All MSP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be replaced by warranty so long as NO chip is visible. Take a ball point pen and trace the line of the crack. If it hesitates anywhere along the line of the crack, it stemmed from a chip and not a stress fracture.

Imissmy3rdgen7 said:
Stress crack X2 (second windshield should be replaced sometime this week)
-Coolant leak around turbo (fixed by replacing hose and using different clamp)
-Alarm freaked on me (had alarm module replaced)
-Hesitation (fixed with flash)
-Clunk, rear (slowly developing)
-Creak, front suspension (only on cold morngings)

Amber
ambertaylorcowart@hotmail.com

I have just noticed this morning, Out of Nowhere! Like a thin crack coming from the top of the windshield? This will be replaced by warranty right?

Had my MSP about 3 weeks & have noticed the following:

Clunk (taking to dealership later this week to get fixed)
Alignment problems (pulls to the right at speed - taking to get fixed)
Odd noises from front suspension when cold (I've noticed it feels kind of squishy along with this - we have the speed bump from hell to get out of my complex & getting over it in the mornings is becoming a real chore now that its getting colder)
hard to engage reverse

Seems a shame Mazda's let the car loose with so many issues straight from the dealer. I still love driving it (why I got it in the first place), but I wish they'd taken the time to put together a package I wasn't going to have to haul back for fixes after less than a month.

At this point, just hoping I don't develop some of the more serious problems that seem to be plaguing other owners that have had their cars for awhile.
:(

- Clunk in the rear suspension
- Rattle and/or vibration comming from sub assembly when cold (not related to sub playing)
- Rust on rotor hubs
- Creaks and sqwish when cold from front suspension
- Hesitation (ECU not yet flashed)

- All weird sounds and rattle (except rear bushings) goes away when the car as ride for a time and warmed up.

My problems, ranked in order of severity (only the top 5 or 6 are a big deal):
1. - Hesitation. Flashed but only saw a small improvement. Car is still faster at 1/2 throttle than WOT. Car ALWAYS pulsates under constant throttle position.

2. - Stumble. If I take a slow 90 degree turn in 3rd or 4th gear, car will almost always "hiccup" or stumble at least once or twice as the RPMs climb -- almost always at 1.7k RPM. This is not normal - it's not the engine bogging, it's just flat out "missing" or stumbling.

3. - Rear suspension clunk (so far fixed with 1000 miles on E bushings).

4. - Coolant leaks. So far 3 different hoses have been "fixed" twice.

5. - Drivetrain "lash" or "lurch" when feathering the throttle at mild speeds or stop-and-go traffic. My 2000 ES even had this problem with the cruise control on!! When the cruise gave it gas, nothing would happen and then all of a sudden, POW, the whole drivetrain would "jump" and then I'd accelerate. Slowing down was the reverse affect - tranny would "jump" and then I'd slow down faster than normal while coasting. It would do this inconsitantly -- some trips it would do it, other times it wouldn't.

6. - Front suspension "crunch". Very loud in winter. Dealer says "it's a high performance car, they will make these noises, nothing I can do." That's BS because only the passenger's side does it for the most part. Rarely the driver's side.

7. - Radio twice "flipped out" and stayed there and wouldn't respond. Each time was "fixed" by not touching it and just shutting off and starting the car back up a few times.

8. - Stress crack in windshield after 1000 miles.
9. - Rear deck makes obscene rattle noise with or without music. Doesn't happen 100% of the time. Usually the worst when cold.
10. - Driver's window squeaks over bumpy roads - again no biggy.
11. - Driver's seat belt "pretensioner"/adjuster makes a "ticking" noise and squeaks. Very minor.
12. - Intermittent rattle noise coming from middle of gauge cluster - can stop it by putting pressure on top of guage cluster/dash. Rattles in general I don't have a problem with because it's almost impossible to design a car that doesn't rattle when it has to deal with the extreme tempurature changes here.
12. - Rusty rotor hubs as I drove off the dealer's lot. They won't paint them so I did myself.

13. - Shifter squeeks while shifting - again very minor. For some reason this went away for the winter. Hopefully it stays away.

14. - Compressor surge from factory. Up for debate whether it could cause a problem though.

15. - Clutch has too much damping. If I release the clutch semi-quickly, the clutch doesn't keep up with my foot. This is not an actual problem, just an annoyance I guess.

boss_hogg@***getridofthis***tznet.com
Thanks,
-Casey

Last edited:
1.- Hesitation...flashed but still not right. Car stumbles and is faster at 1/2 throttle than full throttle.

2.- Rear suspension clunk. Fixed with 156e bushings.

3.- Squeaking front bushing when weather is cold.

4.- Stereo has freaked out on me twice.

5.- Engine vibration is very high and getting worse. So bad it puts my hands to sleep after driving for long distance. 2 dealers have told me it's normal.

6.- Pulls to left. Alignment was checked and was "within factory specs".

7.- Blown right door speaker.

8.- Rattles in both panels on ends of dash.

9.- Left rear body molding came loose, fixed by dealer.

10.- Lights dim every 30-45 seconds when running defroster. Both headlights and dash lights. Was told by dealer "normal for all cars".

11.- Engine rattles and knocks when cold, and valvetrain ticks loudly when hot.

KevinPitta((((remove this)))@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Problems

This is my first post. it seems that there have been a lot of problems with our cars. Does anyone know what Mazda plans to do about them?

My list so far.
hesitation - seems only partly fixed after flash
rattle - the rear deck rattles all the time. I have a rattle in the dash that comes and goes when it wants to.
Front suspension - squeaks more the colder it gets. Problem is I live in Arizona so it never really gets that cold. I feel sorry for those who live up north.

