About to pull the trigger on the CX-5 but worried about issues

20,000 miles on mine. The drivers side A pillar has rattled from day one and I'm too lazy to fix it. Same thing happened in my sport and I just stuffed a piece of tape behind it. There is as squeaking noise that comes from the engine compartment when going over bumps that the dealer can't replicate. When I let off the throttle at highway speeds I get this weird beep, beep noise every time. There is this whistling noise when accelerating that sounds like the intake system making it. This vehicle in my opinion has high engine and road noise. The audio system sound quality is below par and muddy sounding.

Ok so the good. The 2.5 liter engine is strong for this class and I get consistent 30-33 mpg mostly highway winter-summer in that order. The steering and brakes are the best in feel and this transmission is the best automatic I have experienced to date. The handling is as good as it can be for an SUV, which is top for the class and price range, but don't confuse it with a sports car. The exterior looks are sporty, the interior is well made and simple and mature. Despite the few cons listed above I still like driving my Mazda every day.

3500 trouble free miles. We had -25 F this year with no icing issues. Really only needed to use the defrosters a few times, and they worked fast. No rattles even at -25. No complains at all except for the usual info troubles. ( iPod USB ) restart. I did not by this car or any car for info system. Info system is just a perk. In the case of CX 5 not a very good perk.

Wow you guys are experiencing much colder temps than I will here in Jersey, so I guess that issue is really very minimal.

I know the main CX-5 competitors are the Rav 4 and CR-V, but I'm not terribly interested in those. I was considering a few different jeeps, but not after what cthew0rld said above!

Does anyone have experience with a Subaru XV Crosstrek? It's a little smaller than the CX-5 but it seems like a pretty good car for the money.

I'm approaching the 1 year mark and recently passed 15,000 miles on my 2014 2.5L CX-5 Touring. I am very happy with my CX-5, I average right around 29-30 mpg in normal suburban mixed driving and bump up to 32-33 on extended stretches of freeway driving. Oil changes are very easy on this car as the filter and drain plug are right next to each other and the filter faces down. All the oil drops into the same pan, no collateral mess to clean up and the new filter can be pre-filled with oil to minimize the delay between starting and oil pressure returning.

I have 3 minor issues that I will share with the dealer the next time I have a reason to stop in. There is a tiny nick in the vinyl wrap in the shifter knob, and tiny amount "play" between the drivers door armrest/handle and door itself. And there is a slight buzz at times coming from the passenger side rear corner that I haven't tracked down. It may be related to the car, or my stuff, I haven't narrowed it down yet.

I live in the Seattle area, so it is commonly very wet, but only occasionally below freezing. I have noticed a few times that when restarting the car on very humid/rainy days that the initial blast of air from the defroster has a lot of moisture in it and it briefly fogs the windshield until the dehumidification effect catches up. If it were below freezing when this happened, I suspect it would be more annoying and take longer to clear. I don't normally see it on cold starts, most commonly on restarts after being parked for a while.

The main thing I use in the Infotainment system is the Bluetooth integration and Pandora, both of which work very well for me with my iPhone.

Last edited:
I've had mine for almost a year. I use bluetooth so the headunit issues don't affect me much. I only have 3 minor issues to be taken care of. The hood makes an audible vibration in warm weather under hard acceleration, there's an occasional squeak when one of the rear doors unlocks and I hear an occasional strut squeak.

The strut and hood have TSB's and the door lock probably just needs some lubricant.

My parents have a brand new acura RLX that's been in the shop several times and has a recall on its suspension for improperly tightened bolts. I'd say I'm pretty happy with Mazda, they rarely have major problems.

Wow you guys are experiencing much colder temps than I will here in Jersey, so I guess that issue is really very minimal.

I know the main CX-5 competitors are the Rav 4 and CR-V, but I'm not terribly interested in those. I was considering a few different jeeps, but not after what cthew0rld said above!

Does anyone have experience with a Subaru XV Crosstrek? It's a little smaller than the CX-5 but it seems like a pretty good car for the money.

