ALL Unichip Questions / Problems

Well, good news is that they found nothing wrong with the Unichip. Whether that means it will work in my car or not is another story. I'm going to reinstall it when I receive it in the mail (two or three days from now). Crossing my fingers.

Good luck man, I'll be pullin' for ya!

Yeah, let us know how it turns out. As for me I think I figured out the issue with my Unichip.........THE PG INTAKE MANIFOLD.....maybe without the VTCS and VICS the Unichip doesn't know what to do.....so with the more airflow the jerking was caused by the more fuel being unloaded.......So till i can find a unichip tuner that would tune my car and not a lamborghini within a reasonable distance I am gonna have to do without the Unichip for now(deadhorse

Installed the Unichip

ok so I installed the unichip this afternoon...install went longer then expected, but it went ok. I took it out for boot on the stock setting and map A. The car felt good, a little smoother. Then I swtiched to the high boost settings. I did a couple of pulls in 2nd and 3rd, it boosted to around 14 psi and then went down to about 11psi and just held there. The car felt really strong and I was happy. I then took it out in the evening, it was cooler outside, still on the high boost setting and it spiked to around 16psi and then held at about 13psi. The car started to detonate at this point. My happiness was over.....dang! So I guess it is no more High boost until I get it tuned. From what I read I should be able to get rid of the spike with a good tune?. I just have a SMIC, TB Exhaust and a K&N filter.
I do have some questions though.

1. If I Plan to take out the unichip and send out to get a new map on (not sure if anyone does it here in Canada) can I just take out the unichip module and send it out with out taking out the unichip harness?

2. The wires on the back switches do they have conectors that pop off or do I have to cut the wires when I am ready to mount them on a plate

3. On the map B setting, from what I read this is for higher octane because it increases the timing - not that it matters now -just curious how high octane is this programmed for?

ok so I installed the unichip this afternoon...install went longer then expected, but it went ok. I took it out for boot on the stock setting and map A. The car felt good, a little smoother. Then I swtiched to the high boost settings. I did a couple of pulls in 2nd and 3rd, it boosted to around 14 psi and then went down to about 11psi and just held there. The car felt really strong and I was happy. I then took it out in the evening, it was cooler outside, still on the high boost setting and it spiked to around 16psi and then held at about 13psi. The car started to detonate at this point. My happiness was over.....dang! So I guess it is no more High boost until I get it tuned. From what I read I should be able to get rid of the spike with a good tune?. I just have a SMIC, TB Exhaust and a K&N filter.
I do have some questions though.

1. If I Plan to take out the unichip and send out to get a new map on (not sure if anyone does it here in Canada) can I just take out the unichip module and send it out with out taking out the unichip harness?

2. The wires on the back switches do they have conectors that pop off or do I have to cut the wires when I am ready to mount them on a plate

3. On the map B setting, from what I read this is for higher octane because it increases the timing - not that it matters now -just curious how high octane is this programmed for?

What are you using as a vac source for the EBC? Is your BOV/BPV still T-ed off of that? If so, run it on its own vac source and you will see much tighter boost control.

Ya I hooked it up according to the instructions... so one of the lines is off of the factory tee from the stock bov. The other lines from the solenoid run to the wastegate and the line from the crankcase. Where do you recommend that I run it from?

Thanks

Ya I hooked it up according to the instructions... so one of the lines is off of the factory tee from the stock bov. The other lines from the solenoid run to the wastegate and the line from the crankcase. Where do you recommend that I run it from?

Thanks

Trace the line you have to the EBC solenoid back to where it connects to the intake manifold.

Run a vacuum line from that barb to the EBC solenoid and nothing else. The other end of the EBC goes to the wastegate like you already have it.

Either T off of the brake booster line for the BOV, or put a vacuum manifold in the brake booster line and run whatever else off of that (BOV/BPV, boost guage, etc).

Like this for the vacuum routing - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96534 (sorry, I don't remember who to credit this drawing to)

For the vacuum manifold, either buy one or get the parts to make one like this - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119514&highlight=mcmaster (double check the PN's, a few posts down in the thread someone comments about a different sized manifold).

When I first put my Unichip in I spiked up around 14-15 psi and settled at 11-12 psi. Since running the EBC off a dedicated source, I spike 12 psi and settle 9-10 psi. As a bonus, the BOV doesn't flutter as much now with the new vacuum source either.

3. Race gas. 100octane or higher. do not use that map unless you loooove rebuilding engines!

Didn't even see the other questions, lol.

1 - IIRC, JDM Sam can tune it with just the unit itself, no harness

2 - The wires should have connectors that come off w/out cutting.

3 -
3. Race gas. 100octane or higher. do not use that map unless you loooove rebuilding engines!
- Word

Thanks for the responses

if I were to run 100 octane on Map B and only 10psi, this is still not safe?

So ive been driving with the ebc off with the unichip installed for a while now and been having problems lately. A few days ago i installed rear motor mount inserts. I didnt mess with the any of the vaccum lines. Now its been boosting up to 15psi. Previously before i worked on my car it would spike at 10psi and set at 9 set on stock boost. Idk what to do. I could take off the ebc but i dont remember where all the vac lines go.

So ive been driving with the ebc off with the unichip installed for a while now and been having problems lately. A few days ago i installed rear motor mount inserts. I didnt mess with the any of the vaccum lines. Now its been boosting up to 15psi. Previously before i worked on my car it would spike at 10psi and set at 9 set on stock boost. Idk what to do. I could take off the ebc but i dont remember where all the vac lines go.

if it's the EBC that came with the unichip, turn it back to low boost setting?

Thanks for the responses

if I were to run 100 octane on Map B and only 10psi, this is still not safe?

mm...not sure. Possibly, but i don't wanna give an answer that is mis-informed. when JDM sam tuned my Uni, he was very insistent that i DID NOT ever use map B. It is for 100+octane race gas, and is ONLY supposed to be run at WOT. im not sure what boost levels are covered by it as-is.

Also -- im not so sure about tuning the unichip as a module off the car if you have the 626 intake mani. That changes the system A LOT, and im really not sure you can get a safe or even accurate tune without the car being there. PM JDM Sam and see what he says, if that's who is going to be tuning it. he knows more about it.

With the stock program the Unichip MAP B advances timing under WOT all the way to redline.

1moremph:
You can use map b on yours. I retuned yours to retard timing for you to use in areas with less than 93 octane or for a less aggressive timing when you go WOT.

Actuator could have torn.

1moremph:
You can use map b on yours. I retuned yours to retard timing for you to use in areas with less than 93 octane or for a less aggressive timing when you go WOT.

yea i know, i was just addressing the un-tampered with module.

Anyone know how I could find a unichip tuner in the my area? Today i spiked to 20psi with the boost controller off. Idk whats going on.

Back