626 manifold quetsion....yet another thread

orangeade said:
anyone have the mazda part # for these things....i haven't tried the junk yards but want to check and see if they would even be available w/out the butterflies in canada.....if not only option may be out of the U.S.
FS1G 13 100

oh yeah
this weekend i'll be getting the mani from the junkyard and have a test fit on my friends speed...

this will be done and everything would be posted here
keep subscribed

yea yea
me too
so, lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that the manifold works
of course, i wish we could do dyno comparisons with both Ken's manifold, Stock Manifold and Alejo's manifold

i am suprised nobody has mentioned this yet but the older manifolds from what i can tell actually have smaller ports and runners. It will bolt up but i had a 97 626 mani in my possesion for a bit and the runner port was definatly smaller and no it did not have any butterflys. I got in on ken's original group buy over on another forum and for the price i spent i would do it again as this definatly made a difference.

Also as for the EGR i dont understand where it would reduce pinging and detonation the EGR DOES NOT work at WOT or idleing only at cruising speeds and what you would be doing at cruising speeds to initiate pinging is beyond me. The EGR is purely a emmisions device and alot of older cars do not come with them at all. My old SHO did not have one but because of the tight asses in the CA government wanted stricter regulation only the CA version SHO had a EGR.

so, they don't match up?
is that what you r saying??

give more details as to why it didn't match up...

did the bolts match up?
we basically share the same head the others except for the hole for the distribuitor is tpped..

it is basically the same head as some 97 626's that used distribuitorless ignitions...

more insigh into this would be greatly appreciated

Shadow102 said:
i am suprised nobody has mentioned this yet but the older manifolds from what i can tell actually have smaller ports and runners. It will bolt up but i had a 97 626 mani in my possesion for a bit and the runner port was definatly smaller and no it did not have any butterflys. I got in on ken's original group buy over on another forum and for the price i spent i would do it again as this definatly made a difference.

Also as for the EGR i dont understand where it would reduce pinging and detonation the EGR DOES NOT work at WOT or idleing only at cruising speeds and what you would be doing at cruising speeds to initiate pinging is beyond me. The EGR is purely a emmisions device and alot of older cars do not come with them at all. My old SHO did not have one but because of the tight asses in the CA government wanted stricter regulation only the CA version SHO had a EGR.

Shadow102 said:
no they do match up however like it says the ports looked way smaller

oh, they "looked"
doesn't nessesarily means they are way too small

phew...

i'm still going for this....

we need a definite answer!!
lol

i wanna be the first one...

Alejo_NIN said:
oh, they "looked"
doesn't nessesarily means they are way too small

phew...

i'm still going for this....

we need a definite answer!!
lol

i wanna be the first one...

have fun just make sure you compare the port size of the old manifold to the new one

i will be measuring and see if it is alot of difference..
i will also check volumetric measurements (the old trick with the water)
to see how much bigger than stock this one is...i wish i could compare it to a 626 mani from ken....but i don't have neither the $$$ or access to one...

the runners do look smaller...i guess that helps with air velocity...and port and polish would be a good idea too...also maybe port matching??

i won't know until tomorrow when i really have it in my hands..

laters

Alejo_NIN said:
to see how much bigger than stock this one is...i wish i could compare it to a 626 mani from ken....but i don't have neither the $$$ or access to one...

use ATF for the volumetric measurements its more accurate but then again at that level it probly doesnt matter

regarding the egr valve and removing it....as stated in the attached...once removed/disabled the timing and or A/F ratio may need adjustment...this was also confirmed when i had a bad idle issue around 12K miles on my car...the dealer disabled the egr (waiting for a replacement) and told me "do not get on it" until you get the new valve...if you do you risk detonation..?
http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/egr.htm

bazooka joe said:
regarding the egr valve and removing it....as stated in the attached...once removed/disabled the timing and or A/F ratio may need adjustment...this was also confirmed when i had a bad idle issue around 12K miles on my car...the dealer disabled the egr (waiting for a replacement) and told me "do not get on it" until you get the new valve...if you do you risk detonation..?
http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/egr.htm

The chart on page F-125 of the Mazda 3rg gen Workshop Manual shows that the EGR valve only opens under relatively light loads between 1050 and 3850 rpm. It is closed at idle, deceleration, rpm above 3850, and heavy load. So it seems that there would be little benefit in disabling the system. The emission book, "Understanding Automotive Emissions Control," states that an engine may need it's timing retarded and/or the air/fuel mixture richened to prevent detonation but since the RX-7's valve is closed under wide open throttle we don't need our mixture richened. I've heard from several list members that have disabled the valve with no apparent change in engine operation.

something tells me the MSP runs plenty rich already and like i also stated the EGR doesnt work at WOT its strictly an emission thing that is there to reduce NOx

I disocnencted the egr pipe from the manifold and placed a breather since well..it only opens at idle and while warming up

so far i've never heard detonation boosting 10 psi, next mod would be to completly cut out the EGR and just let it hang around so that it doesn't give a CEL...

GhostMercury said:
and ill be your first customer :) ima go searching this weekend

Hey did you find anything on your search? if you havent yet PM me and ill go with ya cause i wanna find one too.... haha

Alejo_NIN said:

the runners do look smaller...i guess that helps with air velocity...and port and polish would be a good idea too...also maybe port matching??

i won't know until tomorrow when i really have it in my hands..

laters

post some pics of yours and i will do the same for open comparison.

Back