I actually tested the XV and the Outback. The XV is ugly and slow. The AWD system (on the Manual) is fantastic but the car just felt cheap. The Outback only costs a little bit more money and is a better car. It feels much bigger than the CX-5 but drives very nicely. I personally just liked the feel of the Mazda more. Everything just felt better.

http://www.winstonmoy.com/2013/10/everything-wrong-with-the-2014-mazda-cx-5/

I'm not concerned with most of the issues in the article, but I am concerned about the moisture/frost issue on the inside of the windshield. And a lot of the issues mentioned in the comments section are scaring me too.

Some of the comments on that site is like reading reviews from Amazon or Yelp:

"-doors open weird."
"- there is a plastic something on the bottom of every door which my son will break off as soon as he will be able to get out of the car by himself."
"- Snapping the sun visor our of its holder is difficult and sounds like Im about to break it. I didnt. Yet."

(bang)

I think anyone considering the purchase of a Mazda right now should not only consider what they'll know about driving home, but how Mazda will deal with any issues that might come up in the future. For that, take a look on Mazda's reaction to the so-called infotainment system.

The 2013 CX-9 has the exact same problems as the 2014 and 2014.5 CX-5, AND the 2014 Mazda6. For at least a year, Mazda has been aware of problems with this head unit. There has not been a single fix made available. In some/many cases, they even admit that there's a problem - and suggest that an "update will be made available soon." Yet, there's been no update. Mazda also has refused to pay for a replacement head unit (without a lawsuit.)

Just because those issues might not impact you directly, they do show how the manufacturer deals with issues. (Or how they don't.) If they neglect the infotainment issues, it seems that they'd be just as likely to neglect issues with windows, A/C, heater, or any aspect of the car that's not strictly "safety" related. The point is that Mazda is knowingly refusing to fix issues in a timely manner. A vehicle is a major investment, and part of that investment is an assurance that the manufacturer will resolve any issues. In this, Mazda has failed.

Reading reviews on websites and forums is always a mixed bag usually leaning toward the negative, since most people don't go through the process of posting about something unless they have an issue and are looking for someone who can relate/offer advice. If everyone took the time to post positive reviews and experiences on things, well, the internet would be a much different place, wouldn't it?

I had to remind myself of that concept a few times during the first few weeks of owning my CX-5. Started having annoyances and issues, started second guessing my purchase. I've been meaning to write a post describing my falling in, out, and back in love with the car. Maybe my over analyzing experience could help someone with similar concerns. 4,000 miles in and I couldn't be happier.

I actually tested the XV and the Outback. The XV is ugly and slow. The AWD system (on the Manual) is fantastic but the car just felt cheap. The Outback only costs a little bit more money and is a better car. It feels much bigger than the CX-5 but drives very nicely. I personally just liked the feel of the Mazda more. Everything just felt better.

i test drove the outback 3.6 limited. it is a bit more expensive, but it does have a v6. i test drove the 4 cylinder, it felt very under-powered. the car felt very sturdy and was nice to drive. it is still in the running for me.

I think anyone considering the purchase of a Mazda right now should not only consider what they'll know about driving home, but how Mazda will deal with any issues that might come up in the future. For that, take a look on Mazda's reaction to the so-called infotainment system.

The 2013 CX-9 has the exact same problems as the 2014 and 2014.5 CX-5, AND the 2014 Mazda6. For at least a year, Mazda has been aware of problems with this head unit. There has not been a single fix made available. In some/many cases, they even admit that there's a problem - and suggest that an "update will be made available soon." Yet, there's been no update. Mazda also has refused to pay for a replacement head unit (without a lawsuit.)

Just because those issues might not impact you directly, they do show how the manufacturer deals with issues. (Or how they don't.) If they neglect the infotainment issues, it seems that they'd be just as likely to neglect issues with windows, A/C, heater, or any aspect of the car that's not strictly "safety" related. The point is that Mazda is knowingly refusing to fix issues in a timely manner. A vehicle is a major investment, and part of that investment is an assurance that the manufacturer will resolve any issues. In this, Mazda has failed.

all true. there is no excuse to ignore this problem.

i test drove the outback 3.6 limited. it is a bit more expensive, but it does have a v6. i test drove the 4 cylinder, it felt very under-powered. the car felt very sturdy and was nice to drive. it is still in the running for me.

The 3.6 also doesn't use the CVT but the 5-speed. That is a huge difference (to me at least because I found the Subaru CVT really bad.)

all true. there is no excuse to ignore this problem.

