About to pull the trigger on the CX-5 but worried about issues

Wow, that's silly. The 2014.5 model I've put on hold already has that anyways.

I'll go sit in a 2015 just to feel it out, but yea, I think a new 2014 is probably the way to go. Besides, who knows what problems MIGHT arise with the 2015? At least the 2014 issues are known and tolerable!

does your 2014.5 have the tech package? did you compare the price to a 2015?

It doesn't have the tech package. No NAV, but the NAV button is still there - it just doesn't do anything (which I found a bit strange). I'm going this Thursday to sign the lease for the 2014.5, but I will compare price to the 2015 first. Judging from their online prices, the price difference is about $5,000. Which is quite ludicrous. Regardless, I'm sure I can get a better deal on the 2014.5 because of the 2015's being in stock now. I'll update once I return!

Last edited:

Actually, cthew0rld, I have a question for you - you seem to be quite knowledgeable on current/good prices for the CX-5. What would you expect I should pay for the 2014.5 CX-5 Touring AWD in Soul Red? It has Bose/Moonroof package installed and I'm in Northern NJ, which should affect the price slightly I assume.

I don't have the price set, but I'm fairly certain I will get it for under $24K and possibly as low as $23K.

Last edited:
It doesn't have the tech package. No NAV, but the NAV button is still there - it just doesn't do anything (which I found a bit strange). I'm going this Thursday to sign the lease for the 2014.5, but I will compare price to the 2015 first. Judging from their online prices, the price difference is about $5,000. Which is quite ludicrous. Regardless, I'm sure I can get a better deal on the 2014.5 because of the 2015's being in stock now. I'll update once I return!

It has the NAV button because you can buy the Navigation module separately and just plug it in. It replaces the black piece to the left of the steering wheel of the dash with an SD card holder and there's a little module that wires into the pre-existing harness behind it.

thanks, but i just do my research. i usually start with truecar.com, but i also look at kbb, nada and edmunds. prices can vary by area and the research is quick and easy.

i know next to nothing about leases, so i shouldn't specualte. if you are saying there is a $5000 difference between 2014/2015, i would seriously consider the 2014. the only change is the advanced keyless entry is standard on touring and GT

2014 2.5L here

The only problem I have that started recently is the car says voice control stopped when I turn the ignition on lol.

Hey cthew0rld, did you try Kenny Ross? They supposedly undercut anyone's offer. They also have their own FREE lifetime in-house powertrain warranty on every vehicle they sell, regardless of brand. You just have to drive to Irwin for service, which might be a pain depending on where you may live.

I didn't end up getting mine from there, but they seem like a viable option, as yes, as many people as in those "cars go fast" commercials seem to have them. Just like used cars from Blue Knob. Heh...

Hey cthew0rld, did you try Kenny Ross? They supposedly undercut anyone's offer. They also have their own FREE lifetime in-house powertrain warranty on every vehicle they sell, regardless of brand. You just have to drive to Irwin for service, which might be a pain depending on where you may live.

I didn't end up getting mine from there, but they seem like a viable option, as yes, as many people as in those "cars go fast" commercials seem to have them. Just like used cars from Blue Knob. Heh...

yes, i've talked to them. they don't have the 2015 model equipped the way i want, in-stock, yet. they are one of the truecar dealers. they're about 40 miles away.

Cool. Glad you're doing your research, and I commend your patience 62 posts in, haha. I doubt anyone would trade in a '14 for ya, as they're outdated now. Might as well wait for your ideally equipped model. As you probably already noticed, lots are getting in handfuls of '15s now. Shouldn't be long.

Cool. Glad you're doing your research, and I commend your patience 62 posts in, haha. I doubt anyone would trade in a '14 for ya, as they're outdated now. Might as well wait for your ideally equipped model. As you probably already noticed, lots are getting in handfuls of '15s now. Shouldn't be long.

i actually had a deal struck with moon mazda last july. price agreed to, trades agreed, trades cleaned out. when i went to sign the paperwork, the car had 400+ miles on it. i walked out and didn't look back.

Last edited:
Off-topic, but... it's very strange the "miles" on a new car. Some say 50, others even 100 or 200, or more.

My car had 5 kilometers when I got it.

That's... 3 miles.

I got mine at Cochran. Looking at my window sticker, it was a dealer trade from Scranton that had gone through one tank of gas, most likely on I-80/79, including a few test drives. They pretty much subtracted $1 per mile ($400 off for 380 miles), which got it down under invoice, atop the KBB fair price. It has not a scratch or blemish and only has a tiny whistle from the passenger door seal. They also went $1000 over blue book on my trade, which had front end damage (ex-wife) and 70% worn tires.

I hope you Pittsburgh folks have better luck than I did with Mazda dealerships. I bought from Monroeville Mazda in Aug 2013, and they dropped the mazda franchise at the end of December. (They didn't sell the franchise - it actually reverted back to Mazda.)

