed (in this case ECU reflash) in systems at work

If COBB can't guarantee that the dealer won't find out about this, then the ONLY option for me will be XEDE at this time

I need to make sure my warranty is valid everytime I take it to the dealer

My 2 cents,
Carlos

captain, I did not mean to suggest that you were biased, in fact I have great respect for your knowledge and opinions. I am just looking for as many opinions as possible, considering I don't know much aobut ECU tuning. So if the unit is completely un-married from the ecu, then the dealer should not be able to detect the accessport was ever there. I agree with pololo, that I need to make sure my warranty is valid which is why ecu tuning is so appealing to me. I don't like having to take a bunch of parts out of my car everytime I go to the dealer. If the XEDE ever goes plug and play I will definately consider it.

Pololo_MS3 said:
Although a standalone ECU is the best way to go, similar to COBB's offering, it ONLY takes 1 BIT to determine if someone messed with the ECU or not

I am sure Mazda engineers left a watchdog register just for this type of reflashes; heck I have even done that just to determine how many times the EEPROM was changed (in this case ECU reflash) in systems at work

If COBB can't guarantee that the dealer won't find out about this, then the ONLY option for me will be XEDE at this time

I need to make sure my warranty is valid everytime I take it to the dealer

My 2 cents,
Carlos

when the mazda WDS computer (their huge scan tool) is plugged in it checks to see if the current flash is up to date also checks the version number. So they would be able to see right away. Also if mazda comes out with a flash newer than what Cobb has they will flash the ecu and you will have a stock mazda tune all over again.

Latest posts

Back