But honestly, when you look at Toyota or GM, where there problems were KILLING people, they ignored it!

For most people, I bet the head unit is not a huge issue. I have used the BT to stream Pandora, play my iTunes library and make and receive calls. For me, it works great. Could it be better, sure. But I bought a car, not a radio.

But honestly, when you look at Toyota or GM, where there problems were KILLING people, they ignored it!

For most people, I bet the head unit is not a huge issue. I have used the BT to stream Pandora, play my iTunes library and make and receive calls. For me, it works great. Could it be better, sure. But I bought a car, not a radio.
The point isn't about just the head unit. It's about the response from Mazda. Anyone purchasing a Mazda vehicle should be aware that the manufacturer warranty might be useless for non-safety issues, as the manufacturer is refusing to fix obvious issues. Yes, other manufacturers do the exact same thing. In the case of safety issues, the manufacturer will often refuse to even acknowledge the issue.

A person buying a new car might be concerned about the warranty. IF they are, they should consider that some manufacturer's are better about fixing things than others. Instead of looking to see what problems people are having with a vehicle, and deciding if you can live with those specific defects, I'm suggesting that it's better for people to research how a manufacturer responds to the problems. If you have a car with only minor (to you) issues, but the manufacturer refuses to fix them, that might be worse than a manufacturer who has a higher rate of defects, but is prompt in resolving them. The former is broken. The latter isn't.

Remember that there's no vehicle model in existence that is perfect. Every model has had some vehicles roll off the assembly lines with issues. That's why we have a warranty. The difference is in how the warranty is honored. Today it's a flaky head unit. Tomorrow, the motor in a power window dies. The next day, perhaps the A/C compressor stops working.

Oh, I'm not saying Toyota or GM were any better in the past. On the other hand, Toyota and GM will be much better in the next few years, simply because they are being watched carefully by various safety groups.

Finally, in response to a common statement I keep seeing: "I bought a car, not a radio." -- yes. However, if I JUST wanted a car, I would have bought a base trim.

Take care
Gary

Last edited:
If you have a car with only minor (to you) issues, but the manufacturer refuses to fix them, that might be worse than a manufacturer who has a higher rate of defects, but is prompt in resolving them. The former is broken. The latter isn't.

I disagree with this. Every single person that I know that had to visit a dealership every month to fix something on their brand new car ended up hating the manufacturer to the point that they would never buy a car from that company again.

I am coming up on 4 weeks of owning my 2014 CX-5 GT. I certainly understand and share the frustrations with some of the issues with the car. Having said that, I feel fairly comfortable that Mazda will address them all, although not as fast as any of us would like!

I am coming from an 04 RX-8 which, many of you know, had a host of issues during its early years. Things that I recall being fixed include new starter, new battery, new catalytic converter, new engine, new console lid, I stopped counting check engine lights at 15. The point is that Mazda stood behind it, even to the point of extending the power train warranty. Remember that this was during the time that Mazda was in bed with Ford. I suspect the situation is better now.

Remember that this was during the time that Mazda was in bed with Ford. I suspect the situation is better now.

Not so sure about that.

I know this a Mazda enthusiasts forum, which is why we are all here. I don't think everyone here appreciates that Ford sustained Mazda though some very dark years. Many auto analysts even think Mazda owes its existence to Ford, definitely Mazda's North American presence. They had some bad financials a couple of years ago, and as this Car & Driver article from last summer suggests, they may need some additional help: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/doom-doom-why-mazda-needs-a-savior-feature

I disagree with this. Every single person that I know that had to visit a dealership every month to fix something on their brand new car ended up hating the manufacturer to the point that they would never buy a car from that company again.
You've only addressed half of the statement. Granted, people who have had to visit a dealership every month would be unhappy. The unanswered question is if each issue was resolved or not. Are they visiting the dealership every month for the EXACT SAME PROBLEM over and over?

Which of these are worse:

Buy a new car, and visit the dealership 6 times over 6 months, each time with yet another issue (but each of the issues are addressed and resolved.)
-- or --
Buy a new car, and visit the dealership an infinite number of times over any time period, all for 1 or 2 issues which NEVER get resolved.

