airbox mod

poonpower

:
2000 Protege LX
I've read somewhere about modding the stock intake to allow a bit more power and better gas mileage. What I want is a indepth description on how to do this with pictures. I still dont know what to cut, and I wanna make sure before cutting anything
THANKS

Well if you keep your stock airbox you will notice more low end tq...then with the aftermarket intake you gain higher end tq.

The stock airbox is built farely well and its almost better to save your money then buy a SRI.

IF you want to get a CAI then it might be worth it to you but i am happy with my stock air box and k&n panel filter.

Thats what I like, I wont be going anywhere fast, just more efficiency and cheapness.
I used to have a CAI, but didnt like the noise, the hassle of changing the filter, and the wasted fuel of ingesting cooler air.

Then go with just a k&n pannel filter part number 33-2134.

Then dont forget to tape up the holes on the snorkel, bottom of the airbox, and resonator with some thick high temp electric tape or something of that sort.

I will be doing the tape tommorow since i have no plans.

Then go with just a k&n pannel filter part number 33-2134.

Then dont forget to tape up the holes on the snorkel, bottom of the airbox, and resonator with some thick high temp electric tape or something of that sort.

I will be doing the tape tommorow since i have no plans.

what will sealing of the holes accomplish?

what will sealing of the holes accomplish?

Two things.
1. The snorkel passes over the radiator. By sealing the snorkel drain holes, ingestion of hot air into the air intake duct is prevented.

2. Since after modification, the air intake is located in a high pressure area, sealing all the drain holes (snorkel, Helmholtz resonator and air box) will help reduce negative pressure in the system by preventing loss of any ram effect due to the forward motion of the vehicle. For a fuller explanation of this process, read the references cited in the thread. Duct tape does an excellent job of sealing the holes, BTW.

Last edited:
Thats what I like, I wont be going anywhere fast, just more efficiency and cheapness.
I used to have a CAI, but didnt like the noise, the hassle of changing the filter, and the wasted fuel of ingesting cooler air.

If you don't want the air intake system to ingest cooler air, don't do this mod. However, I don't see how increasing the density of the intake air in any way wastes fuel. Sure, if the MAF sensor "sees" denser air it will signal the PCM to lengthen the injector pulse to prevent leaning but, in conjunction with the O2 sensor, the correct stoichiometric A/F ratio will still be maintained in closed loop operation. With the slightly extra power available, just backing off on the throttle slightly will maintain the same fuel economy as before.

Actually, if you carry out the full list of mods as detailed, you'll reduce pumping losses in the intake duct and probably slightly increase overall fuel economy.

Canyou guys post pics to see how i can do it, i saw the long thread with pics what i couldnt get it, like i said what will be the best? CAI, SRI, custom??

Thanks!

Canyou guys post pics to see how i can do it, i saw the long thread with pics what i couldnt get it, like i said what will be the best? CAI, SRI, custom??

Thanks!

You pays your money and you takes your choice. In the case of this mod, you don't pay any money, except for some tape.

Then how this mod goes? what changes? pictures please! thx!

Any noticeable Gains/noise??

I'd like to help you out here. I have a complete write-up but on a different forum and I don't know if I'm allowed to reference it here. The last time I tried it, the whole thread was deleted and I wouldn't want to be responsible for the same thing happening again.

Gains: increased throttle response and better acceleration off the line and throughout the rpm range. Nothing dramatic, but definitely noticeable.

Intake noise: a slight but noticeable increase; nothing at all like a SRI or a CAI.

Good then, i only want to hear my muffler, not the intake.. so i read this thread you are talking about, and seriously dude, i didn't understand!

Can you explain it very easu for me with pics? with good details

I'll appreciate it alot!! :D

Today I sealed up my intake i tried taking out the airbox and after unscrewing 3 screws i thought i was done, but there was one more underneath the box so i decided to just leave it in and tape it up that way.

There were 4 holes under the snorkel, 1 in the airbox, and 1 on the hemoltz resonator.

I think thats all of them.

...and i was wondering when goldstar would comment on this thread :)

Last edited:
Today I sealed up my intake i tried taking out the airbox and after unscrewing 3 screws i thought i was done, but there was one more underneath the box so i decided to just leave it in and tape it up that way.

There were 4 holes under the snorkel, 1 in the airbox, and 1 on the hemoltz resonator.

I think thats all of them.

...and i was wondering when goldstar would comment on this thread :)

ok man so which holes i need to put tape on?? the 2 on the front plastic, then the one on the resonator and then the big one on the bottom of the airbox?? then where's the engine going to get air from?? (boom03)

ok man so which holes i need to put tape on?? the 2 on the front plastic, then the one on the resonator and then the big one on the bottom of the airbox?? then where's the engine going to get air from?? (boom03)

Theres four on the snorkel

undo the two bolts holding it down and flip it over..its easy to see the four holes.

use two strips of tape to cover them up.

the engine will be getting air from the entrance of the snorkel still and the hold at the bottom of the airbox has no effect on the airflow cuz it has a big hole on the side closest to your grill.

Last edited:
Theres four on the snorkel

undo the two bolts holding it down and flip it over..its easy to see the four holes.

use two strips of tape to cover them up.

the engine will be getting air from the entrance of the snorkel still and the hold at the bottom of the airbox has no effect on the airflow cuz it has a big hole on the side closest to your grill.

Oh ok now i got it, there are 4 holes under the log plastic thing?? tapethose 4 and thats it??

Back