So, I started doing my service visits at what used to be Baierl (or something like that) Mazda, but that changed to Cochran Mazda (north hills/wexford), and now it looks like Cochran is dropping the franchise as well. They've torn down the showroom building, but claim they still have the franchise working out the VW showroom... Yet, when I ask a non-salesperson directly, I get a very evasive answer on what they are planning to do.

If Cochran disappears, I honestly don't know where I'll end up going for service/repairs... I think the next closest mazda dealership to my home/work is up in Butler.

I hope you Pittsburgh folks have better luck than I did with Mazda dealerships. I bought from Monroeville Mazda in Aug 2013, and they dropped the mazda franchise at the end of December. (They didn't sell the franchise - it actually reverted back to Mazda.)

So, I started doing my service visits at what used to be Baierl (or something like that) Mazda, but that changed to Cochran Mazda (north hills/wexford), and now it looks like Cochran is dropping the franchise as well. They've torn down the showroom building, but claim they still have the franchise working out the VW showroom... Yet, when I ask a non-salesperson directly, I get a very evasive answer on what they are planning to do.

If Cochran disappears, I honestly don't know where I'll end up going for service/repairs... I think the next closest mazda dealership to my home/work is up in Butler.

that monroeville one needed to go out of business. one of the salespeople told to to go f myself when i was in there. hopefully my google review and dealerrating.com reviews put the nail in their coffin. backround: they had a 2014 listed as 'new' on their website. when i drove the 20 miles there it had almost a 1000 miles. turns out it was the finance guy's demo, but since it was never titled they could still sell it as new. we got into a debate about that, and that's when the salesperson came after me.

cochran north mazda used to be billco. cochran bought it less than a year ago.

how much service is your mazda needing?

Last edited:
cochran north mazda used to be billco. cochran bought it less than a year ago.

how much service is your mazda needing?
billco - that's right. I never can remember the name it had for some reason. As for the service visits - I learned from a previous car to visit the dealership for EVERYTHING that isn't right in the first year of ownership. Usually, it's just minor BS. On the other hand, if any of that minor BS turns into a major problem and I've already had a visit (in the first year) for it, it can be considered a continuing issue and less of a hassle to get repaired. In the CX-5 case, I can usually combine those visits with the head-unit visits...

As for the head unit visits... I try to visit the dealership at least once every 2 months to complain about it. I know the dealership can't do anything about it, and the dealership knows that I know they can't do anything about it. (I even had a long chat with the service director about it.) However, if Mazda waits too much longer to actually make an effort to repair the issue, I want to have a nice thick stack of repair orders demonstrating that I was continuously unhappy about the issue, attempted repair MANY times, etc, etc.

Wow, Pittsburgh is just bad news for Mazdas. Heh. I really wouldn't recommend Cochran to anyone right now, considering they don't even have a showroom. They said they're building the new Lexus showroom next to VW. Does that mean Mazda will ever get one? Who knows... My salesman didn't even have an office. Looked like he had a desk in a converted breakroom. And he wasn't even a new guy. As for reviews of the facility and people, a quick search will get you some recommendations on who to deal with. I got Jamie, who was rather non-chalant and careless. In contrast, Ken does fast laps around the building in sub-freezing temps to keep himself occupied, so might as well put him to work for you!

I only went there because I had a few days off work and wanted to take advantage of their $1000 over trade deal and get out from under the loan on my 2012 Terrain that was 6% APR, co-financed with my ex-wife and had $2000 worth of fender benders from her. Even with, I got "very good" blue book whereas I could've been docked more.

As for service, I'd recommend pestering Kenny Ross about their lifetime power train thing, as by then there might not be anywhere else to go for service. Or at least trade in there after 60K.

Either way, you guys seem to care about the car buying experience more than I do, so more power to ya. I've noticed the driver HID shakes a bit over hard bumps, and that side mirror vibrates slightly at highway speed. Also there is the reported wheel balance issue at 60-80mph when coasting. Someone will be hearing about it before the first oil change, provided I don't press on or tighten something and cure it.

Finally!

Finally got it! My Soul Red 2014.5 CX-5 Touring with Bose/Moonroof package is safely parked in my garage! For those in New Jersey - NEVER go to Sansone Auto. They are a (more than usual) shady bunch of bad-tempered a-holes. I wound up going to Wayne Mazda, spent 75% less time working out a deal and still wound up paying $2,000 less than at Sansone. I will post the price/pic in the Price thread, but before TTL the price I negotiated at Wayne Mazda was $24,671.

Here's a terrible shot of my car. I just got it and it was raining so I didn't get a good shot before parking it:

My CX-5.JPG

I have a 2014.5 GT AWD with tech package, (traded up from the 2014 touring model just because of the options on the GT). Had no major problems with the cars. Live in the cold Northeast of US having 40 inches of snow here this winter, no heating problems at all. I find letting the heated seats warm the car up before the engine full is warm helps. Once the engine has warmed, then turn the heater/ defroster on. Currently getting 39.4 MPG -includes stop and go traffic. No complaints here! It's a fun car to drive!

Back