I am coming up on 4 weeks of owning my 2014 CX-5 GT. I certainly understand and share the frustrations with some of the issues with the car. Having said that, I feel fairly comfortable that Mazda will address them all, although not as fast as any of us would like!
I used to feel that way based on my previous Mazda vehicle experiences (97 mazda2, 2000 mazda mpv.) You might be able to search this forum and find my cheerful text saying almost exactly the same thing. However, as time has gone on, I'm much less confident. The defects have remained, I've seen NO fix or even attempted fixes, and Mazda is continuing to use the same faulty equipment in a mid-year refresh. These are defects they've known about for a year now.

However, my point wasn't to argue with existing Mazda owners. The point was to reply to the original poster that they should take into consideration the fact that Mazda is currently ignoring (and has been ignoring for at least a year) known defects with the vehicle. I even specified that they are ignoring non-safety related issues, to separate Mazda from the GM/Toyota drama. This inaction by Mazda is certainly a valid concern for most people considering the purchase of a vehicle. After all, if the manufacturer is refusing to fix defects, then it dramatically decreases the value of a new car warranty, and should warn a potential customer.

The point isn't about just the head unit. It's about the response from Mazda. Anyone purchasing a Mazda vehicle should be aware that the manufacturer warranty might be useless for non-safety issues, as the manufacturer is refusing to fix obvious issues. Yes, other manufacturers do the exact same thing. In the case of safety issues, the manufacturer will often refuse to even acknowledge the issue.

A person buying a new car might be concerned about the warranty. IF they are, they should consider that some manufacturer's are better about fixing things than others. Instead of looking to see what problems people are having with a vehicle, and deciding if you can live with those specific defects, I'm suggesting that it's better for people to research how a manufacturer responds to the problems. If you have a car with only minor (to you) issues, but the manufacturer refuses to fix them, that might be worse than a manufacturer who has a higher rate of defects, but is prompt in resolving them. The former is broken. The latter isn't.

Remember that there's no vehicle model in existence that is perfect. Every model has had some vehicles roll off the assembly lines with issues. That's why we have a warranty. The difference is in how the warranty is honored. Today it's a flaky head unit. Tomorrow, the motor in a power window dies. The next day, perhaps the A/C compressor stops working.

Oh, I'm not saying Toyota or GM were any better in the past. On the other hand, Toyota and GM will be much better in the next few years, simply because they are being watched carefully by various safety groups.

Finally, in response to a common statement I keep seeing: "I bought a car, not a radio." -- yes. However, if I JUST wanted a car, I would have bought a base trim.

Take care
Gary

The thing is, I don't know if this is a warranty issue or not. Yes, the head unit does not work as well I would like, but that does not mean it is broken.

But I agree with you, a person should be aware that the audio system and how it hooks up to your music player, is not the best system out there. At the same time, there are many other negatives of the car that could influence our purchase, that in my mind, are much more annoying than the head unit!

Last edited:
I don't think the point is not that it "is not the best system out there", I think the point is that it does not work as advertised. It is not just the USB issues but also the SMS ("texting") functions that do not work as advertised.

I purchased the vehicle, based on what was advertised and promised and Mazda has not delivered on that promise. Don't get me wrong, I love the vehicle but the head unit issues leave a bad taste in my mouth and with a feeling of being taken advantage of.

They've known of these issues for about a year and there has been no concrete indication, that I know of, from Mazda that they will address the problems.

Just how deficient would it need to be for you to deem it "broken"? If only the AM, FM radio worked with no Bluetooth or CD function, would that constitute "broken" to you? Where do you draw the line? I think it comes down to 'works as advertised' or 'doesn't work'.

In order to maintain and retain the goodwill Mazda has generated through its recent production of really nice vehicles, I think it must do something to address these head unit issues that are plaguing a pretty significant part of its model lineup (CX-5, Mazda 6, CX-9), before it starts affecting their bottom line. Apparently, they have already lost sales due to concerns about these issues and when it comes time to replace their current Mazda, how many will leave Mazda and choose to buy from a vendor who honours their commitment, supports their product and values their customer.

Consumers are a fickle bunch.

Sorry for the diatribe. I really love the car but the head unit problems really piss me off (in case it wasn't already obvious).

Last edited:
Back