Thats all for now but I have only had the car 6 months. I love the car but I have never had that many problems with any car I ever bought new.

*Clunk from rear sway bar.
*Radio face stuck open once (hasn't happened since).
*Coolant smell from engine bay - no leak discovered and no noticeable loss in coolant level. Smelled this on the demo I drove but figured it was just from repeated beatings - now mine does it. . .
*Delivered with a real slight pull to the right, but dealer said they couldn't detect - I can live with it for now.

Hope my signature isn't huge anymore:)

1. The clunk.
That's it.

Damn Girth you got the asshole of all lemons...
Sucks to be you no offense.;) :p ;)

-squeek
-clunk
-radio wont take cds anymore
-bad coolant smell at all times
-faster at 1/2 throttle than at wot
-reverse can be tricky at times
-damn lsd shaking when braking on uneven surfaces
-rear lip spoiler hanging on by 2 screws(what the hell was mazda thinking with 2 sided tape?)
-i get shocked everytime i get out of the car--may have something to do with the intenna in the rear glass
-rusty ass rotors
-really nasty piston slap or some thing of that nature when first starting in the morning. I know that this cant be good.
-shifter boot stiching comming loose
-i think that is it at least for now

civicguy76@aol.com

Last edited:
* Engine
> Busted engine mounts
> ECU (not flashed yet)
> Very strange stumble at complete random (may be cured w/flash too)

*Transmission
>Clutch slips on occasion
>Gear shifting is pretty iffy some times, I can only shift into reverse every time after months of practice

*Brakes
>Rusy rotors (may have to fix myself very soon)

*Suspension
>Clunk in back during acceleration, or sharp hills (more so when cold)
>Squeaky brushings in front (only when cold)

To date I've had NO stereo problems, or any problems that couldn't be fixed with minor dealership work, but it's very upsetting that out of the 3 new cars I have bought (one of them was a 2002 Protege5!) I've never had so may problems! Every single problem stems from poor quality checking and testing of aftermarket components on Mazda's part and SHOULD be taken care of.

Hesitation - better after flash but still hesitates
Rattle/Clunk in rear - replaced rear suspension links - still rattles
Head Unit has a mind of its own - needs to be re-set all the time (but I am getting very quick at re-programming everything)
Front suspension bushing squeak like crazy when cold
Blown Sub-woofer
Warped rotors - I don't even drive this car hard and the rotors warped (I would hate to see what they look like when someone drives this car like it was meant to be)
Rusty rotors - rotors in general are a piece of garbage!!
Cracked and leaking vacuum lines - all the vacuum lines in this car should be replaced as they are garbage
Electrical system - this cars electrical system couldn't support a motorcycle - never mind stereo, cooling fan, lights, etc. This system should be completly upgraded. A system that has this many surges / slumps in power will only cause premature failure of electrical components such as charging system, control modules, computer, battery, etc.
Paint - I haven't heard of too many people complaining of paint problems but this paint chips so easily and the urathane body parts (spoiler, side skirts, front lip) do not match paint on vehicle. (I'm supprised the dealer didn't try to charge me extra for a 2-tone paint job)
Transmission - shifting gets worst day by day - I wonder how long it will last?

Clunk - is fixed as of now but car is still at dealship so i didn;t drive it yet to verify.

Rust on rotors - i could car less. but if it gets bad enuff all fix
myself

Coolant leak- fixed

All minor problems and other then them, nothing at all..hopefully stays this way!

Dan

Problems that have been taken to the Dealer and Corrected So Far

-Clunk:156E Brushings
-Hesitation: PCM Flash
-Blown Sub x2: Replaced
-Head Unit Died (Smoke was coming out of the face plate itself)- Blown Room Fuse: Replaced HU
-Squeaking Shifter: Lubricated Bruhsings
-Parking Lights Stayed on after Setting alarm: Security Module shorted

Problems still Occuring/ Occured

Creak from Front suspension in Cold Weather
Dead Spots in acceleration remain (Hesitation)
Last Winter while shifting into netural the car stalled

Purchased on 8/5/03.

Issues:

Clunk from rear bushings-- Fixed, E bushings installed.

Creak from front suspension during first 15-20 min of driving every day

Hesitation-- Not so bad anymore.

Rear skirt loose and hanging from a few pieces of tape-- Fixed, dealer retaped, has held for several months.

Rust on brake hubs

Alignment- pulls to the right

Believe sub or right rear speaker blown

Coolant leak

I think that is it. I have not had a chance to go to the dealer because of school, work, holidays.

Thanks,

Aster

Last edited:
-Hesitation - got the flash, mostly fixed
-Clunk - haven't gotten the 156E bushings yet - not documented at the dealer
-Front end squeak when cold - sounds like most vehicles with poly bushings - not documented at dealer

Annoyances, yes, but nothing I would consider huge.

Hesitation - Fixed
Rust on rotors
Front rotors replaced under warr with 4500 on car
Rear deck now buzzes
Coolient(sp) leak -Fixed
FM whine on talk radio with defroster on
Rear clunk - Fixed

Chris Savino
Blue MSP bought in CT

Coolant Leak - Replaced Hose & Clamps
Hessitation - Still have it but not AS bad
Clunk - new "E" Bushing installed... no problem as of yet.
Squeak from Front Bushings - Dealer said Normal
Rust on Rotors (repainted)
Cold Engine Rattle - (yet to be taken in for)...will be taken in next visit
Wind Noise from front window/passenger window - (dealer couldn't identify)
Drivers seat feels loose

Arlan
tarquinioaj@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back