alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

No working on the car right now - back is still too fooked to make any type of serious "work" on it.

Another few chiropractor app'ts and I should be ok, but as of right now I can hardly even raise up from laying down man.

got my lines to fit and hold air
now im trying to make the compressor work
the p5 ac wires seem to not supply power
will research some more
and i need a way to test my ac clutch

Well - update time:

The KL-P5 has been running very well for the past few months. I'm extremely happy with the extra "pep" in her step. But - evolution is occuring rather soon.

I just received a few of the next stage build items a few days ago - in which it will give this little ricecooker more bite - to back up the bark.

T3/T4 snail
Vortech 12:1 FMU
MillyS injectors
ebay KLDE hotpipes

To get still:
255lph FP
Intercooler/piping
AF gauge/wideband sensor/weld-in bung
various odds and ins

Just thought I'd give ya'll the update now that I've officially started collecting pieces and parts. I wasn't sure I was goin this route, until I pushed "pay now" and it was too late at that point.....lol.

NICE!!!! I'm looking forward to reading about the build, mate! :)

Thanks man! It's good for me to do some research to ensure I get the right stuff though......almost bought a used turbo that was indeed in good shape - but wayyyyy too big.

how she sits presently:
Houston-20120514-00134.jpg

...looks dirty....I'm still awaiting my chance to start painting it. I was actually thinking some odd color.....like safety orange.....

I've purchased the Dakota Digital SGI-8 interface to use the stock tach in the dash (finally.....ha!), and now I'm looking to finally get the speedo working.

To those that have done the KL swap - was it as simple as plugging in your VSS connector? My P5 is non-ABS, so it has to pull the speed from the VSS. I've never gotten it to work properly - and any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I'm taking a trip in a few weeks to New Braunsfels, TX (about a 3 hour drive one way) and the most I'd like to have is A/C done, a working speedometer, and the tach.

it should be that simple... I haven't read a thread that I remember where the protege didn't have ABS, did Justin's?
It should work, the transmissions are identical, the sensor gear is the same, the only difference will be the tach itself. I think those are pretty universal though.

Where'd u order the SGI-8 from? Thats one thing I still haven't done lol

Justin doesn't have ABS and his KL build thread got deleted. I think he said he needed to install a speedo sensor. I don't have ABS either and will need to research a solution too.

install a speedometer sensor? The VSS?

I looked back through my build pics for a pic of the diff - it had a speedo gear ring on it - I can see it through the hole you mount the VSS in.

I did hook it up for a little bit this evening - and guess what......it worked! The only problem is this - it was wayyyyyyyyy off in calibration. Dunno really, it's got me stumped. Now - to address the A/C before it becomes unbearably hot down here!

Well lets not forget the stock tires on the P5 are 195/50r16 (23.7'' diameter) and the probe/mx6 are 225/50r16 (or thats what my donor had) (24.9'' diameter)

thats a 5% difference. Maybe this would help?

Hmm....I wonder something. Like some previous cars I've had - they had a circuit behind the dash readouts that calibrated/limited the signals to spec. I know the PGT has a similar thing - think it'd be worth looking at or should I just opt for that damn SGI-5 D.D box?

its up to you
if you get the sgi-5 keep it for life

i run 205/40/17 that is a .9% difference

today i was working on some paint and my exhaust will post up pics tomorrow

schweet! With tax money - all bills are paid, wife is happy, kiddos are too......

.....now for me. Finish up collecting parts for the spoolie setup - then..I'm goin to get some sort of bodykit. I found one locally - I don't like the paint, but here is what I was looking at.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2988130213.html

I've talked to him a little - and he wants top dollar for it though, like damn near NEW prices. He states he paid over 800 for the bodykit.....which looks just like a Duraflex B2 kit - which is way less than that. What says you?

Last edited:
Ya you may want the whole thing, not just the front bumper. U on stock wheels still? Idn if its worth buying that kit if he wants that much for an already painted one, if the primered paint ready kit is half as much. Wait is your car black?

car is to be painted soon and have a little different look. I was thinking 2-tone honestly, with orange metallic up top and blue metallic below with a black scallop/zigzag seperating the 2.

Back