icspots

Paramagic
:
2012 Mazda 5
Teaser pics

Mirrors.jpg

Mirrors2.jpg

Mirrors3.jpg

I got 'em too. I'm just looking for a free weekend afternoon to do the install. There is a great M3 tutorial...

The Heated mirrors is standard on Canadian 08 GT

They're standard on all US Mz5 GT's also, however they're not available as an option on any other trim levels. My father just bought a '08 touring which doesn't have them...... yet.

The crazy thing is it can be done with full housing replacements for about $200. Dealers could easily offer a heated mirror upgrade for $3-400 to people and make crap loads of money, and nobody would realize how much they were being swindled. Doing it my way is going to cost ~$50.

remarquian said:
I got 'em too. I'm just looking for a free weekend afternoon to do the install. There is a great M3 tutorial...

You mean THIS ONE? I know, I wrote it. ;)

This is one thing I really miss. I have an '08 Touring Ed sans heated mirrors.

Are you replacing just the glass or the entire housing?

Also, where did you purchase these and what was the cost?

Thanks Gents. Just ordered them up. :)

Definitely something that should have come standard on the car. One of my favorite mods to be sure..... of course I later replaced the OEM heated glass (on the 3) with blue tinted wide/angle heated glass. :)

Is the wiring already in the mirror housing, Making this an easy plug in? I've Been wanting to do this to mine but wasn't going to spend $300+! This would be great. (cabpatch)

Is the wiring already in the mirror housing, Making this an easy plug in? I've Been wanting to do this to mine but wasn't going to spend $300+! This would be great. (cabpatch)

The wiring is not present in the mirror housing. If you click on the walkthrough linked about you'll get an idea of what you need to do for this install.

UPDATE: I did the install today on my father's '08 Mz5 touring, and there were several differences between the 3 and the 5. I'll go through those and let you know what I did.

1) The harness plug to the mirror is opposite that of the 3. Meaning the pins are on the car side, and the receivers are on the mirror side. It's super easy to add the pins on the 3, however adding receivers isn't really in the cards without the specific part from the plug, and Mazda doesn't sell those individually. To get around this I literally "got around it"..... I just bypassed the white plug completely, ran the wire out next to the plug and used wire taps to connect to the heater wires on the car side of the plug. The wires you need to use are a black one and a green one..... there are actually two green ones, but it will be the green one next to the black one. If you look inside the plug where the pins are there will be three pins on one side, and two on the other. You want to use the wires associated with the two pins as the three together are for the power mirrors. Since there isn't a lot of room to work with on those wires I pulled the door panel off the inside of the door to give myself more room to work. Plus doing that hid the wire taps on the inside of the panel.

2) The wire routing by the white plug is a little different than the 3, but it's pretty obvious once you're looking at it.

3) If you're doing this in a cold environment let the mirrors/housings warm up for a while inside before trying to remove the glass...... I didn't on the first one and ended up cracking the stock glass. No problems on the other one since it was warm by the time I got to it.

All in all I'm happy with the end results, though of course wish it had come out as "clean" as the install on my 3. If anyone's wanting to add these to their car I recommend it.... honestly I needed the two pieces of glass (~$50), +/- 2' of wire (already had some), four mini female spade connectors (had some), and four wire taps (also had some). If you don't have the additional stuff then it can easily be had for <$10.

Man, I wish I knew about these before we did that group buy. The fitment on the SL mirrors isn't the best or to my liking. OEM every time.

Man, I wish I knew about these before we did that group buy. The fitment on the SL mirrors isn't the best or to my liking. OEM every time.

I actually replaced the OEM heated mirrors on my 3 (that I added :lol:) with speedline mirrors. I didn't know they made them for the 5. A couple of people complained that the fitment was poor, but I've been quite happy with mine.

I actually replaced the OEM heated mirrors on my 3 (that I added :lol:) with speedline mirrors. I didn't know they made them for the 5. A couple of people complained that the fitment was poor, but I've been quite happy with mine.
Yea, they are good mirrors and I like them but the driver's side fitment isn't the best. If you push gently on the upper right corner it moves and the same with the lower left. Even though they are ok on quality, they're nice to have and seem to be holding up so far.

don't forget now that mirrors are done you can purchase GT Mirror covers which are color keyed to your paint color...

Fogs - Wiring is there

Cruise - add switch to brake pedal and steering wheel

don't forget now that mirrors are done you can purchase GT Mirror covers which are color keyed to your paint color...

Fogs - Wiring is there

Cruise - add switch to brake pedal and steering wheel

The touring mirrors in the US are already color-keyed. ;)

Back