adding cruise control

I had CC installed when I bought my Speed. Cost something like $150. The dealer couldn't do it, they sent it to a shop, took about a day. The CC works great and is much cheaper than a ticket.

PJTSpeed, do you know what brand of CC unit they installed?
i would really like to get one soon.

I'm not sure what brand it is... No name or markings on the cruise control stalk. Now that I think about it I think the price was more around $250. Just do a search for cruise control at http://jcwhitney.com What I have looks like the second one on the results page except for it is its own separate stalk.
I'm not sure whether it's a vacuum or electric servo on mine. I haven't even took a look at what they did, no time right now for other mods...
Any place that installs aftermarket accessories i.e. sun roofs, lights, etc... should be able to hook you up or sell you the parts.
I'll post a picture if I get time during lunch.

Last edited:
Here's Pic 1

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 385
PJTSpeed-

What shop in Raleigh did the work? Where did you buy your speed? And welcome to the forum! If you see a black MSP in town, Tinted, w/ red cali's then you know it's me;)

Heathen23-

I'm not sure which shop... the salesman said: "We take 'em to someplace off of Capital Boulevard..." My wife wouldn't let me buy it if it didn't have cruise--problem solved. I bought it at Capital of Cary... You?

would you mind taking a pic of the unit under the hood so i can see where and how they mounted it. i would really appreiciate it .
thanks

I'm not sure which shop... the salesman said: "We take 'em to someplace off of Capital Boulevard..." My wife wouldn't let me buy it if it didn't have cruise--problem solved. I bought it at Capital of Cary... You?

Al Smith Mazda here. I know which shop it went to if it was for CC on capital. I can't think of the name but it's pretty far north on Capital/ US1. I have bought power window units and the like there before. They do so-so work from what I can tell but your CC looks like it will do the job.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of price did you pay for the unit and install through the dealer?

p.s. There is a meet in Greensboro this weekend if you are interested in meeting many mazda owners and seeing there pro's. It's at a park so it should be a good time.

02.5 P5 - I'll see what I can do for you about the underhood picture...

Heathen23 - I'm pretty sure $250 for the parts and install... I had them do it before I took delivery so if warranty issues arrise i can make THEM eat it. Also, outta' town this weekend, can't make the Greensboro thing. Thanks anyways though.

Heathen23 - I'm pretty sure $250 for the parts and install... I had them do it before I took delivery so if warranty issues arrise i can make THEM eat it. Also, outta' town this weekend, can't make the Greensboro thing. Thanks anyways though

That's a very reasonable price if you are happy with the function. Thanks for the input.

No problem about the meet, I just wanted to make sure you knew about it considering it looks to be a good one.

Good thinking on the warranty. I've been there before with aftermarket additions through the dealer and got screwed over.

If you ever want to meet up or have a MSP question that you need someone local for feel free to PM me.

Enjoy your new ride!

Is there a bracket on the steering wheel where you could mount the OEM controls from another Protege or Mazda? I just think the lever style is really ugly and old-school. Like something you'd find on an older Olds.

rostra cc

I had the rostra cc put on my msp. they have a battery powered switch that clips on the side of the steering wheel. Actuator is rostra #250-1223, switch is #250-1588. I had a local shop install it for me so i don't know about the install, but it works just as well as any factory cruise. Dont have a pic of mine, but below is the switch on an insight.

yeah try driving 1200 miles to MN! Didnt the MP3's have CC? They might not have included it for fitment issues or driving issues. Some of my friends running aftermarket turbo kits had to remove theirs, of course it was on different cars.

as I said before... the P5 s*** bolts right on

Stormtrooper77 said:
Is there a bracket on the steering wheel where you could mount the OEM controls from another Protege or Mazda? I just think the lever style is really ugly and old-school. Like something you'd find on an older Olds.

Back