all 4 windows frozen

edwardzik

:
2013 cx5 6m/t
For the second time we had negative temperature today and I was unable to open any window (all 4 frozen)
Never had that problem with my Matrix or any other cars.How about you guys?

Nope. -21C here today and windows work. Was there any rain that may have frozen them to the rubber seals? Or car wash?

I've never had a problem parking the CX-5 at the local ski area this winter although, under the right conditions, every car I've ever used for skiing has exhibited this at least once. It's all a matter of conditions going through temp/humidity favorable for this kind of freezing. Once the interior warms up they will thaw out and work normally. If it's really cold out and you are on the freeway this could take some time. Of course, when it's that cold out I generally don't WANT to roll my windows down.

You can minimize it by not using harsh detergents to wash your car. They can strip the oils from the seals. A good soap for car washing will have oils in it that feed the paint while acting as a surfactant.

I've never had a problem parking the CX-5 at the local ski area this winter although, under the right conditions, every car I've ever used for skiing has exhibited this at least once. It's all a matter of conditions going through temp/humidity favorable for this kind of freezing. Once the interior warms up they will thaw out and work normally. If it's really cold out and you are on the freeway this could take some time. Of course, when it's that cold out I generally don't WANT to roll my windows down.

You can minimize it by not using harsh detergents to wash your car. They can strip the oils from the seals. A good soap for car washing will have oils in it that feed the paint while acting as a surfactant.

What he said. I find my windows are frozen more often that not, but living on the coast, our cold climate tends to be very damp and moisture freezes. Never had a car this hasn't happened to.

Anyone ever tried a silicone spray on the rubber?

Here in Quebec - it does little miracles. I use the one sold for garage doors.

Since I MUST use an access card for the parking lot - I have tried many methods. Silicone spray is the best I have found.

Phratt

Where should the silicone go, the seal on the top, or the one on the bottom? I just got my car Saturday, and had this today, my driver window wouldn't go down.

I would prefer this not happen again.

*Edit* What exactly causes this? My prior car did not have this problem...

Last edited:
Happens all the time in th UK when its below frezing. Ice freezes the glass to the rubber seals. With the amount of rain we are getting at the moment its no surprise.

I live in Connecticut, and park outside. I often have this issue. Looking for a solution. I'll try the silicone spray or maybe armoral on the window seals.

I own 4 different cars, and this happens to all makes and models depending on the weather, and where its parked. The worse by far is my 2005 Cadillac Escalade. Those windows will freeze up even on a slightly cold day. The Mazda's are no where near as bad. Believe me.

at -21 I would never dream of trying the windows!

-16 here and all the carparks are free so people don't wreck their windows to get the tickets at the machine.

at -21 I would never dream of trying the windows!

-16 here and all the carparks are free so people don't wreck their windows to get the tickets at the machine.

Ha Ha! Free parking would never happen in the UK, the Local Authorities and NHS are ripping off the motorist with exorbitant car parking charges. One of my Local Authorities used to have free spaces for hybrid cars below a certain CO2 figure. Used to be free parking on Bank Holidays and a lower charge after 6.00 pm for all cars. Not any more! And then they wonder why town centres are dying......

Jonno21

Back